August 26th, 2008

Clinton to make 'compelling case' for Obama

Clinton will make a 'compelling case' for Obama, her spokesman said.
Clinton will make a 'compelling case' for Obama, her spokesman said.

(CNN) - In one of the most anticipated speeches of the week, Hillary Clinton will urge her backers - some of which remain wary of supporting Barack Obama - to unify behind the party's presumptive nominee.

Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines tells CNN the onetime rival of Obama will make a compelling case the Illinois senator must be the next President of the United States.

She will also express her appreciation for those who supported her primary bid and focus on the differences between Obama and McCain, not those between herself and the Illinois senator.

1. Greg, NY

The only compelling case she can make to get through to the thick headed 'PUMA's' is that she will not run in 2012 under any circumstances if Obama loses.

I think that might do it since they really think she'd get the nomination in 2012 for some strange reason. That doesn't make sense cause if Hillary is seen as the reason Obama lost, his supporters wouldn't support her. So good luck!

August 26, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  2. Peter

I think Hillary has done her job. Now it's Obama's job to win the election. Maybe he'll win the election if his people are less arrogant and do something substantial to unify the Democratic party. Obama's not going to win Hillary's supporters, if all he could do is to tell them to lick their wound and get over it.

I'll support McCain!

August 26, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  3. arc, Lugano CH

As a Democrat, I would never vote for her. Not now and not ever again. If her vile sewer campaign was not enough, the proud bigotry displayed by so many of her followers in W. Virginia and beyond sealed the deal.

I hope she is defeated in New York.

August 26, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  4. LET IT GO

She better because of her the Repubs are hitting Obama hard.

August 26, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  5. Connie

YES SHE WILL,YES WE CAN, OBAMA/BIDEN 08
    Connie from indiana

August 26, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  6. Hog Wild

I can't imagine how she can look herself in the face after supporting Obama given how he has slapped her and her family around. Does she not have a backbone?

August 26, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  7. United Democrats

The MEDIA has been painting you as an egotistical sore-loser. Please show them truth tonight Hillary and turn your back on the PUMA crybabies. Everyone knows you are committed to putting a democrat in the White House, let's work together to make it so!!!

Obama – Biden '08

August 26, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  8. Greg. PA

Hillary is just looking to get her 11 million dollars back. I don't believe a word she says, of course I don't believe a word Obama says either.

August 26, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  9. Kick McCain in the "Jesse Jacksons"

Bring the heat Hillary ...

You'll need to say , EXPLICITLY that Barack is the best person for the job.

You'll also need to say how JACKED-UP McCain would be on the issues, his temperment, and how his cognitive capabilities have declined since 2000. You got to see a new John McCain in 2008.

Let's see what we would have seen in a general election in your speach. It's your audition.

August 26, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  10. would you?

good going guys...together we can keep a womans right to choose, womans equal pay for equal work, get a universal health care, clean energy and end the war in Iraq.
    together we can stop McCain's draft, war in Iraq and Iran, tax cuts for the filthy rich, McCain's over turning RoevWade, McCain has 59 lobbyist running his campaign...the very same people who have broke this country

August 26, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  11. Joe Kiloz

W E--M U S T--V O T E --F O R --H I M--C U Z--H E' S-- T H E--

O N L Y--D E M O C R A T I C-– N O M I N E E ........

August 26, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  12. vic nashville,Tn

Hillary may accept Obama as nominee
    She can’t force her supporters to vote for Obama
    Life long democrat and strong Hillary supporter voting for Mc Cain

August 26, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  13. Kevin,FL

I respect Hillary Clinton, I supported her, but Hillary, I have to disagree, I WILL NEVER SUPPORT BARACK OBAMA – Clinton 2012

August 26, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  14. Debby

Why does she have to make a "Compelling Case" ? Obama/Biden should be able to do this on their own. I mean this is so ridiculous Obama and Biden riding on the coatails of Hillary. Why not just make her the nominee if these other 2 are so weak and she has to practically beg her supporters to vote for these guys. This is getting so stupid if this election rides on Hillary and she doesn't even have a position in the ticket.

August 26, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  15. Al

I am a Hillary supporter, a life long MA democrat - but I am not voting for Obama. Obama and the current collection of abusive democrats are just thugs. THUGS. I will not support them, not even out of respect for Hillary. I might have voted for her, but I am not going to be told HOW to vote by her. There is a difference. Obama's team of destruction doesn't realize this.

August 26, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  16. TSAH from Virginia

Hillary –
    Don't go chasing WATERFALLS
    Please stick to the RIVERS and the LAKES that you're used to!
    And I know you want to have it your way or no way at all
    But you have to slow yourself down...

I think Hillary would do just fine tonight – it's Mr. Clinton we have to worry about!!!

OBA-DEN 2008-2016 – YES WE CAN!!!

August 26, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  17. Jeannie, Sacramento, CA

This Clinton supporter is NOT backing Obama. Last night's convention was a disaster. The spineless Democrats sighed the night away ooohing and aaahing over Michelle Obama's contrived life story. They were supposed to throwing rocks at McCain! Seeing as Obama himself can't get in anyone's face, it was incumbent upon last night's leadership to help the party. Where is my Democratic Party? Obama would rather shoot 3-pointers playing hoops. He had to hire Biden to get into Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana to court the Clinton supporters over there.

Is anyone going to step up and do the Bill Clinton thing, stare the GOP in the face like he did Mike Wallace on Fox News, and tell it like it is? Waddup, Obama?

August 26, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  18. Rich

I don't think Hillary is the problem with the party coming together: it's some of her die hard followers. She will not be the candidate this time. There will be another time for her. Support the party's decision as you would like the decision supported when she's the candidate.

I will be glad to vote for Hillary next time. She will make a great president...just not now.

August 26, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  19. Nancy

No matter what she says, I'm voting for McCain so that I have a shot at voting for Hillary in 2012. I don't think McCain can last 8 years, and Obama? He doesn't deserve even a day in that White House. I've waited all this long for a good madame president, I can wait until 2012.

August 26, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  20. Jill in Chicago

I look forward to her run for the top spot, where she belongs, in the future.

August 26, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  21. John in NY

It's so simple,
    If the democrats win then Hillary has a nice position in the cabinet. If John McCain is president then Hillary better be very polite when she speaks.
    I say to all: vote McCain, it is time for Hillary to shine some shoes!

August 26, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  22. NotFallingInLine.org

Why does the media want Hillary to make a compelling case for obama so badly?

The media spun for Obama throughout the primaries, and now they ask: What will Hillary say tonight to convince Democrats to vote for an unknown, inexperienced, unqualified and unprincipled neophyte who sleazed off with a nomination that he did not earn and does not deserve?

Why should SHE have to convince me?

Isn't that Obama's job?

Besides, what can she say? Nothing.

August 26, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  23. BlameBarack-Colorado

I just saw the economic forum hosted by Biden and Michelle Obama and it was very touching. I didn't realize how important the decision of new judges would as it relates to our civil liberties. Basically, Joe explained that the judges McCain chooses are trying to not just take away the choice we have for equality but the right to claim that choice. That is scary for me as a woman. Obama/Biden for real now.

August 26, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  24. JJ in Chula Vista, CA

It's apparent what our problem is nowadays: The media like to wallow in the sensational aspects of the news, such as how disgrunted Hillary Clinton supporters are and the mudslinging behind it. What the media has to do instead is focus on the important issues so that people, the voters, can make an informed decision in November. Without that, as a society, we're destined to continue this hurricane spiral of discontent, disillusionment, and general malaise toward politics at a time when all eyes are on our political, economic and social health.

August 26, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  25. Greg, Texas

McCain 2008! Wait for the Republican National Committee! The Democrats are nothing!

August 26, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |