August 26th, 2008

Clinton to make 'compelling case' for Obama

Clinton will make a 'compelling case' for Obama, her spokesman said.
Clinton will make a 'compelling case' for Obama, her spokesman said.

(CNN) - In one of the most anticipated speeches of the week, Hillary Clinton will urge her backers - some of which remain wary of supporting Barack Obama - to unify behind the party's presumptive nominee.

Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines tells CNN the onetime rival of Obama will make a compelling case the Illinois senator must be the next President of the United States.

She will also express her appreciation for those who supported her primary bid and focus on the differences between Obama and McCain, not those between herself and the Illinois senator.

1. Judgement over Experience

She should after all the damage she has done.
    OBAMA/DIBEN 08 & 12

August 26, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  2. Joe Cheesehead, WI

Hillary was good in my books until she decided to throw the sink on Obama and when that didn’t work she sucker punched him and he never went down. But now we have to deal with those boomerangs that missed Obama and are now coming back after taking a turn in McCainville. I hope she’ll call Obama by his name tonight. I hope someone reminds her that Obama has only one opponent now and that is McCain. I also hope she doesn’t ask for money during her primetime spotlight.

I am a pro-life and my vote will NEVER EVER be a single issue vote and sad to say some of the contributors on these blogs and the Rush Limbaughs and Karl Roves of this USA provide very strong arguments for Planned Parenthood.

August 26, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  3. Chipster

Sen. Clinton has always focused on achieving the policies that she believes are best for the American people. She'd done that since high school. She did it in Arkansas. She has done it in the Senate. I see no indication that she will not continue to support and work with whomever will help achieve those goals. Yesterday, today, and tomorrow, she will work to make a better nation and world for us and our children.

You can criticize her. You can ridicule her. You can accuse her of anything you want. She will not be deterred. She will be an advocate for women, children, and families – regardless. Her strength is in her faith and her commitment to justice, equality, and stewardship.

August 26, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  4. Yam

I hope she's sincere and not just trying to further (or keep in tact) her political career. I doubt she'll be able to woo some of the PUMAs, but I would like to see her try!

August 26, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  5. United

Please CNN, try posting something logically asking for unity in this country, instead of trying to stir the pot and create more ratings……

I respect her for what she did, and what she's accomplished. That's what everyone in here should do. In the same breath, for those that are still angry with her not winning, the hatred gets yourself, and this country, no where. It only hurts all of us more and creates tension for so many people. For those that make negative comments toward her still, because you have never supported her, you do nothing but create tension between many people in this country also. The words of anger and hatred drive a spike between people in this country regardless of who you support (democratic, republican, independent, male, female, purple, green, etc.). We need to all be adults about this and remember that the people that all of this effects is our neighbors, our families, and ourselves. This is a time when so many of us have economic hardships that we must overcome. We all have a global competitive society that creates so many tensions within, and between, communities outside of this wonderful country. Yet, for some reason we as Americans continue to fight our own citizens and neighbors from within. We continue to raise animosity, anger, jealousy, and hatred toward one another and it continues to make us loose ground, and respect, in this world.

To everyone who is saying 'Hillary 2012' or 'Hillary 2016', and I respect that regardless of who I support, but if you ruin the election for Barack Obama this time around, it can be confidently said that she will have an amazingly difficult, possibly impossible, time being able to garner the needed votes next time the runs. Regardless of what may be right, there will be many people angry with her. Obama had 18+ million voters also and Hillary can not afford to disenfranchise those voters for any presidential campaign she may have in the future (the same as he can't disenfranchise her supporters).

Voting on revenge does NOTHING to help this country with the terrible state it's currently in, and her supporters will loose many of the political battles/stands they believe in if McCain wins because of their votes in November. You want to vote for someone who has almost all polar opposite beliefs then Clinton praised and believed in when she was running? You want to loose all of those battles, without even having a chance to fight them, with McCain in office. Did you really believe in what she said, she fought for, and she believed in, or did you believe in some idealogical image of her in office without any of what was behind it?

All that being said, anyone can understand a person being upset because their candidate did not win, but with some time for a breather and to think you must remember that some things are bigger then anyone of us individually. Remember if you vote for McCain you throw away the believes of Hillary, the 18 million that supported her, Obama and the 18 million that supported him, and hurt the future of this country. Are you willing to let your bitterness harm those many people (those close to you, those you believed in, those you love, etc.) and their beliefs?

August 26, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  6. john

obama will not win

August 26, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  7. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I respect Barack Obama, I supported him, but Barack, I have to agree, I WILL ALWAYS SUPPORT BARACK OBAMA – Obama 2008 and 2012.

August 26, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  8. galactic def klingon

The most compelling part of this dog and pony show will be when her tongue bleeds in from of the camera's–from biting it.

August 26, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  9. KATHLEEN

During th primaries, at a time, she spoke more highly of McCain
    and treated Obama as a downcast. SHE LIKED MCCAIN

August 26, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  10. Tim

Then Kevin, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Obama's 18 million voters will give Clinton a taste of her own medicine if Obama doesn't wil in 2008.

August 26, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  11. Chipster

Kevin, what are your goals for America? Do you really believe that McCain will fulfill them? If your goals are the same as Sen. Clinton's, how do you plan to achieve them over the next 4 years?

Seriously, think about what 4 more years of what we've had will do to our country.

August 26, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  12. Carroll in Washington , D.C.

I will be watching closely on every word and action. From what I've heard and seen so far, I don't trust her and them to show Barack Obama some respect for winning the primary and maybe the election in November...

August 26, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  13. Big Bill from Brooklyn

As I said before, the speech will be gracious to a fault. At the end, commentators will state that "Nothing became her life like the leaving of it," as Shakespeare said of the Thane of Cawdor. In Macbeth. The Scottish planso aptly recalled this political season.

August 26, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  14. Pepou

Thank you.

August 26, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  15. MJC

I hope so.....Hillary please make me proud.

August 26, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  16. jen

If Obama loses I will work against her next run at office....

August 26, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  17. Ya think?

Breaking news. Thank God for CNN.

August 26, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  18. Angela

UNITY is better than WAR

McCain = Fear tactics = War, War, War is the only thing on his mind!!!

August 26, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  19. Vigla

Guys, I can't say how many times I've seen LOSE spelled LOOSE. LOSE is the opposite of WIN. LOOSE is the opposite of TIGHT.

Sorry, I had to rant my spelling lesson for the day...

Obama/Biden 08

August 26, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  20. CMC

I am really tired of people pinning Barack Obama's difficulties on Hillary Clinton and her supporters. Has it occurred to anyone yet that some of us don't like Barack Obama, and that we were Hillary Clinton supporters because she was the only choice that felt acceptable. Still feel the same way, and it has nothing to do with Hillary! Barack is arrogant and pretentious, and as far as I can tell he can't talk with any level of substance about much of anything. And yes- I made that decision myself, not because Hillary or anyone else told me to, but because that is how I feel!.

August 26, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  21. mike

Texas loves you Hillary!!! You have done what you could to unite the party. Now Obama has to step up!

August 26, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  22. Deb

Thank you Hillary for rising above and supporting Senator Obama and all democrats in our fight for the White House. When all is said and done I know you will be a strong presence on Obama's staff.

August 26, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  23. Emma

If Senator Clinton is a "SHAM" tonight as she speaks, the American people will know it and especially Black Americans. If she ever has a wish to become President of these United States, she better hit a home run with the bases loaded.

I will be looking for sincerity, honesty and the will for her to say to all those PUMAS, "grow up and get a life" accept Senator Obama or get out of his way!

August 26, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  24. California Gold

Hillary: Forget making a 'compelling case'. This is not a debate. You have to switch gears. You must stand up as a leader in the Democrat party. Not as a candidate: you have to be a leader. Think of Senator Kennedy's speech last night. Everytime I hear you, you still sound like you are campaigning, still leaving the door open to run. This isn't about you. This is about electing a Democrat President.

August 26, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  25. Teresa

The only thing I will get from Hillary Clintons speech is how great it is to be a woman in the 21st century and how many opportunities I have along with the ability to vote. I will try to forget the last eight months were other candidates attempted to undermine that and are now solicitating my vote.... Experience is VERY inportant to me and I HAVE to vote based on the priority. Obama needs to understand "He is on his own until November and there can be NO scapegoats as to why he lost". I am confident if he were to win Hillary would get no credit.

August 26, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |