August 26th, 2008

Clinton to make 'compelling case' for Obama

Clinton will make a 'compelling case' for Obama, her spokesman said.
Clinton will make a 'compelling case' for Obama, her spokesman said.

(CNN) - In one of the most anticipated speeches of the week, Hillary Clinton will urge her backers - some of which remain wary of supporting Barack Obama - to unify behind the party's presumptive nominee.

Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines tells CNN the onetime rival of Obama will make a compelling case the Illinois senator must be the next President of the United States.

She will also express her appreciation for those who supported her primary bid and focus on the differences between Obama and McCain, not those between herself and the Illinois senator.

1. Migrant workers for McCain

Please do not do it Hillary. I am more convinced than ever they only say what people want to hear. After listening to Michelle yesterday (and her tight-nose breathes) how fake she is. She was depriving her brain of oxygen by holding her breathe. Did you notice the FAKE word on her forehead. Latinos for McCain.

August 26, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  2. Filipina

Thank you Hilary maybe when you run for President I MIGHT vote for you, it depends on your stupid supporters.
    Obama/Biden

August 26, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  3. Jaime

i support obama because i support hillary. she's not the monster you make her out to be.

August 26, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  4. mel from Ohio

It's about time!!! If Hillary and her self absorbed husband would take a look at how THEY ran their sloppy campaign and stop blaming everybody else, then they could put the primaries behind them and move forward for the sake of the DNC which, by the way, is a lot bigger than they are- even though they don't seem to recognize that!!

August 26, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  5. Ob Idaho

What blows me away is this bitter mood from Clinton supporters. To spite their face they cut off there nose. They feel "payback" on Barack by saying they are going to vote for McCain? The huge question is WHY? You call yourself a democrat but if you vote for McCain it goes AGAINST every ISSUE you believe in...and you gain what out of this??? I personally can NOT take another 4 years of a Republican led White House. I just dont understand the whole, he dosent have expereince he dosent know this ...etc. WHO DOES? Being President is a whole different ball game, YOU act like he wont surround himself with the smartest people on earth to help him LEAD this country out of the pit of a hole 8 years of Bush have left us in. Personally McCain seems to be the guy out of touch and has no Idea what the PEOPLE want or need. LOOK AT HIM its like looking at a pet rock. Sorry I just need to vent. THE MAIN GOAL here if you are LOOKING for change is to get a fresh face and ideas into the White House, a Democrat. If these Radical Clinton Supporters or PUMAs or whatever CAN not see thru that simple goal, YOU were never a democrat in the frist place.

August 26, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  6. obama/not biden '08

we'll see. its not what she says ,so much as how she says it. she does not sound convincing at this point. if dems dont stop their squabbling,independent and republican crossovers ,who support barack,will be left out in the cold.

August 26, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  7. James

Why are people sniping about this befroe she even gets a chance to speak?

I think the MSM is jumping all over this fake "controversy".

I say, wait and see: Hillary will speak tonight. Judge her after that. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

If she gives a great speech for the party, I will applaud.

August 26, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  8. Fred

There is nothing she could say that would compell me to vote for Obama. He is the least qualified candidate for president I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of under qualified candidates.

August 26, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  9. Steve of Pekin

I think the press is making more of this than what it really is. If you noticed last night if you skipped through the channels, the only thing that all the networks could talk about was how the Clintons were going to react. The best one (sorry NBC) was when Pelosi got through with her speach and and when Anne Couric interviewed her. It was all about what Hiliary would think about this speech, do you think that the Hilary supporters will come through for Barack. I wanted to puke.
    I just wish all the networks would get back to reporting the news not trying to make it. There were a lot of speeches last night that no one heard since all the networks were too busy putting there own spin on everything. I eventually turned to CSPAN where I could actually watch the convention not listen to a bunch of bullcrap.
    Networks, just shutup and let us make up our own minds thank-you.

August 26, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  10. Marc PDX

The intrigue behind this story: Hillary will, no doubt, do a good job backing Obama in her speech. But what will Bill do tomorrow night? Obama didn't do anything to mend fences with Bill by not making him the keynote speaker Wednesday (Biden is). But I have a feeling Bill will make sure that he IS the keynote for the evening. And what he's going to say is anybody's guess.

August 26, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  11. Sue

Hillary Rocks!

I am hopeful that her speech tonight will quiet all the sexist pundits out there who continually berate her for doing exactly the same thing that male candidates do.

Her speech tonight will show America the dedicated public servant she has been for her entire adult life.

August 26, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  12. the other jd

So you "Clinton 2012" people–you are willing to let McBush put this country through 4 more years of Bush financial policies? You are willing to let McBush name the new Supreme Court justices? You are willing to let us get deeper in debt with the Chinese so that we can fund McBush's war against Iran? I like Hillary. If she had won the nomination, I would have voted for her. But there are bigger things at stake than your hurt feelings.

August 26, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  13. Independent-Minded American

Obama's hands were tied with respect to selecting Hillary for VP. The republicans would have killed the ticket with all her negative comments and ads about Obama. See what they're doing with Biden's one line and with Hillary's stuff right now.

Trust me, her political future is much brighter if Obama wins than if he loses.

1. If Obama wins, she'll become the most powerful person in the senate... perhaps majority leader... or she can take a powerful cabinet position... or be nominated to the Supreme Court...

2. If Obama loses, everyone will blame it on her, AND Obama will win the nomination in 2012 in a landslide anyway....

August 26, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  14. shannon

She supports him publicly while praying that he loses in November. If Obama win, her aspirations to be President are dead.

August 26, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  15. NORA, FLORIDA

The reality of the matter that those die hard Hillary supporters are forgetting is this: If Obama wins, Hillary will without a doubt have a position in his cabinet. Then she can pay off her debt.

However, if McCain win, she will be back to peanuts in the Senate. For PUMA's to claim fame to being so BRIGHT, they must be working of a 5 WATT bulb.

August 26, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  16. Theresa

Why is it Ms. Clinton's job to get Obama elected?????? He should be able to stand on his own merit, if he wants to be president.

I believe CNN keeps dragging Hillary into this election, so Obama and the media can blame Ms. Clinton whe he loses to Mcain in November.

Hillary Clinton was a presidential hopeful, same as Edwards, Richardson, Biden etc.... why does every finger point to her when things go wrong and not at the rest of the pack....She should be able to sit back and watch...just like the others.

If you would leave her alone and stop blaming the Clinton's for Obama's every wrong move, you will be able to see that he doesn't have enough to win this thing.

It seems you all have to keep the Clinton's in the limelight....for blaming purposes.

Stay strong Hillary 2012 is just around the corner....then you can say" I told you so".

August 26, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  17. Paula, CA

Hmmm, ok Hillary we'll give you another chance.

The fact of the matter is that Hillary Clinton and her husband are not doing enough to get Barack Obama elected... Period. It is also painfully obvious that quite a few of Hillary Clinton's supporters are not truly in support of her or her ideals, which are 98% identical to Barack Obama's. It is a sad day when we have a "house divided against itself." No true democrat would ever vote for John McCain, they may not vote for Barack Obama, but they would never vote FOR McCain (who's policies are completely contrary to what we stand for as democrats).

I hope Hillary fixes her mess, she ran a rather slimy campaign to ensure 2 options: her victory or Obama's demise. She was never concerned about party unity or getting a democrat in office, only about winning.

I can only have HOPE that the democrats will be united enough to take back Washington!

We'll see.... Obama/Biden '08

August 26, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  18. Debra

Any Clinton supporter that votes for McCain for revenge that she did not get the nomination goes against everythng she stood for. There was a lot of mud slinging between Obama and Clinton but thier policies and stance on issues are very similar. McCain is a great war hero but his policies and stance on issues is way to the right of her's. Stay home and don't vote if you are that displeased and throw your support for Clinton in 2012 (if she indeed runs). McCain is just 4 more years of Bush where we have a war that has only killed and injured our soldiers, made the rich richer, created a huge deficit, etc. etc. etc. none of it good.

August 26, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  19. Franky

Boooo!!! Hillary sucks!!! Just for now, just for now, LOL!!

August 26, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  20. Biffington, Biff

Notfallinginline said;

Why should SHE have to convince me?

Isn't that Obama's job?

_ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

THE PROBLEM IS.... HE IS, AND HAS BEEN 'TRYING'...

PEOPLE LIKE YOU (and republican puma posers) 'REFUSE' to even LISTEN TO THE MAN.

August 26, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  21. NK

to Untitled – KUDOS! Thank you for that message....I think you should post your comment on some of these other articles. It continues to baffle me everytime I hear of a Clinton supporter jumping ship to vote for McCain or worse yet, staying at home on election day. Clinton and Obama had pretty much the same platform, the same ideas, but just different means to get there, yet some people really are just caught up in the notion of Hillary being the first woman to run for President that they can't see that. Bottomline, if you're a Democrat for Hillary, you should be a Democrat for Obama. Just the same if you're a Republican for a candidate other than McCain, you should STILL be a Republican and support your party.

August 26, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  22. Amber

I love this woman. I've loved her since I was 15...I'm now 28. I'd do anything for her....I'd even take a bullet for her. There's just one thing I can't do that she's asking.....I will never vote for that disrespectful, arrogant, pusillanimous Barack Obama. NEVER! I'd cut off my own arm first.

August 26, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  23. Olivia

I will never support Obama.

August 26, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  24. Curliss

Once we have elected McCain into office, perhaps next time they will listen to the 18,000,000 strong Hillary supporters ...

Go Hillary! 2012!

August 26, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  25. Matt Woodring

For those who keep saying she liked McCain, the heck she did she was only saying that during the primaries because its typical political ways of attepmting to win. She's a true democrat and wants all of you to vote Obama so her chances are better in 2012! WAKE UP!

August 26, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |