August 26th, 2008

Clinton to make 'compelling case' for Obama

Clinton will make a 'compelling case' for Obama, her spokesman said.
Clinton will make a 'compelling case' for Obama, her spokesman said.

(CNN) - In one of the most anticipated speeches of the week, Hillary Clinton will urge her backers - some of which remain wary of supporting Barack Obama - to unify behind the party's presumptive nominee.

Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines tells CNN the onetime rival of Obama will make a compelling case the Illinois senator must be the next President of the United States.

She will also express her appreciation for those who supported her primary bid and focus on the differences between Obama and McCain, not those between herself and the Illinois senator.

1. Lisa

Why are they trying to make Clinton give up her delegates to Obama? Are they afraid that the superdelegates will vote for her instead of Obama? Isn't it the superdelegates job to select the person they feel is the best qualified candidate to run this country? Once again the election was stolen and it was set up for Mccain to win.

August 26, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  2. jimmy

PLANET.

August 26, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  3. Julie

I think Hillary is very gracious in showing support for Obama in an effort to show unity with the Democratic party. However, the rest of us millions of voters who wanted her as President will still have a voice in this election even though our votes were disregarded. The only way to show Hillary that she was the best one for the job is to vote for McCain. As a lifelong Democrat, and having raised my sons to be Democrats, we will all be voting for a GOP president this November.

To all the high level Democrats......will you disregard us now?

August 26, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  4. Lourdes

Yeah, vote for McCain, that'll show 'em. Watch your schools continue to deteriorate and your healthcare, mortgages, and energy bills get more and more expensive and feel satisfied that you cut of your nose to spite your face.

PUMAS- you are voting against Hillary's life work if you vote for McCain. How does that show you love and respect her?

August 26, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  5. Herman in LA

As I read this post I can already tell there is Unity beginning in our part because there are only 53 post as I speak where there would have been hundreds of post by now so there you go.

August 26, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  6. Watching

Looking forward to CNN showing the outside of the convention center as well as the inside.

August 26, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  7. ChicoSez

I was a Hillary supporter and now I'm voting for John McCain. The Obama camp has made it clear time and again that they neither need or want the Hillary vote. McCain has made it clear that he does want my vote. Why don't I do what Hillary wants me to do and back Obama? Because while I am a fervent supporter of Hillary Clinton, I am not a follower of hers. I vote the way I want to, not the way I'm told to. PUMA

August 26, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  8. Greg M.

Thank you Hillary , for doing the right thing, God bless you.

August 26, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  9. Lisa

Who cares what Obama supporters have to say? They need our vote we don't need their.

August 26, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  10. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

The voters have spoken and Obama was elected as the presumptive Democratic nominee. The days of honoring Hillary Clinton and her whiny supporters should come to a close tonight. There is nothing more for her to say......the voters have already spoken....and they will just be words spoken without a heartbeat. Tonight should conclude the last three stages of her political campaign; Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance. The first two have already concluded, Denial and Anger. The Democrats need to focus on the "now" and not what could have been if they are going to defeat McCain.

August 26, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  11. Richard

Hillary supporter for McCain!!!!!!!!!

August 26, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  12. Paula, CA

Mark my words:

IF BARACK OBAMA LOSES THIS ELECTION, HILLARY CLINTON WILL NEVER BE PRESIDENT!!!!

Or do these PUMAs (aka closet republicans) forget that Obama also has over 18 million supporters?!?!

Obama/Biden '08

August 26, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  13. AB

Everyone talks about 18,000,000 Hillary supporters – where are they? Shouldn't her debt be retired by now? Shouldn't every blog in America be filled to overflowing with PUMA support? Shouldn't every poll show some impact from the insignificant PUMA rebellion?

I don't believe there are 18,000,000 Hillary PUMA-type supporters. I believe that most of the rhetoric is coming from a bunch of Republicans – and possibly a few disgruntled voters.

August 26, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  14. Curchel

I dont understand these die-hard Clinton supporters. Why won't they accept that she lost? Why are the going to punish the country with a third Bush turn just to "punish the democratic party?" Having Mccain as president is not going to make any of our every day lives easier, and it might make it much worst.

August 26, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  15. People make no sense

Obama supporters – please stop replying to these "so called" Hillary supporters. If they were really Hillary supporters she wouldn't still be in debt now would she? They are fake, stupid liars. Let them vote for whomever. If you read there comments they are not intelligent enough for you to waste your time. These idiots say, "it is not her job to help get Obama elected." That is the dumbest thing ever said. Didn't Hillary herself say that she helped retain seats for fellow democrats? That's how our system works. So, please stop having discussions with these stupid people.

Let them vote for whomever and hopefully they will receive what they ask for. I need to laugh when they are getting kicked out of their homes, rights are taken away, or children are shipped to die because a man who's only claim to war is being captured, sends their children to die. What a good laugh I will have when they are crying and beginning their anti-mccain fight latter in life!

August 26, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  16. That's Reality

Come on you guys, Hillary REALLY does believe McCain would make a better president than Obama. The only reason she's willing to flip-flop, again, and say she's for Obama is so she can run on the democrats' ticket for pres in 2012. Obama had to bring on Biden because he needs someone to tell him what to do and he knows Michelle just doesn't have quite enough experience either. This Obama/Biden team is really going to screw things up if they get in. More government control, more tax-payer money hauled in so they can dole it out to welfare recipients so those folks will vote for them and keep them in power so they can keep stealing your money. I'm all for charity but I'd like the CHOICE of giving to those who really NEED it not to the lazies. Where are the Pro-Choice people on this issue?

McCAin 2008 !!!

August 26, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  17. Jack

Go Hillary, now we can go and kick some RNC butt!!!!!!!
    Stay on target.

Obama'08

August 26, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  18. Michael

Clinton Supporter for McCain, you would sacrifice the well-being of our entire country over a personal grudge? This isn't just your country, how dare you be so selfish! You would rather see America in the toilet than Obama in the White House? What's wrong with you? This isn't about Hillary and it's not about Obama... it's about America! It seems as though it's not about America for you. It's about hubris. How vain, how childish, how selfish.

Thanks for nothing.

August 26, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  19. BillShneiderDaMan

Mrs. Clinton is a very honorable person. However my vote still goes to McCain. Obama is not capable of handling the economy and is very slow to react to international crisis such as the one in Georgia.

August 26, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  20. juana

I AM NOT INSULTING HILLARY BY NOT VOTING FOR O. but I am protesting the horrible way she was treated by the people of her party and on this CNN forum. How odd that now dems are asking for unity and wants those of us who cannot stomach O. to vote for him? She has not choice but to kneel and worship O. but we who will not vote for KING Obama do not have to grovel, we have pride and respect for ourselves which IS more important than so-called party unity. For those who said so many awful things about Hillary, shame on you for wanting her now to ask her supporters to unite behind O. Sorry, not me and I am praying that millions of others who supported her will have the presence of mind and pride to say NO WE WON'T GO!

August 26, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  21. ANGIE

Lisa
    Hillary wants to give up her delegates for UNITY!!

August 26, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  22. JJ

Make a compelling case, then get the heck out the way!

August 26, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  23. Ron

I would bet Hillary would be surprised at the stupidity shown by all of you who are urging a vote for McCain to get " even". I don't think any of us want another 4 years ( 8 has been 8 too many ) of a Bush presidency and with McCain, that's exactly what we would get. I believe Hillary knows it will take everything we have to get behind Obama to ensure we don't have another 4 years of the Republican regime in office – frankly, I don't know if our economy could stand it! Please rethink your position and vote for Obama.

August 26, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  24. Voting Obama

I turest HRC will. I have been a fan of hers. But this is tiem for Obama. regardless of what lies created, Obama did not bash her. People made up awful lies about him because they were bitter.

Dems take over the white house

Obama 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 26, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  25. Obama/Biden 08

The comment section for "McCain camp revives 3 a.m. ad" is closed so I will put my comment in this one. People should remember that all the threats that have emerged come under the watch of George W. Bush. If we worry about these threats we should not elect someone who pledged to continue Bush's foreign policy (McCain) to become the next president. As for the argument that Bush is not responsible for all bad things in the world, you are right. But think about this. McCain, like Bush, is blaming Obama and the Democrats for the high gas prices. Hillary's supporters should laugh at that claim. As they like to say, Obama is not even in the Senate long enough to make any difference, and McCain is saying that he caused the high gas prices? As for the Democrats getting the blame for high gas prices, consider that Bush had spent more time in office before the 9/11 attack than the Democratic Congress has been in session. Maybe we should also blame Bush for 9/11.

August 26, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |