August 26th, 2008

Clinton to make 'compelling case' for Obama

Clinton will make a 'compelling case' for Obama, her spokesman said.
Clinton will make a 'compelling case' for Obama, her spokesman said.

(CNN) - In one of the most anticipated speeches of the week, Hillary Clinton will urge her backers - some of which remain wary of supporting Barack Obama - to unify behind the party's presumptive nominee.

Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines tells CNN the onetime rival of Obama will make a compelling case the Illinois senator must be the next President of the United States.

She will also express her appreciation for those who supported her primary bid and focus on the differences between Obama and McCain, not those between herself and the Illinois senator.

1. sky

She is going to have to do a LOT of talking because she set these people up to be this angry. She made herself look like he was victimizing her and they believed it. There are still commentators (I head one on CNN yesterday) who still make it sounds like he was sexist to her. Show me ONE instance. And yet.....they still believe it....as if he stole something from her. It is not logical. She has a LOT of damage to repair. Barack is a great man who can help us.....and she spent so much time trashing him.....in such manipulative and intrinsic ways......i don't know how easy it will be to overcome that damage in one speech.

August 26, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  2. Carol

I believe Sen. Clinton has a done a great job in supporting Obama. They way she has been supported by Obama I believe to be the problem in mending the Democratic party. I would have given a one time apperance in my support and called it a day. Just as some of the other supporters have done. She is a gret lady!

Carol

August 26, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  3. tom

i just dont get it about hillary supporters, so you dont like obama so you will vote for more bush policies from mccain....wow! why not stay home but dont destroy this nation just because your candidate didnt get the nomination.

August 26, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  4. sky

....one other thing....it makes no sense to me why you at CNN are spending so much time on how she and Bill feel. It is of no consequence.
    How does she feel? WHat is she going to do? Is she upset? That has nothing to do with anything.

August 26, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  5. Abul

You don't support a person just for her last/first name, you suppoert her because what she believes and what she has done. But if you think taking McCain' side will justify your revenge against Obama then you are not just wrong, you are against Hillary and what she believe and what she stand for and why you so proud of her.
    I can't even think of anyone will support McCain considering how the Repablican ran the country last 8 years.
    PLEASE WHAKE UP!!!!!!!!!
    DON'T DESTROY OUT FUTURE!!!!!!
    WE ARE THE ONE WILL PAY THE PRICE OF OUR BAD CHOICE!!!!!

August 26, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  6. Bob, CA

Look at all the turncoats in here. Amazing, you should all be exiled.

August 26, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  7. Polly

Obama should practice what he preaches, how dare he not pick her as his running mate. He listened to the old wise men to do his bidding and I hope he pays dearly. As in the words of Fred Sanford:
    "YOU BIG DUMMY"

August 26, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  8. vb

If your against Roe V. Wade Hillary supporters, go ahead vote for McCain, he will fight hard to get rid that case by his first term.

August 26, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  9. Catherine

Thank you Hillary...now we can finally unify and focus on the most important thing, winning in November against the corrupt and hypocritical republicans that have failed us. That is clearly what's best for our families and for America.

August 26, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  10. DonnieJ

To: "Huge Hill supporter"

I'm an Obama supporter who has said some nasty things about Clinton. I agree – let's make nice and get the party infighting behind us. The stakes are way too high, and the interests of Clinton supporters and Obama supporters are much more aligned than our bickering would suggest.

That was easy! Now let's "surge" in November to the polls.

August 26, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  11. Mike, Syracuse NY

Why is it that Hillary is singled out to hand over her supporters to Obama all wrapped in a bow? Isn't it Obama's job to reach out and convince them he's the best person for the job? If he can't 'sell' himself to his own party, he deserves to lose. I've never heard Obama ask for Hillary's supporters to vote for him. Marketing 101, ask the person to make the purchase!

August 26, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  12. CM

Oh and the 'mighty' PUMA could only muster 8 protesters at the convention?

I think you guys who donated towards that grand total of 50k got taken for a ride.

August 26, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  13. herbie

Don't understand why the Hillary diehards think anyone who didn't support her because of her cheerleading for the George W Bush Iraq disaster or were afraid of having Bill Clinton back in the spotlight didn't "treat her fairly".

Would be nice if they could explain to us why we should overlook those things.

August 26, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  14. Julie

To those who think we Hillary supporters don't exist because "she would be out of debt by now"..........do you think we have to PROVE our support by giving her money to help clear her political debt? I don't think that's how it works. Those that can, fine, but to the rest of us, we will show our support for Hillary by voting for McCain in November.

August 26, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  15. JJ

Make whatever case. doesn't matter we are still not voting for obama. Not this election. Not ever.

August 26, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  16. sherry for Obama

YOU DARN RIGHT SHE WILL.........OBAMA PROBABLY HAD TO PROMISE TO PAY OFF HER DEBT BEFORE SHE WOULD.

HER PUMAS WHO THINK SO HIGHLY OF HER ARE ALL TALK.....THEY WOULDNT HELP HER.

August 26, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  17. W. Taylor

I am supporting Obama. I don't believe McCain is knowledgeable enough on the economy and he doesn't have an ounce of diplomacy in his bones. I don't believe he can lead this country and really the world into the new century. I just don't see it in him. If Hillary is really genuine tonight, I think all of us who are Democrats will appreciate that. For those of you who will vote for McCain who are Hillary supporters, I hope your choice is not because of spite because I can't put up with another 4 years of silliness just because feelings were hurt. Trust me, people won't forget in 2012. Remember, Obama got 18 million votes too ;)

August 26, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  18. Tony

You go girl!

August 26, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  19. WeBoDave

What is the point of working against a compelling case to vote for Senator Obama who would help Senator Clinton enact her agenda as Senator from New York? By withholding your support of her parties nominee or voting for Senator McCain you will actively obstruct her agenda. Please don't let your anger get in the way of accomplishing some of your goals and do not listen to the poser Republicans sowing this discontent.

August 26, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  20. Whatever

Perhaps, Obama supporters should rise above and graciously accept Hillary Clinton supporters instead of being snarky and hateful. I wonder why there is no unity....

August 26, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  21. mike s.

Sorry, Hillary, but I can't support Thin Resume Obama. It's also unfortunate that given the terrible things that Obama supporters continue to say about you that you have to stoop so low as to do Obama's bidding for him. Guess that's because he is incapable of doing much of anything himself.

PUMA.

McCain '08.

August 26, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  22. Chris

LOL...the so call PUMA' s on this board are probably plants by the GOP. Democrats will be in the White House this time around you can bet on that!!!
    No more time for the games of the GOP!!!
    HRC will rock tonight in this speech!!!
    McCain is already showing his true colors by his attack ads. All the attacks he is putting out say nothing about what he will do for the Country!! So, you people don't be fooled by the games of the GOP!!!

August 26, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  23. Master Yoda

Hard time believing this, I have. Hmmmmmm.

August 26, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  24. www.votesmartly2008.com

Nothing Compelling about Obama we will try again in 4 years until then McCain all the way in 2008, the upside down democratic party did this loss to there selves slapping a lot in the face!

August 26, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  25. steve

Hillary's supporters drive me crazy. They would rather put a conservative Republican in the White House, and even more of the ultra conservative justices on the Supreme Court than we already have than vote for someone whose policies and beliefs are very similar to Hillary. Because of them we will have four more years of the same. The election is pretty much lost already.

If Hillary's supporters alienate half of the Democratic party, who do her supporters expect will elect her in 2012 after they have deliberately sabotaged Barack Obama? I will vote for Hillary if she gets nominated in 2012, but many Obama supporters probably will not do so and I will not blame them. I probably will not vote for Hillary in the 2012 primaries because of her supporters, as they certainly do not deserve to get their candidate nominated, although I am not sure Hillary should be punished for the childishness of her supporters.

I can only hope all of the incredibly cynical Republican advertising that seeks to exploit the anger, bitterness, childishness and sheer stupidity of many of Hillary's supporters will wake them up before it is too late.

August 26, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |