August 26th, 2008

Clinton to make 'compelling case' for Obama

Clinton will make a 'compelling case' for Obama, her spokesman said.
Clinton will make a 'compelling case' for Obama, her spokesman said.

(CNN) - In one of the most anticipated speeches of the week, Hillary Clinton will urge her backers - some of which remain wary of supporting Barack Obama - to unify behind the party's presumptive nominee.

Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines tells CNN the onetime rival of Obama will make a compelling case the Illinois senator must be the next President of the United States.

She will also express her appreciation for those who supported her primary bid and focus on the differences between Obama and McCain, not those between herself and the Illinois senator.

1. Spencer from VA

she better do something right. she's already managed to do everything wrong.

August 26, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  2. LATINOS DEMOCRATS FOR MCCAIN

My friends and I feel very insulted that Senator Obama, ignored the 18 millions of Clinton supporters and chose Biden as his running mate, as a female Latina, I feel very insulted and will not vote for Obama, no matther what the others are saying, We Latinos are not intimidated very easily and to prove so, my friends and I will vote for Senator
    McCain. LATINO DEMOCRATS MCCAIN. PERIOD.

August 26, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  3. sky

Gergen is doing it right this second on CNN saying Clinton was....."treated unfairly by the Obama campaign....." ...hard for her supporters to get over it.....
    Are you kidding me......???? cut the crap. We've all watched this from the very beginning.....show me where Obama has treated her badly.....one instance.......get over it......she isnt a victim.....quit spouting crap....it is destructive

August 26, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  4. Rob

Come on, cant we just get Hilary in there before we loose the election completely?

August 26, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  5. Griff

Your a FOOL! Hillary. They will still blaim you when he loses...

August 26, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  6. Rudy NYC

While such a speech may seem insulting or demeaning to Mrs. Clinton, it is a required step is she wants to have any political future. All of you who think that she has done more for Obama than any candidate has done for an opponent in history, YOU ARE RIGHT.

But, you're correct for entirely the wrong reasons. Clinton must do this just as much for her own sake as Obama's.

August 26, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  7. vw

How can we still call you a fighter, Senator Clinton?
    You are almost kicked out of the political circle by your opponent OB but you don't know what is "fighting", so sad about you...

August 26, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  8. Jorge

When all is said and done, the words of Winston Chuchill will prevail, "The people will get the kind of government they deserve."
    Falling for the Republican brand of superficial thinking and campaign slogans has certainly proven that during the last two general elections.

August 26, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  9. David

Either Obama OR Clinton would be better than McCain. Anybody who considers themselves a Democrat should have no problem voting for Obama and should be horsewhipped if they vote for McCain. McCain is all about war. He wants to be a war-time President and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces....period! This nation's economy and the financial welfare of it's citizens will pay dearly if he becomes President. His philosophy is world domination by having a bigger stick than anyone else and brandishing it to beat people into submission. Diplomacy through threats and fear tactics. Thats how he runs his campaign and thats how he would run the White House. Our reputation as a world leader has been badly tarnished by George Bush and Dick Cheney. A John McCain presidency would only serve to further diminish our standing, our credibility, and our future on the world stage.

August 26, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  10. To DonnieJ

Thank you!

You made my day. You really did.

I hope Obama can woo me over. I really do. It's been tough.

When the primary started there's was nothing I wanted more than a Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton ticket.

I hope things can turn around. I will keep an open mind. You have my word.

Thanks again.

August 26, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  11. Stephina

I'm surprised that Hillary or Bill Clinton would even want to appear at the DNC let alone speak there after the way they were treated by their party..

She owes the Democratic Party and Obama NOTHING!!!!

I can't wait see McCain win in November. It is exactly what the sexist and ignorant members of the DNC DESERVE. There boy is going down in November!!!!

August 26, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  12. Obiden

Well gallup poll shows Mcsame leading by 2pts now so you Hillary supports you might get Bush again for another 8yrs good luck to you all because if Obama doesnt win its because of all you fake democrates pretending out there.Hillary better start getting her supporters on board if not supreme court bye bye.

August 26, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  13. proud army and navy mom

IT IS NOT HER JOB TO SELL THE EMPTY SUIT>>>>IF HE CANT SELL HIMSELF ITS HIS PROBLEM

August 26, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  14. McCane Straight Lies

Mc Lames record on Womens Issues is a ZERO.

Any woman voting for McCane other than his Mother or 2nd Wife is insane.

Voting against your own self interests is Insanity.

As for the Men that would vote for him... Trying to get a different result by continuing the same failed methods over and over is also Insanity.

August 26, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  15. KATHLEEN

McCain for President. No, Bush and Cheney will always have
    CONTROL. McCain will need them to tell him how to run the
    country.

August 26, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  16. Election Watcher

Obama supporters are behaving like spoiled children who win at a parlor game. Rtaher than embracing disenfranchise Dems, they thumb their noses yelling "Nyaah, nyahh! My candidate beat yours!" How can anyone hope for a unified party under these conditions

August 26, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  17. David Newport, OR

What a leader does is what is right for the country. She should stand up and say "I will not run in 2012 if Obama loses". Her "followers" who chose to destroy the party are not true Democrats. Any "true" leader would not be having such a difficult time getting their followers to do what they ask. Obviously, the right choice was made.

August 26, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  18. faye, NV

Cinton is absolutely correct, this should not be about her and Obama, but it should be about taking the White House from these Idoits who have screwed up this nation.

I ask all of you that supported Clinton to think about it her views and Obama are almost the same. If you are truly her supporter than why not support who she has chosen to support.

Or, perhaps some are not Dem

August 26, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. Shannon

As a strong supporter of Barack Obama, I agree that Hillary Clinton took some hard hits especially from the media. Unfortunately, I don't see any change in the media's coverage. So much for growth. As for her speech tonight, I know she'll do great and I'll be blogging about it afterward to show my support for her.

August 26, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  20. S. Boatman

You Had Better Dig Down Deep, Swallow Your Pride And Find Your Voice!

August 26, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  21. Hello!!!

Can someone tell Obama that HE and HE ALONE is responsible for HIS winning or losing.

August 26, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  22. Enlightened

No one cares about the PUMAs... the real Democrats are united!

Obama/Biden '08

August 26, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  23. sue

The venom that some Obama supporters have for Hilary astounds me. Same for some Hilary supporters have for Obama.

Ok, we get it. You love Obama or Hilary and that's it (for the diehards anyway). But please remember that whomever you support – the person (which is Obama) the dems are running against for the presidency is MCCAIN.

Please focus here... Obama is running against McCain.

As for her speech tonight. I fully expect Clinton will back Obama and be gracious about it. She lost. She knows that. And it would be political suicide to do otherwise. And whether you like her or not – she's smart and she won't do that.

Now as for her supporters – it is Clinton's job to let them know she is supporting Obama (which she has already done) and ask them to do the same (which she has already done). It is NOT her job to convince them that he is the only one running for president this year that should be elected. That is Obama's job to convince people he is the right person for the job.

August 26, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  24. MIKE

Well if i was Hillary i would tell Obama if you want my supporters to back you, you have to work for them it's not Hillary's job to get her supporters to back him, it's Obama's job. But i will's tell all Obama supporter's that there is only one man that can get us out of the s**t that bush has put us in and that's god so if your not going to vote for Hillary are Obama then Vote for GOD 08!!!!!!!

August 26, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  25. rada in Florida

Obama supporters should remove their heads out of their behinds and graciously accept Hillary Clinton supporters instead of being hateful and then wonder why there is no unity…. The more I read and hear arround me at work and on the streets the more I feel like a roach in a chicken dance... sorry Obama I do not feel I belong with yours but I wish you good luck.

August 26, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |