August 26th, 2008

Clinton's pledged delegates speak out

Sen. Hillary Clinton is expected to speak on party unity during day two of the convention.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) - Even before Sen. Hillary Clinton takes to the floor of the Democratic National Convention in Denver, Colorado, on Tuesday night, several of her die-hard supporters - and delegates - are looking for the New York senator to preach party unity.

"The thing that I want to hear first is that she is satisfied on behalf of us and those who sent us that the platform reflects her policy priorities. ... If that has been improved since she campaigned, then that would be a good message," said John Settich, a pledged Clinton delegate from Kansas.

Another pledged Clinton delegate, James Pat Smith, said she needs to "remind people of why Barack Obama is much better than John McCain for anyone who supported her."

"She's going to have to help people remember what the elections about. It wasn't about Hillary; it was about policies," he added.

Allyson Story, an alternate Clinton delegate from Iowa, said she wants Clinton to say, "thanks a lot, and we need to move on to become a united party."

Full Story

1. Paris

Hillary should do what is right for this country and not the Democratic Party.
    A leader would choose what is best not what makes him or her more popular.

August 26, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  2. Ms. RDS

@Clinton Supporter For Life.....perfect example of what is wrong with this country now. I'm going to go out on a limb and say your one of those low income, low education supporters of Hillary Clinton...pathetic. I'm glad you don't represent the majority of her supporters of American in general.

August 26, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  3. steve dumford, Scotts valley ca.

Remember when Obama said in one of the debates that Hillary was "likaeble enough?" Remember when he brushed her off his shoulder like a peice of lint after he did so badly in the ABC debate? Did you get how he released his VP announcement at 3AM in the morning, giving the lame excuse that he had to at exactly that time because CNN had already come out with it? And NOW it's Hillarys responsibility to dig him out of the hole he's dug for himself. Alot of voters supported Hilllary because she's a moderate. Now alot of them are voting for Mccain because he's considered to be more moderate. Why does that make them traitors? As my Dad used to tell me when i was growing up and had gotten myself in trouble, "You made your bed, now you lay in it."

August 26, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  4. Clinton sets women back 80 yrs.

People think Clinton has done so much for women. Not true, after the way she acted through the primaries she has set women back 80 yrs. Her actions are the reason why she is not the VP candidate. She made it impossible for Obama to choose her. It was if he was running against a Republican. She only thought of herself and not the party. Next, after she knew it was over she loaned her campaign millions of dollars to keep going even after people told her it was impossible to win. Now her and her supporters are pissed Obama is not helping enough to help pay the debt off. If she cant run a campaign and keep it in the black, think how she would of ran the country. Then, after it was obviously over she still wouldnt go away, she still made it hard on Obama. again thinking of herself and not the party. Men and especially men in power will be saying dont hire that woman she'll whine and just care about herself and not the company or the good of the whole. She has crushed any advances women have made in the past 80 years. Any true democrat that is a Clinton supporter that does not vote for Obama is uneducated about the issues and just supported Clinton because of her name or her gender. McCain's views are the total opposite of Clinton's and Obama's views are 80 to 90% the same as Clinton's. Quit crying and acting like you are a little kid, this is not a popularity contest this is the future of our country!

August 26, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  5. Grey Mare Riding

Forget about what Hillary did-did not do or say, tonight she had better get her act together or she will not get the support she will need in 2008 or 2012. Barack is going to be the nominee and if all of you "Hillary woman" want a Justice on the Supreme Court who will support woman's issues, you had better get on the bandwagon this year. There are Justices on the Supreme Court who are old and waiting to retire. If John McCain gets into office kiss Rove v Wade good-bye. Wake up!

August 26, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  6. ANSEL

Why are you interviewing Charles Barclay about his politacal plans instead of listening to the speakers at the convention. I thought CNN was supposed to be covering the convention. Instead all I can head is nothing but talk and speculation about how the convention should be conducted and the issues that all the commentators think should be discussed. This seems to be more about CNN personalities and their views than about the convention. I am now bored with CNN's coverage and have muted my TV and will wait until I see Hillary Clinton come on. You guys are not doing a good job.
    Ansel.

August 26, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  7. ANSEL

Please show us more of the convention and less of your commentators.

August 26, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  8. Geoffrey Sperl

@Mary:

I hope you don't value the right to choose.

Keep in mind that John Paul Stevens is 88. In four years he will be 92.

Ruth Bader Ginsberg is 75. In four years she will be 79.

Do you really want to see McCain nominate a justice, much less two or three of them (Ruth Bader Ginsberg is 75 and Anthony Kennedy is 72), to the Supreme Court?

Think long and hard about that before you claim that Obama isn't ready for prime time. Think long and hard.

August 26, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  9. Patricia Young

I was am still a Hillary supporter. I am sick of the media saying she needs to unite the party. That is Obama's job if he can do it!
    Every democrat should know Obama is Not for change from the "typical" Washington politics or he would not have picked an old, white, male V.P. nominee. I am 53 years old and I pray I live to see a woman elected President of the United States. God knows the men have had their time and look where we are!!!!!!!!!!!

August 26, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  10. marion

c-span lets you hear all the speeches with out a lot of analizing from the press.
    give us a break We tune in for the convention not the press

goodbye can`t take it anymore.

we want to hear them all not just the so called important folk.

August 26, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  11. cas

I vote for my country first and make a choice for the candidate that I feel best fits the job description and can meet that job with the experience from life! The person that would take care of my country the best she could is being treated like the muck of the earth! So... I find that I cannot be loyal to a party that treats people like that, so, I will be finding someone else to vote for besides the Oh-blah-blah-blah, empty suit! I want substance, not another speech! All I have heard are speeches and whining about everything (don't attack my wife; get rid of that ad that ties me to Ayers – even though it is documented fact, blah-blah-blah!).

August 26, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |