August 26th, 2008

Clinton's pledged delegates speak out

Sen. Hillary Clinton is expected to speak on party unity during day two of the convention.

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) - Even before Sen. Hillary Clinton takes to the floor of the Democratic National Convention in Denver, Colorado, on Tuesday night, several of her die-hard supporters - and delegates - are looking for the New York senator to preach party unity.

"The thing that I want to hear first is that she is satisfied on behalf of us and those who sent us that the platform reflects her policy priorities. ... If that has been improved since she campaigned, then that would be a good message," said John Settich, a pledged Clinton delegate from Kansas.

Another pledged Clinton delegate, James Pat Smith, said she needs to "remind people of why Barack Obama is much better than John McCain for anyone who supported her."

"She's going to have to help people remember what the elections about. It wasn't about Hillary; it was about policies," he added.

Allyson Story, an alternate Clinton delegate from Iowa, said she wants Clinton to say, "thanks a lot, and we need to move on to become a united party."

Full Story

1. Arkansas Undertaker

Its about time I finally hear something positive coming out of this CLinton Klan!!!!!!

August 26, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  2. voting-not voting?

why Clintons have to support Obama? It is not right. Ithink thay should start new, better pary for all of us.

August 26, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  3. Clinton Supporter

Unlike Obama, Hillary Clinton does not attempt to engage in mind control. Therefore, she will not be able to force every Hillary supporter to blindly, unquestioningly vote for Obama.

Obama forces continue to threaten her – you are bad; we will ostracize you from the party; we won't help you 2012. It's your fault that McCain is running those ads because you attacked Barack while running against him. etc etc etc.

Of course she attacked him. She was running against him! Biden, who also voted for the war in Iraq, said the exact same things.

It is not up to Hillary Clinton to single handedly bring in every former Clinton supporter. This one will not vote Democrat because the DNC is now a bunch of thugs in 3-piece suits. It's way beyond Hillary now. I'm not going to vote for Barack because she tells me to, any more than I voted for Clinton because she wanted me to. I vote for or against policies, not people. So do most intelligent voters. This isn't a rock star event – it's an election!

August 26, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  4. fdsvhnjjk

McCain for President!!! Bring back the great depression

August 26, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  5. David B.

To the Clinton supporters,

PLEASE support your Democracy party no matter what. I am a Republic, but I am so sick of Bush and I will not vote for McCain.

So, don't vote for McCain just to get even with Obama. There is no way in the world that Obama dressed up in bandit and walked in the dark to steal the votes from Clinton. I was all for Clinton, but Obama won the nomination and Clinton clearly announced that she accepted the result. She even expressed that she is backing up Obama.

As long as Republic is out of White House, we can work on new changes around for our future and for our children.

For the Clinton supporters, I understand that you feel angry, but voting for McCain to remove Obama – HOW can it help???

If McCain won the tickets, then will he stop the war? It's more likely for him to summon more soliders to grave.

If you research, you will find that the troopers send more money to Obama than McCain...

Please reconsider... Thank you.

August 26, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  6. Peter of Oregon

My friends... There are a few things I'd like to postulate this fine Thursday evening.

Let me give you some REAL straight talk...

1st. An untold amount of $18 Million former Hillary Clinton voters during the primary, who voted after John McCain clinched the nomination were and are die-hard Republicans and are now returning to their base.

2nd. John McCain's policies haven't been extensively examined by the media, and many former Hillary Clinton voters aren't aware of how destructive McCain's policies are to what Hillary Clinton stood for and fought for.

3rd. If CNN took a poll of the race and socio-economic background of these die-hard supporters who will vote for John McCain rather than Barack Obama, you will find some commonalities among them. This demographic for the most part would never vote for Barack Obama or another black man or woman to be President of the United States.

August 26, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  7. Souza

Why is it up to the Clinton's to do Obama's job.
    He needs to convince the die hard Hillary supporters to stand behind him.
    Why is it the Clinton's problem that we still stand behind her. Hello we can make up our own minds. Unlike what the media says I am a educated supporter that makes over 90,000 a year.
    Obama says the same things over and over and I am sick of hearing the same rhetoric.
    Let's hear the details of how is is going to accomplish change besides changing his mind. Like FISA, Oil Drilling and the list goes on.
    Obama is not the experienced one to lead this nation to change.

August 26, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  8. Ratgurl

Clinton Supporter, you have obviously missed the point of the Clinton-Obama unity schematic. The point is to recover our badly damaged country from the grasp of the Republicans who continue to flush what's left of us down the toilet. Hillary still has an opportunity to effect change for us, but in order foe her to do it, we will need a Democrat as POTUS. Don't you get it?

August 26, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  9. Barney

McCain will lead us back to the 60s and the nam era. That's all we hear from him. war war war war war war – it doesn't matter what country or why

Obama/Biden '08

August 26, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  10. the Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

Hillary was the best candidate. Obama stole the nomination with Harry and Howard's support.

Great Job Dennis, now go back to the nut house

We have two overripe bananas for the head job in the USA. That is a shame [ Nobama and no joe.]

Obama is risky
    Obama is inexperienced
    Obama has a funny name
    Obama will take our guns away
    Joe cries, not becoming of a tough VP, Putin will eat him alive and Obama too for dessert.
    Obama is a novice at Foreign Affairs.

So do you want to gamble with our country?

do you want to roll the dice?

I don't think you do, therefore a good alternative is JOHN MCCAIN.

August 26, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  11. Peter (CA)

What do you want the man to do? He has laid out his plan for this country but it is never enough. Will you watch Biden on Wednesday night and Obama on Thursday and judge for yourselves?

What exactly has McCain done to get you to vote for him? He said he supports 95% of Bush's policies. I doubt Hillary does.

Do you think he really cares what you want? If elected, he will replace one of the liberal Supreme Court justices, maybe 2. If he picks someone like Scalia, Alito, or Thomas, then watch your rights go down the tubes. This isn't a maybe...this is real.

August 26, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  12. tedious898

PUMA's ...Shut your frigin mouths and listen to your candidate!

You keep asking why should Hillary help bring you guys around?...well its like this....If a person goes potty in the middle of the living room, its only good manners to clean it up. Don't you think so? Hillary knew she had no chance to when the nomination. Did she listen ?....NOOOOOOO......She kept saying "I will be president and I'm going to let everybody have their say" At the end of the day...she's broke and we have you idiots to deal with. So ...Yes, she made the mess, she needs to clean it up

August 26, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  13. gregg45

500,000 more votes... she got,,, wow,,, party on

August 26, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  14. christine dickerson

First of all, I'm upset with CNN who talked through Maria Cantwell's speech. Was it because she is a Hillary delegate? Second, of course Hillary and Michelle get along. They are both smart, strong women. Because of Hillary, Michelle won't get slammed as hard for being herself. And Hillary and her supporters deserve a REAL roll-call vote, not just a symbolic one. She IS nominated for President. She DID get 18 million (the most) votes. So, if there are TWO official roll calls, fine. Who cares? I do. I will vote for Obama, but Hillary Clinton deserves official recognition, not just a polite tip of the hat. Anything else is arrogant and dismissive of the system.

August 26, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  15. tedious898

You fools don't get it !

Hillary soiled herself in the primary. Against good advice she keep running her campaign. Went broke. Couldn't pay her vendors. You name it. But she refused to face reality. Now that reality has finally struck her, she has to help clean up the stench she left – NAMELY YOU PEOPLE ! PUMA's need to have their diapers changed and given pacifers so we can move this country forward.

That's why Hillary has to help Obama or her career is O V A H !

August 26, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  16. chris

oh great, i used my own name earlier. can you fix that? oh well, maybe we should all be so honest. And to those who would vote for McCain over Obama? Are you nuts? Think war, trees, water, medicine, oil, trade, jobs, well, just about any subject. McCain will take us all the way under. Obama can raise us up again; maybe there is still a chance for the world to like and respect us again.

August 26, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  17. Lacy

Clinton Supporter
    "Unlike Obama, Hillary Clinton does not attempt to engage in mind control."

That is one of the most ridiculous and baseless accusations I have ever heard. How exactly do you believe Obama is doing to "engage in mind control"

You are ridiculous and not voting for policies as you claim, because Obama's policies are nearly identical to Clintons.

August 26, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  18. One of THEM

I'm a Hillary supporter. It's bugging me that the press is repeating the theme that SHE has to unite the Democratic Party. Why isn't that Obama's job? Why is she expected to convince me to vote for him? Why doesn't he do a better job of telling me why I should support him?

I was a Dean supporter, and ended up working hard for Kerry. He wasn't my first choice, but I didn't have any trouble getting behind him. I thought he was a legitimate choice, qualified for the job, and that he was a far cry better than the Republican nominee. I don't feel the same way about Obama. Why is that? It's certainly not Hillary's fault.

August 26, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  19. KG

Dems = a liberal, socialist, divided party with absolutely no direction and a naive, inexperienced Presidential candidate. It's no wonder people are jumping ship.

August 26, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  20. timber (ex dem)

I am for Hillary PERIOD. I will never vote for Obama after what the DNC did to her. It is McCain all the way for me now.

August 26, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  21. A Woman In California For Obama

I am to the point where even though I strongly support Obama, I want the delegates to each state who they want. If Clinton wins so-be-it. I want her supporters to feel it is finally OVER and she was NOT cheated out of anything. Then, Obama can begin to do what he needs to.

Obama/Biden '08

August 26, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  22. cari

All this talk of Hillary's supporters is just gotten sick. They are sore losers and are ruining this moment for the rest of us. Let them do what they want. Those who will not vote for Obama – will not vote for Obama regardless. So its time to let them drown in their own misery. After this fiasco It will be a cold day in hell when another women will ever come this close again to the presidency. Thank you – you bunch of sore losers.

August 26, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  23. Clinton Supporter For Life

Obamanots,

It's called the WHITE House for a reason! I will NEVER vote to put a black man in OUR WHITE House, democrat or not.

Go Hillary 2012 & 2016.

August 26, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  24. Kim

Give it up. Please give it up!

I was a big Hillary Clinton supporter until the debate on the Florida and Michigan delegations. She lost by the rules she agreed to – she has really lost me and the sad thing is we will all lose in November.

For once in so many years we have real hope for change. Please give up the quest to squander this opportunity of hope.

Give it up.

August 26, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  25. BROOKLYN

She is a great woman and has my respect but Obama does not get our vote... He did not listen to the people, he has proven that he will not do just that...

Wrong Choice B.H.