August 26th, 2008

Crowley: Women grab the spotlight tonight

Senator Hillary Clinton posed with Barbara Mikulski earlier Tuesday.
Senator Hillary Clinton posed with Barbara Mikulski earlier Tuesday.

DENVER (CNN) - The 19th amendment to the Constitution — which guaranteed women the right to vote - was passed 88 years ago today. And today, women senators are getting their day in the sun. The proceedings tonight really kicked off with Barbara Mikulski — the first Democratic woman elected to the Senate in her own right, and not as result of her husband's death.

1. Maty

I am registered as a Democrat and unfortunately for the first time ever, I am forced not to exercise my voting rigths.
    I will not give my vote to Obama, NO WAY! and I don't like McCain either. My husband and my entire family are not voting either.

August 26, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  2. In case you didnt know

i ask you if you are a true Obama supporter or a true Clinton supporter please do not engage in the back and forth on this site…the Repubs have blogger's they pay to cause distention with in the Democratic party…so those Hill people being attacked, it is by a paid repub and fro those Obama supporters the same thing…the repubs are about keeping the status quot, they have the money and resources to try to divide us…dont let them, remember united we stand

August 26, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  3. Jennifer S

As we mark the 88th anniversary of the date when the 19th Amendment was ratified, giving women the right to vote in this country, it might be instructive to consider this quote by suffragist Elizabeth Cady Stanton:

"The moment we begin to fear the opinions of others and hesitate to tell the truth that is in us, and from motives of policy are silent when we should speak, the divine floods of light and life no longer flow into our souls."

I am eagerly awaiting Hillary Rodham Clinton's speech tonight because I am certain she will do what she has always done; she will represent my voice and that of millions of others who voted for her and support her. She speaks our truths. And when she speaks, the women and men who support her and find their voices represented in her voice celebrate the divine floods of light and life that flow from her soul!

August 26, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  4. tedious898

Gee CNN....I'd say your covering yourselves. We'd like to see the convention. Time to switch the channel. C-Span ..here we come

August 26, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  5. linda from South Dakota

re:what,, i agree thanks to all the hillary supporters,,,,, you have served your party well, but we welcome you to the dem party,,,, obama/biden will not let us done,, we have had enuff og the bush years and CHANGE IS COMIN AND ITS A GOOD CHANGE 0bama/biden08 and beyond

August 26, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  6. William, from Cali!

"Smart women" will vote for Obama, and change; the other one's will stay "bitter".........

August 26, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  7. Jean

C-SPAN!!!!!!!!!

CSPAN
    CSPAN

August 26, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  8. J.C.

No matter how hard Hillary tried, her smile looked like a great effort.
    She is crying inside, but she only has herself to blame.
    We are very tired of divisiveness.
    The problem: the Clintons only know how to divide for more power.

August 26, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  9. Brian

With all the positive introductions, I was concerned that the Dems had picked the wrong candidate until Hillary showed up dressed as a pumpkin.

August 26, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  10. Mary Clintonista

Sob! Hillary proves again that she is the best choice for President. What a great speech. What a great candidate. What a shame that the DNC blew it and handed the nomination to that unqualified, arrogant fellow (no not GWBush) Barry Obama. I love Hillary and inspite of her wonderful speech, I will vote for McCain. Barry just ain't qualified and even the DNC can't fix that.

August 26, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  11. Ron Gamble

Tuesday evening. The lady who went before the supreme court (equal pay for equal work) spoke of a Bill that the Senate shot down..... Did McCain shot the Bill down????? Thanks, Ron

August 26, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |