August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Charles Barkley sinks a three-pointer

Barkley spoke with CNN Tuesday.
Barkley spoke with CNN Tuesday.

That conversation on CNN with the basketball star Charles Barkley was one of the single best testimonials to Barack Obama that I have seen here at the convention. He showed that one can be low key and be even more effective sometimes than if you are bombastic. I Would welcome your views.

In the meantime, it has been revealing (again) to read the many comments that voters are registering on the CNN Web site. Some of them have been pretty sharp. Please know that we try to read them hear - even
when they hurt!

1. arjun jayaraj

GOP is better and it all comes down to the Clinton's

August 26, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  2. Lisabeth

David, do you really want to hear our constructive criticisms? Just COVER THE CONVENTION! I, for one am tired of all the negative commentary and criticism of what the Dems should or should not do. I can't stand it. There is a time and a place for this and this is NOT IT. Many people I know have switched to PBS because of it! Some of us LIKE what is happening at the convention and frankly I do not care what the Republicans or their surrogates/pundits think. This is OUR TIME and anyone is welcome to join but have some respect...

August 26, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  3. Tim, Seattle

David,
    I wouldnt know. Didnt see it because I had to go to PBS to see the actual speakers since all you guys do is talk to yourselves.
    CNN, you could have just done this from your studio.
    How about less speculation and let us have observation?

August 26, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  4. Watching

Listening to Barkley was better than yet more chanting like they're doing now. They're real good at chanting... LOL...

August 26, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  5. Dylan

Good call-just watched Barkley and found him to be thoughtful and sincere. I thought it was particularly refreshing to hear him address the race issue in a blunt but very civil manner.

August 26, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  6. chris

I like his old comment when he said that poor people have been voting for democrates for fifty years and there still poor lol.

August 26, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  7. Marie

CNN compared to the coverage given by C-Span, is a circus side show. You guys may have been once considered professionals. Now just political clowns. I quess CNN has decided to compete with FOXNEWS on their level. Well, your getting there. Enough of Wolf Blitzer already. His coverage helped drumbeat us to war, I'll be darn if he will drum beat in the Republican party. in our house he is known as 'The Weasel Wolf'.

August 26, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  8. Terri in Fl

David, I really appreciate your style, but unfortunatley many of your colleagues have become so opinionated, it's almost offensive listening to them. Rather than giving us the facts and letting us make up our own minds, we get bombarded with opinions, one after the other. In addition, this constant focus on stuff that really belongs in the National Equire has really caused me to change channels and look for a news channel that is a bit more balanced.

August 26, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  9. change is coming

that might be true about reading the ocmments when it applies to blacks and latinos but not when we talk about clinton and cnn loyalty to them

also your awful misleading titles

time for change CNN do some real reporting

August 26, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  10. Alex

Thanks for inviting comments Gergen...I'll insert mine here in honor of you.

I agree with several of the comments about CNN's broadcast coverage of this convention. It has been at times pathetic. The anchors and the analysts spent the last 24 hours whining that the dems haven't brought the "red meat". Well, when Kucinich and Rendell get up there and bring enough red meat to choke a football team, what does the production team do? They don't air Kucinich and they cut off Rendell. CNN, stop framing the convention to match your predetermined storyline for it. I recommend watching the stream online instead of the cable broadcast.

As it pertains to the cable broadcast, get rid of the conservative commentators unless they can actually give some authentic comments, not regurgitated McCain garbage one-liners. Kudos to Ed Rollins, David Gergen, Donna Brazille, and Roland Martin. Attention Toobin, Carville, Sanchez...take a break for a while, along with the anchors and reporters.

CNN...don't turn into Fox. Give us the facts (and speeches) and let the people decide.

August 26, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  11. Deano

Yep...the democrats are in real trouble when the best endorsement from the entire convention so far comes from Charles Barkley. Game over. John McCain is your new president.

August 26, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  12. Jake

Didn't hear it, but the 3 times I've heard Barkley speak have been 3 of the most incoherent babbling sessions I have ever seen. So I doubt it.

Glad we have CNN reporting on all the big stories.

August 26, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  13. anonymous

It is digusting to hear people making the statement that it is time for a black man to be president. Well, this is not an issue about race this is about a leader that will be capable to run or country. Besides the point Barack Hussein Obama is half white as well so he is not a black man or a white man he is bi-racial. He is still a human being so stop all the racial talk and grow up.

August 26, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  14. Ken Fiduk

This isn't relevant to the specific subject. But, could you please tell me which of the topics in politic ticker IS relevant to the heading on the main page headline – "GOP better at attack politics"? I cannot find it. Thanks.

August 26, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  15. Ryan

He called Clinton supporters who are now switching to McCain "idiots" and seemed to suggest that their reason for doing so was because Barack Obama is black. Charles doesn't seem to understand that not all people are comfortable voting for someone who hasn't even been in the Senate for four years and hasn't authored any legislation of note. I find it very surprising and distressing that you would see Barkley's comments as "one of the single best testimonials to Barack Obama I have seen here at the convention."

August 26, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  16. VOICE OF REASON

MILLIONARE CELEBRITIES TOUTING THE PROS OF OTHER MILLIONARE CELEBS. WHAT COULD BE MORE AMERICAN THAN RICH FOLK HELPING OTHER RICH ELITES BECOME EVEN RICHER AND MORE INFLUENTIAL. I SPENT 118.00 ON GAS ALONE LAST WEEK. NEAR THREE HUNDRED ON GROCERIES. WHAT INPUT DO THESE ESTABLISHMENT INFOMERCIALS HAVE ON MY PLIGHT. SEEMS EVERY OTHER PERSON I TALK TO IN REAL AMERICA HAD SIMILAR FINANCIAL AND MORAL CONCERNS. UNLESS THESE ELITISTS WANT TO HELP AVG AMERICA WHAT DOES THEIR INPUT AMOUNT TO. ITS REALLY IMMANURE. WE DO WITHOUT AND THEY PERTY ON OUR DIME. BOY THATS AMERICAN AS A STICK IN THE EYE UNLESS YOU ARE IN POLITICS.

August 26, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  17. Matt

ACtually it was pretty bland... Not very inspiring.

August 26, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  18. bravo

journalism...what an admirable profession...would it hurt if i reminded you of the difference between 'hear' and 'here'

August 26, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  19. sam adler

The democrats are running a country circus, needs to be more dignified!

I am amazed that in the whole US there is not white talents to lead this great nation!!!

Watching the Convension, it confirms my views that US is still an adolescent amongst the nations!

August 26, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  20. john williams san diego, ca.

Gergen–i watched that interview and the main point of charles 3-pointer was that obama was the first black candidate to be nominated for President and that all that matters...your bias precedes you.

August 26, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  21. Kathy

When I saw Charles Barkley was about to be interviewed, I knew it would be funny but was not expecting his eloquent and insightful comments. I wish our party leaders were as effective in making the case for Obama.

August 26, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  22. REPUBLICAN FOR OBAMA

I didn't see him. We were on C-Span. We can't take Wolf, David, Campbell, Anderson and John.

James Caville needs to get up and speak.

CNN is horrible.

Looking forward to see Hillary on C-Span.

August 26, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  23. Clark Williams

This guy speaks from the heart. That's why I watch him on TNT. He truly does not throw BS. I agree with David Gergin about his interview. It was terrific!

The Obama campaign should pick this guy up and let him talk. He is great!

Go Sir Charles!

August 26, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  24. Sandy

All you analysts can discuss is clinton clinton clinton – WHAT DOES SHE WANT?

WE are sick of it. WE want unbiased and honest like Charles Barkley.

You all need to shut up and let US ANALYZE for ourselves.

August 26, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  25. Peachy Keen

Ha, this most likely won't get posted, but I would suggest you folks watch the convention on MSNBC. They actually let you hear the speechs without talking over them.

And David, you are one of the best. You and the late Tim Russert . You seem very unbiased and reasonable, as opposed to John King and Wolf.

August 26, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |