August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Charles Barkley sinks a three-pointer

Barkley spoke with CNN Tuesday.
Barkley spoke with CNN Tuesday.

That conversation on CNN with the basketball star Charles Barkley was one of the single best testimonials to Barack Obama that I have seen here at the convention. He showed that one can be low key and be even more effective sometimes than if you are bombastic. I Would welcome your views.

In the meantime, it has been revealing (again) to read the many comments that voters are registering on the CNN Web site. Some of them have been pretty sharp. Please know that we try to read them hear - even
when they hurt!

1. Gordo

Clearly barkley is an idiot. If he had a shread of intelligence he would realize democrats hold blacks back. However, Charles has no clue on how to earn a living. Maybe he should try doing some actual work for a living, and then look at all of the good those he chooses to elect take from a working persons paycheck. Oh, I forgot it is for the greater good, so the Baracks in D.C. can spend it on useless crap.
    Get a life Charles

August 26, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  2. Nahum

where is my comment? duds?

August 26, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  3. j b

Oh wonderful, Some one check and see how many times this guy has voted before This election, and we are so lucky to be blessed with his informed opinion, it's worth as much as his free throws , he cant make them either! stick to your day Job.

August 26, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  4. Axl

Sorry to tell you guys but most of us are now putting you on mute when you start talking. I'm only watching when people are speaking from the floor. It's more than obvious that you're trying to make people think in a certain way and you're hungry for drama and negativity.

August 26, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  5. Bored in NY

Really CNN, an uninterrupted speech without Wolf Blitzer's, "analysis" from time to time, would do wonders for your ratings.

August 26, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  6. Sandy

Watch on PBS or CSPAN – we get comments there, NOT BIASED talking air-heads

August 26, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  7. REPUBLICAN FOR OBAMA

Oh' I forgot about Leslie Sanchez. Now she is a fashion expert – complaining about have Michelle was dressed. Leslie needs to look in the mirror.

I mute the TV when she comes on. She has nothing to say that I want to hear.

August 26, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  8. Nahum

try 1 2 3 can you read me?

Is this the only comment I ca give?

August 26, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  9. White, female supporter of Obama

So while you were busy telling the Democrates what they should do, PBS was broadcsting a women's story that spoke of the discrimination by the Supreme Court on her case for equal pay for equal work making the argument of how necessary it is to have Obama as president to be able to appoint judges. As compelling a testament to voting Democrat as any red meat politician or pompous talking head. A real story that people could relate to!! Again it was PBS who lived up to the purpose of a free media.

How said the whole nation was unable to hear this women's powerful story as they once again heard the same old same old from the CNN cast of characters!!

What a joke and disservice you are all doing and how rude to be talking and interviewing people in the audience when these brave men and women are up their telling their stories that viewers can relate to.

August 26, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  10. Chuck

Barkley is just grabbing face time in order to make himself appear "knowledgable" in the political arena so he can throw his hat int he ring for the Alabama governorship.

His (like many black voters) belief that the reason Hillary backers won't vote for Obama is racism, is pure ignorance.

I am a Hillary supporter and will vote for McCain in November. Why? Because I sincerely feel the primary process was derailed by racism, sexism, and voter fraud. I do not feel that Barack Obama can truly lead this country with is foreign policy views and his belief that those that work hard should be forced to pay the way for those that have not earned the right to support.

Mr. Barkley himself stated "the two parties are corrupt," so, why is he at the convention? Again.... it's just face time in the bank.

August 26, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  11. Scott Campbell

You mean, "read them HERE"? Don't just use spellcheck – make sure you are using the proper word!

Anyway.. I agree with a few of the points above – media coverage here in the US has become so biased, I have been watching Britain's BBC or Canada's CBC for election coverage. It's more balanced than anything I can find on our own networks.

August 26, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  12. William, from Cali!

I have no more comments! I see a lot of viewers are "on to you folks", now............for me, "I'm out to lunch" ........on CNN..........

August 26, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  13. EqualBranchesofGovernment

Lisabeth...I too put it on C-SPAN..........Now you know why we are in the Iraq War.........because the media fell lock-step behind FoxNews in the administrations runnup to the war for fear of being called unpatriotic......

Mr. Gergen.... it's spelled "here". Thank you for your service to our country David.

August 26, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  14. no joke, boston

do any of your cnn clowns remember that politicians are suposed to SERVE THE PEOPLE, and that the media is supposed to make sure the people are informed so that democracy has any meaning?

why are you clowns so obbsessed with whether this tactic and that move will help or hurt this or that candidate? you all fancy yourselves as advisors to big shots??? we the people COULDN'T CARE LESS! you clowns are pathetic.

August 26, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  15. Crunch Hardtack

David, apparently what CNN fails to realize is that your viewers are smarter than you give them credit for. When you start straying away from simply presenting the facts, and begin to constantly editorialize, we begin to question your motives, as well as the veracity of your content. And some of your colleagues are beginning to wear their biases on their sleeves, and that's disheartening.

Your audience, (at least this one) are true newshounds. If we wanted to be bombarded with bloviated opinions, we'd be watching Fox News. You're slowly losing me as a faithful viewer.

August 26, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  16. Wrob in GA

David, Please listen to us viewers. Why so much negativity? I've always thought CNN was not nearly as bad as Fox News, but you guys could be clones now – purposely drumming up negative things even if you have to work very hard to find or create it. And please don't wait until the Republican convention to get it right. That would be beyond insulting.

August 26, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  17. Anti-Negativity

David, I have been a faithful CNN reader and viewer throughout this election, but I agree with everyone else who wants all of the negative and nonstop commentary to stop. It is especially frustrating to see Leslie Sanchez and any other Republican on the TV screen. They get their time in the spotlight next week!

Obama supporters want to actually see the SPEECHES and focus on his message of CHANGE and UNITY - not negative, fear-seeking, whining Republicans, PUMA's and political analysts. Let voters make up their own minds about the speeches and the convention - stop cutting off the speeches and telling Americans what to think.

I'll keep reading, but I've switched to CSPAN for this convention.

August 26, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  18. gibba

Any chance of getting video here on the .com of that conversation? I, too, stopped watching CNN when I realized you weren't really even showing the convention, but just talking about it. However, I am interested in these interviews, as well as some of the post-"important"-speech ones that have been conducted, however I find it a bit more important and relevant to actually watch the convention.

August 26, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  19. Harut

Celebs are also getting involved in politics! Maybe this is the year where the most celebs are getting involved in politics.

August 26, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  20. alex hogan

Yeah, Ive been really let down by the coverage. Earlier, I heard you (David) complain about the Democrats not planning the Convention well because you didn't have anything to do for a couple of hours. Um, look behind you guys...there was Kathleen Sebulius, A young man who was going to lose his job in two weeks and a survivor of the Iowa floods...all making pleas for the people to realize that "We need a Change". Just turn around every now and then and listen to the Convention instead of being obsessed with covering it.

August 26, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  21. Charlottesville, VA

Oh you read our comments do you? Well read this – it's spelled HERE, not HEAR in the context you used it. If you can't help educate the voters, at least educate yourselves.

August 26, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  22. Shannon Hennessy

Does no one like James Carville enough to tell him to wipe his mouth? Where is the producer? Does the camera man not see his spittle dripping from the corners of his mouth?
    Someone please give him a handkerchief!!! Or else put him on the radio for God's sake.
    Please!! Much of what he has to say is valuable but I have to keep shutting him off–he's gross.
    Ok now I feel better.
    BTW he's right about Hillary and Bill and the lack of a message at this convention.

August 26, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  23. Mick

Terri - There is no news channel that is balanced anymore - they are all bombastic, flashy, sports-presentations with loud, opinionated sports-presenters, who like to show off their "impressive" political knowledge and witty quips about everything and everyone relevant or irrelevant, just to fill time.

Years ago, I liked CNN, and when MSNBC began, I thought they were solid for about a year. Everytime I even steptoe onto Fox, I am personally offended at their garish far-right bias, and now going back to CNN, I find I am very quickly "turned off" by their constant drum-beating about "the best political team on television," and their consistently more opinionated reporting and joking around.

When did news become "add your own opinion"? I've stopped being interested in American Network News of any kind, and more often move over to BBC, who actually talk about things that are going on in the rest of the world, with an intelligent perspective on us, rather than the hollow, systematically stupifying commentary I am hearing on ALL American news networks, including the "big three" commercial networks.

August 26, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  24. Gordon

Barkley has no shot at Governor of Alabama but he could win mayor of Birmingham. Idiots have been winning there for a while.

August 26, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  25. tony

David,

How can you say that with conviction? It was a subjective statement, just as all of the other rhetoric being sprayed at the covention. What is the definition of rich? Is it even defined by money? We have had 2 southern democrats in office for 12 years out of the last 32 and the southern states still lag. Come on. Get real.

August 26, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |