August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Charles Barkley sinks a three-pointer

Barkley spoke with CNN Tuesday.
Barkley spoke with CNN Tuesday.

That conversation on CNN with the basketball star Charles Barkley was one of the single best testimonials to Barack Obama that I have seen here at the convention. He showed that one can be low key and be even more effective sometimes than if you are bombastic. I Would welcome your views.

In the meantime, it has been revealing (again) to read the many comments that voters are registering on the CNN Web site. Some of them have been pretty sharp. Please know that we try to read them hear - even
when they hurt!

1. Eric

I didn't get to watch your your show because I was too busy trying to find a broadcaster that would actually carry the convention and not give us spin and their version of what the party needs to do.

I'm sure when it comes around to the RNC, you'll do a much better job and actually broadcast their material.

August 26, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  2. frank Honolulu HI

CNN. When are you going to become the unbiased source for news?
    You have headlines that are not true and you seem to like to drive wedges between the candidates.
    Do I have to tell you the truth is more interesting than anything you folks could dream up.
    Why not produce a good service to humanity as your commitment. Why fall for the Enquirer type journalism?

August 26, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  3. Ted

Not sure what Barkley said...do you have a link to it? Bad analogy though, Barkley was a low post player–perimiter shots were not his forte. He often said that their wasn't a player that could defend him one on one when he posted them up. I'm sure sir Charles would appreciate an analogy more suited to his playing style.

To the point though, why is that it's late August and Obama can't even appeal to democrats? Why is it that nobody but the 43% who chant his name seem to know what he's about? Why does a man running for the president of the United States have to be 'explained?' The problem with Obama, rather ironically, is communication. Beyond his diehards, he can't sell himself or what he stands for. When I talk to his supporters there isn't much they have toelaborate on beyond their enthusiasm. Any specific platform questions and I'm told to look at his website. Well, I have but, I need a candidate who can convey a message convincingly and stick to it, not direct me an article written by an intern on a website.

August 26, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  4. Sarah- ARIZONA

I am at least pleased that u are reading our comments.
    I use to love CNN and watch all the commentary and pundits. But seriously, I am so so so disappointed its not even funny.

I have compared last nite and tonights commentary and it has been EXACTLY the same.

None of u tapped into the historic nite that it was or u did for a second and went on to talk abt the negative crap.

I use to LOVE CNN u have no idea.

August 26, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  5. Rod

David,

Charles said exactly what needed to be talked about. This election is about change not only in econimics, but also in racial matters. I have travelled overseas during my lifetime and the United States is the only countries that emphasis race on job applications, loans, education, etc. If you were born in France for example your are "French" not African American or black. Why is that?

Rod

August 26, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  6. anonymous

I did not realize that the candidates and democratic leaders were being staged as to what to say and how to wave at the crowds. This is the most orchestrated mess I have ever heard of. Who in the world ever heard of practice waving. I believe I read on cnn that Hillary and Chelsey were practice waving. What a bunch of phony's. I do not even understand why they are even there after the way Hillary critized Obama during and after the debates. This is really disgusting. How can we expect these people to be open and honest with our country. They talk out of both sides of their mouth and with a forked tongue. Just listen to these people. What is their excuse?

August 26, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  7. Danny

What is up with CNN? Seriously!
    Do you read your headlines before you post? Is there any concept about nutrality on your web site? Seems like all of your so-called big new politically news is based on anything that would make the Democrats or Obama sound like crap. So much for unbiased news...How many email responses , and responses do you need to receive before you realize your bias?

August 26, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  8. Jim

I love how the African American vote is 95% for Obama and the pundits say, "If you are a Clinton Democrat and not for Obama, YOU are a racist."

I'm not a racist; and I have always been a Democrat. And I am a very good speller. Are you?

Can you can spell U-N-E-L-E-C-T-A-B-L-E?

August 26, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  9. Lisa

You should all watch c-span instead of cnn. You dont have to listen to Wolf beat a dead horse and James Carville whine about Hillary.

August 26, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  10. G

Keating 5

August 26, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  11. Jeff U

I, too, missed it. Too bad. I hope Sir Charles becomes a Senator one day. I cannot watch CNN. They have become a joke. Jon Stewart was right. "Journalists" today should, by and large, hang their heads in shame for standing by while their sacred trust has been systematically destroyed by the ratings game.

August 26, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  12. Fred

CNN's coverage compared to the coverage given by C-Span, is a circus side show. I once considered CNN to be reliable and professional. CNN has evolved into a set of political clowns in competition with FOXNEWS i.e., "FOXNOISE". If that's the goal, you have arrived. I am most disappointed with the WOLF. His coverage helped drumbeat us to war, I suspect that he would like to see more of those failed policies.'.

August 26, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  13. 55 yr. old Hispanic female from Dallas, TX

I agree completely with "Terri in Fl". After CNN'S opinionated coverage last night; I am right now watching MSNBC and C-Span. CNN"s so called "best political team" has dropped the ball. Last nights' coverage was rambling on and on about absolutely nothing. While discussing Michelle Obama's speech one of the female "best political team" said she did not like Michelle's dress because it blended in too much with the background and then she actually giggled! Seriously, what a high school catty remark! CNN seems to continue reporting childish petty remarks of no value, substance or real facts! If I wanted to watch political idiots I would watch fox news and those two pompous, overblown ego maniacs, Hannity & Yarbrough! They never give any of their guests a chance to speak UNLESS they kiss up and agree with them! CNN, the way you have handled this campaign coverage has also caused me to switch channels!

August 26, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  14. Bob Miller, Chicago

David,

I've enjoyed your commentary since your days on McNeil/Lehrer. Whenever I think there can't possibly be a Republican left with any sense of decency, I remember there's still Gergen.

Best wishes from Chicago.

August 26, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  15. Monica from Cape Cod

I heard a few seconds of the conversation before I realized it was him. I looked up at the TV screen... wanting to see who was this man who was making so much sense... he sounded a lot like Charles Barkley... and to my surprise, it was! I was particularly amused with his story about one of his family members saying that voting for Republicans only helped the rich... and then he had to break the news to them that... [hey guys, umm... we're rich!] Thanks for showing someone who's actually at the convention to support someone [Obama] as opposed to all those bitter Hillary supporters who care more about making a point, than making progress!

August 26, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  16. Denise

Barkley is SPOT ON!

August 26, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  17. Jack Colson

Barkley is right "the Dem and Rep party are so corrupt"...
    we need to boot them all out that have been saying the same thing for 20-30 years and taking pork home to feed themselves off the backs of good decent Americans – they don't work for anyone but their selfish selves.
    Jack C
    Seattle WA

August 26, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  18. The US abolishes century old clinton dynasty

for a while i thougth gergen could do a little analysis but when he is with the cuccu group of cnn
    including carville (the gusano) and the begala and all of hillary's crew and supporters PUMAS in CNN
    they are just so biased..
    they are the complete circus

August 26, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  19. Josh

Democrats, phony? Nah. How much did Obama make last year? 4.2 million dollars. Just s regular guy, like Ted Kennedy, who has never been within a mile of a public school, like his entire family, and belongs to exclusionary clubs, but if YOU want to send your kids to private school or join an exclusionary country club, well, you are one bad person. I am dumbfounded that people can accept these hypocrites. At least the Republicans say "I like private schools and am happy that I can afford a club that won't let people I don't like in". You know what you're getting, rather than sneaky hypocrisy.

August 26, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  20. Dax Brady

I hope the democrats actually believe that barrack is actually going to be elected president; its going to be all that much sweeter come election day. I suspect though that panic is setting in, now that McCain has taken a 2 point lead in the polls during their pathetic convention; just wait til next week when that lead widens to double digits.

August 26, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  21. Matt B

The media is placing way too much importance on this convention ! The vast majority of Americans will watch ZERO minutes of this convention and the Republican convention. The ONLY purpose these conventions serve is to motivate and unite the parties behind their candidate.

August 26, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  22. E.Frank MD

Rod is right on! Regarding France, where I live half my life, how you express yourself is as important as what you have to say. The angry, bitter, bad-mouthing, ad hominem attacks contain no reason, no facts, no ideas, no meaningful expressions of communicating the basis of your own belief system so that others can listen and not be turned off by hate-tainted rhetoric and can listen to see if you make enough sense they might just change their mind. That CNN is accused of fanning those flames with bombast, palaver and double speak, I think CNN should start compiling and counting and try to out-Fox yourself.

August 26, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  23. Danny in Chicago

watch C-SPAN. There's no commentary.......make your own opinion.

August 26, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  24. dean o

Charles Barkley is an empty suit. Why is CNN even paying attention to him. He's a washed up ball player who cant put two coherent words together. He has ZERO chance of winning any POLitical race in Alabama. He knows nothing. He only got on the floor because he is rich and famous – just like Obama.

August 26, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  25. Dee N STL

The truth has been spoken

August 26, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |