August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. NoMcSame

After the speech I turned the the enemy FOX to hear what they had to say and they did not disappoint me. FOX news is not news it is a kill joy and will have us all as slaves to the rich if they could.
    Now Hillary. I will never call that woman Billary again. She is one tough lady and I am glad that she is on the right side of this race. She brought down the house and the rest of the party has to really step up. If Obama fails I know that Hillary would win in 2012. I hope that we democrats can come together and get Bush/McSame out of office.
    Obama08

August 26, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  2. Hillary Your Are the Woman!!!

HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT!!! SHE HAS THE CHARACTERISTICS THAT ARE THE REQUIREMENT OF A GREAT LEADER!!!!

NO WAY - NO HOW - NO BAMA!!!!

COUNTRY FIRST!!!!!

August 26, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  3. Geoff

I'm a McCain supporter but i really did think Hillary gave a great speech tonight...as much as it pains me to say

August 26, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  4. Jan lL.

No Mr. Gergen The best from this beauty is yet to be!!!

August 26, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  5. McCain #1

Seeing this woman on CNN freak out about Clinton makes it clear that Hillary was the wrong person for President. The ONLY reason many of her supporters were voting for Clinton was because she was a woman. That is so stupid. I wonder how many will be going through PMS on election day. Maybe CNN should poll that number to decide who is going to win. Get a life people, Hillary is a lying , cheating, slug of a person. Has everyone forgotten the '90s?

August 26, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  6. Anna Rose

I think Hillary is going to be Secretary of State. Barack probably didn't choose her as VP because, well, everyone knows that she doesn't do very well just sitting around!!
    She wants to visit countries and "change things for the better" (in her words), so he probably struck a deal with her – thus the speech at Unity, NH took place.

I don't know, I just have a feeling that there is a reason why the Obama party and the Hillary party are seemingly so friendly, and since she got like 40% of the Democratic delegates, Obama would want her experience to represent some part of his presidency.

GO OBAMA!! Of course he'll get elected! GO DEMS!!

August 26, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  7. Khezrian

She should give democrats real "Buyer's Remorse" by now. Choosing Obama was a historic mistake by Democrats! she had crafted her powerful speech so (dishonestly) Honest in support of Obama and fighting back republicans, that everyone must be persuaded by now that only she could have attacked GOP and Mccain machine, the effective and powerful way only a veteran Clinton can. Obama must be thanking lord tonight that he is after all in her political custody by her own expedience!

there is two months to go and Obama is there to lose very badly in November. Mccain people will eat Obama alive!

Reza

August 26, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  8. jeanette

We are the UNITED Democrats of America!
    Thank you Senator Clinton – thank you! Brilliant speech!
    Lets go kick some Republican Arse!!!!!

9. Toni

I think Hillary did exactly what she needed to do, and she meant every word of it, because she wants to make it clear that any supporters of hers who intend to make the jump to McCain aren't doing it for her, and certainly not for the things she believes in.

So they need to do a bit of soul searching as to why they are really making that jump, because it's certainly not for the Democratic party, let alone for America.

10. Change that we all need

Hillary did a great job of telling her folks that it was not about her or them it was about our country and that John McCain is four more years of the same. Thank you Hillary....

11. Pez

She used humor, she was charming, and she connected with things that are really important to the people. If the Hillary that gave tonight's speech was the Hillary we saw every night during the primaries I have no doubt that it would be Hillary accepting the nomination tonight.

Regardless, she has made it clear that she is using her power to help Obama while retaining her power. Extremely smart woman.

12. FV

"If you hear the dogs, keep going.
    If you see the torches in the woods, keep going.
    If they're shouting after you, keep going.
    Don't ever stop. Keep going.
    If you want a taste of freedom, keep going"

HILLARY KICK BUTT!

IF YOU SUPPORTED HILLARY BEFORE AND DON'T VOTE DEMOCRAT THAN YOU JUST DON'T GET IT.
    IT'S ABOUT MORE THAN JUST A WOMAN...OR A BLACK MAN.
    IT'S ABOUT OUR KIDS AND OUR COUNTRY AND OUR FUTURE.

13. Rocky

“I want you to ask yourselves: Were you in this campaign just for me?

Or were you in it for that young Marine and others like him? Were you in it for that mom struggling with cancer while raising her kids? Were you in it for that young boy and his mom surviving on the minimum wage? Were you in it for all the people in this country who feel invisible?”

…No way. No how. No McCain.”

- Hillary Rodham Clinton DNC 8/26/08

14. R Wolf

I am just so proud of being a Democrat and I am so proud of the wonderful Democratic representatives we have. I love Barack Obama, Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden. I was so proud of the speeches, so far, and I can't wait until Thrusday night for Obama's acceptence speech. Finally, hope is alive again and this Country has a chance to correct eight years of wrongs.

15. patricia sweeney

THERE IS NO QUESTION – HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON DESERVED THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINATION FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. SHE WAS INCREDIBLE TONIGHT. SHE'S A BRILLIANT WOMAN AND IT WAS OUT THERE FOR ALL TO SEE. WHAT A MISTAKE TO NOMINATE BARACK OBAMA – WHAT HAS HE DONE? WHAT HAS HE ACCOMPLISHED? IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN HILLARY. AND I'M A REPUBLICAN.

16. ch

Totally agree David – Hillary was beyond awesome.

It just made me MORE dissapointed that she is not the nominee and shemade Obama look that much smaller in comparison.

17. Chris

To all of the posters here tonight who supported HIllary and who continue to voice their resolve to vote for McCain in November, Please, please take a moment to listen to what I say.

Don't you realize that if McCain is elected president, America might very well never recover? It simply won't matter whether or not HIllary gets into the White House in 2012, it will be all too late by then. Our country is on the brink of an economic collapse, whether or not the news media wants to report on the truth of it, the environment is fast reaching a point of no return, and our standing in the world is declining just like the value of our poor dollar. Please realize, there are moments in human history when civilizations and nations stood at a crossroads, with one path leading to destruction and the other to redemption and restoration...and for the people in the midst of those moments there existed only one chance to make a decision about which road to pursue. So you see, I understand that you want Hillary, but it is very possible that the damage being done to this country while you wait for another election cycle will be irreparable. I urge you with the deepest sense of gravitas to consider this. Can you be so selfish, can you risk this much for you and for those you hold dear? The future is at stake, not just the political career of one woman or man....

18. Linda31

David, that's exactly right. Hillary said it best, are you in this for me or the issues. I'm in it for the issues!!!!!! Beautiful speech!

19. NotFallingInLine.org

Thank you, Senator Clinton.

The next two months are going to be interesting…

20. Unsatisfied PUMA

Well, honestly, I was in this for Hillary AND for the larger causes, but I just can't get over what the Democratic party, and the mean-spirited Obama supporters who insulted Hillary day-in-and-day-out did. Obama should have waited his turn and been Hillary's VP and then she could have been president for 8 years, and he for the following 8. Instead, he was selfish and for that reason, I will do what I can to help DEFEAT OBAMA. Yes, Hillary was fantastic tonight. Because... she is fantastic. :) But I will do what I can to see Hillary have the chance to run in 2012!!!!!

PUMAs Unite – Vote McCAIN in 2008 – So we can vote HILLARY in 2012 !!!!!

21. Dan

Hillary Clinton looked presidential. I am glad she was not chosen as Obama's VP – she deserved better treatment from the US Democrats and Mr. Obama! Not choosing Hillary on the ticket is Obama's loss, not nominating her as the Democratic presidential candidate is our country's loss!!

August 26, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  22. Mark

CNN, you are pathetic. You have shown yourself to be every bit as biased as any of the campaigns- you want this to be a close race for the sake of the news. Dominating your coverage has been the rift between Obama and Clinton supporters, and now complaints that the Democrats have been "wasting" this convention. I honestly wouldn't know, since you seem more enamored with the sounds of your own voices than whatever is happening at the podium.

Democrats- CSPAN actually has completely unbiased coverage of this convention, so you can actually make up your own minds about it for a change! CNN, go ahead and let Wolf and John King spin this convention for the sake of more contrived news. You will only be discrediting your own coverage. We don't need you to shove a story down our throats. We can watch on a REAL news channel. One that doesn't care about spinning the coverage to their own advantage.

WATCH ON CSPAN INSTEAD EVERYONE! You'll see more coverage of the actual events, and less BS from Wolf and John King.

August 26, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  23. Leroy on the OBAMA CULT

Obama is just using Hillary, when OBAMA TAKES POWER

You will BOW to Obama

Michelle is an angry pitbull so I suggest you fall in line.

OBAMA is better than all us, and you will bow down, this 3 ring circus will be over soon, and soon Obama will take power

August 26, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  24. Kittyluv

Stronger then Obama on all fronts. No Hillary.... Hello McCain......!

August 26, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  25. Ron

This was Hillary's finest hour. I think some of her supporters did not listen to her. Those are the very ones who will be complaining if John McCain wins.

August 26, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |