August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. Sharron

Hillary Clinton is fantastic. She is the most dynamic speaker in this election.
    As I watched her tonight I couldn't help but remind myself what a missed opportunity this has been.
    She truely is the best candidate and she would have been president.
    I doubt very much that Obama will be.

August 26, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  2. m.mcc

What I saw and heard was a speech that she HAD to make and she did it exceptionally well, as far as it went. I saw a strong endorsement for traditional Democratic ideals and programs. I saw the obligatory attack on the opposition and I saw a great deal of talk about what SHE had wanted to accomplish.

What I didn't see was a strong endorsement for Barack Obama. She barely talked about him. Time will tell if this was enough to bring her supporter's back into the fold. I have my doubts.

August 26, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  3. Mike

As an Obama supporter I'm very grateful for Hillary's determined remarks in support of Barack Obama. Healing the wounds of the Democratic Party is crucial to a Democratic victory in November. There can be no doubt whatsoever about her sincerity and her desire to convince her supporters to back the nomination of Barack Obama!

August 26, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  4. JC

"Were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes?" That's PUMAs question, now, to Hillary?

August 26, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  5. trading wine for beer

OMG... I LOVE HILLARY!!! She commanded the night! She stole the DNC thunder! No wonder BO didn't pick her as the VP. He'd be sooooooooooooooooooooooo in her shadow!

Her speech pissed me off because it was yet another example of why we NEED her to be our president; and how the sexist media and corrupt caucuses stole this election from her whilst the freakin' DNC stood idly by.

I loved the part about fighting for what you believe in, no matter what lumps you take, or threat you come upon, to keep keeping on!

August 26, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  6. Mad as a mother.....Dem

yes america has always asked us to stand for a cause greater then our on self interest Hillary showed her supporters as well as McCain and his supporters that we as demacrates most stand together or we will fall together I give my thanks to Hillary for doing what i think is all she could to bring her supporters to the right side.

TO THE PEOPLE LICKING CRUST OFF OF HILLARY'S SHOES ITS OVER PEOPLE GIVE IT UP OR LOSE A NATION !

August 26, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  7. WOW!

Hillary will make a great president!!! If she had delivered speeches like this during the democratic race>she would be the nominee. I am a republican but I bet tonight republicans every where are glad Obama is DNC nominee> he will be so very easy for McCain to beat!!!!! Hillary would be another story!!!!! I am proud of her!!!

August 26, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  8. Ronny Luxembourg citizen

Is it me being paranoid or do I sense some republicans on coke desperately and still trying on this blog to divide that wonderful democratic spirit that has been demonstrated this evening ? I mean, the woman said: vote for Obama. Anyone who favored her should (and I'm pretty sure will) vote for the issue, that is, out with the warlords...

August 26, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  9. Jen, TN

Give it up Pat Buchanan, Hillary was great and we are united. Your planted republicans carrying the Hilliary signs can go home now and tell big daddy cain...No way! No how! No Mccain!

August 26, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  10. Proud of Hillary and what we BOTH stand for

I am for something bigger and I thought she could provide that better then anyone else. At the same time, I feel that Obama can provide that better then McCain, if he does get the nomination.

I will not give up the fight like others. I will not let what she has fought for, and continues to fight for, be wasted, or lost, like others, on a vote for McCain.

Hillary you are a strong and amazing woman that has my support, but more important then that the rights and freedoms that we BOTH believe in will always have my support.

Obama 08

August 26, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  11. ugh

To "Hillary Your Are the Woman!!!"
    People like you are the reason people in other countries think Americans are stupid. You sit there and listen to what your idol wants you to do, then you do the opposite? Idiot. If you really support someone you do what THEY want you to do, which is vote for Obama. If McCain gets in we're all screwed, you in the US and us abroad.

August 26, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  12. Adam

HILLARY 2012!!!

Screw Obama.

August 26, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  13. Ferri

I must say that I was so proud to be a woman tonight after hearing Hillary's speech. She proved how humble she is by standing there and proudly representing Barack. I think it says a lot for our Nation that we are coming together.

August 26, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  14. James In Oregon

Tonight we seen the death of the PUMA "LOONIES".

August 26, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  15. Sandy

Bill Clinton ruined her chances – he's ruining himself with his pouting.

Poor sports.

August 26, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  16. Judie, Las Vegas NV

I believe she did fantastic...the body language of Bill Clinton was quite interesting though, can't wait to hear what others say about his body language.

August 26, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  17. Happy in Oregon

I am not a Hillary supporter but tonight she did a great job of uniting the Democratic party. Her 'followers' need to get over themselves now and either vote for Barack or stay home on election day. Her line about No Way, No How, No McCain was a great line and she gave a great speech. Good for you Hillary.

August 26, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  18. Robert from CT

I am an Obama supporter who is excited to make a contribution to Hillary tonight for retiring her debt, and would support her in 2016 happily. She knocked it out of the park, and convinced my PUMA family members (3) that she really does want him to win. Thank you for working to unite the party and help us defeat McCain, who is more of the same.

**********************
    One House, One Spouse
    Obama/Biden 2008
    **********************

August 26, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  19. Catherine

Clinton didn't have to say she supported Obama. Clinton simply needed to say a vote for McCain is a vote to sacrifice the future of our daughters and granddaughters at the alter of the GOP ultra conservative wing.

Everyone knows the Clintons don't want Obama. But Obama is the nominee, so they have to move forward with the party if they want a future in politics.

August 26, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  20. Anna

Hillary's speech was of presidential quality! As a woman, it saddens me to see that Hillary is not on the ticket as a president nor vice president. I agree with everything that Anne Price Mills said tonight in her interview on CNN..Obama is going to have to win me over, because my dissapointment is overwhelming that he chose Joe Biden as his running mate. It gives me great pause on how I will proceed with voting in November.

I also second the comment that Earl from Manchester, WA has written (above), the wrong senator is on the presidential ticket.

August 26, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  21. Jim

Hillary Clinton is one of the most magnanimous and courageous women of our time. She will and has emerged as a hero of American politics. Thank you Hillary for clearing a path and uniting our party!

August 26, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  22. Just Me

Here comes the Republicans.

WHY ARE THE MCSAME SUPPORTERS CRITICIZING HILLARY FOR A GREAT SPEECH.

THEY NEVER GIVE UP. HILLARY GAVE A GREAT SPEECH.

WE--ARE--ONE! UNITED-–DEMOCRATS!

HILLARY WILL MAKE A GREAT (SECRETARY OF STATE).

August 26, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  23. Jen from Portland

Yes, this election is about causes, but it's not just about promoting Democratic values – - it's about restoring competence to governance, versus the dangerous incompetence displayed for the past eight years: The President turns a surplus into a whopping deficit, the VP makes sure that energy companies are well-compensated, the EPA is not allowed to protect the air, the FDA can't ensure safe drugs, FEMA can't handle crises, scientists aren't allowed to publish the truth to protect the earth from global warming, and all the behind-the -curtain manipulation is cloaked in lost e-mails. This election is about restoring a governing system that works to solve the real problems we are facing and restore our faith in the future.

August 26, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  24. B. Hawkins

Great speech Hillary. Bringing home what the priorities of this election are all about. No Way,No How, No McCain..The Democratic party is the party for women and will best serve the interest of women in her view. NO WAY,NO HOW,NO McCain.

August 26, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  25. Hil4Prez

This is why Hillary should have the one being nominated on Thursday! Go PUMA!

August 26, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |