August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. jeanette

We are the UNITED Democrats of America!
    Thank you Senator Clinton – thank you!
    Now, lets go kick some Republican Arse!!!!!

No way – No how – NO MCCAIN!!!!! W00-H00!!!!!

August 26, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  2. Jamie

I have always been a Hilary supporter, but she is right, I am in this not for just her but for my children. I'm on the brink of choosing Obama, but still after this, shame on you Obama for not picking Hilary for your VP. She just delivered you the convention, so I hope you acknowledge that and show her the respect she deserves.

August 27, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  3. No_Obama

Hillary proved again why she is the better candidate for president. Obama knows full well choosing her as the VP would eventually make even his most ardent supporters realize this.

August 27, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  4. Sandy

BREAKING NEWS

BLITZER HAS NAMED HILLARY CLINTON THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES !!!!!

August 27, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  5. HUGE HILL SUPPORTER.

I wasn't planning on voting for Obama, but after that speech, I'll do what my girl says and vote for him.

He had better be nice to her from now on. Seriously. You all had better be nice to her. Because she really was the stronger candidate.

He'll get my vote this time around. Next time? Let's see what the next four years bring.

August 27, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  6. Connor in NY

Hillary Clinton is a true inspiration, the most amazing presidential candidate of my lifetime. I am honored to stand beside her in wholeheartedly supporting Senator Obama in November.

Sen. Obama: we're still a little sore about the VP choice, but Secretary of State Clinton doesn't sound too bad. ;)

August 27, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  7. Dave of MD

A great speech. However, I believe that many of Hillary's supporters, (particularly the black woman interviewed immediately after speech), needs some serious COUNSELING.

Love that line from Hillary. "Were you in it for me?" or The real cause.

Obama/Biden 08/12

August 27, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  8. JP

Hillary did a fantastic job tonight. She spoke the truth from the heart.

August 27, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  9. george

I saw that Hillary supporter almost in tears talking like a fool. I'm really trying to understand her insanity... But then again there is the problem.

Please vote, OBAMA 08

get it together people

August 27, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  10. Latina For Barack

I am watching the DNC and am missing Tim Russert. Tim I wonder what you are thinking....

To the woman who is over dramatic. She should look at the leaders of MSFT, Google, Yahoo!.

August 27, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  11. Mary

To: Unsatisfied PUMA

What Hilary's supporters fail to realize is that her supporters alone cannot get her into the WH in 2012. Regardless of who wins in November and if Hilary decides to run again in 2012, she will need Obama's supporters as well–be careful, what goes around comes around.

And another thing, I hope that she runs a better campaign her next time around because at the end of the day it was not Obama that caused her the nomination, it was her poorly run campaign for the nomination and her supporters need to take their blinders off and recognize that well known and well documented fact and Hilary herself also needs to stop being in denial and realize that she alone is responsible for the disaster that was her campaign.

August 27, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  12. Chuck

Dems really blew it. HRC should have been the nominee. Great speech and a pretty good woman. BHO is gonna struggle on after this. Bad pick taking Joe for #2.

August 27, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  13. Sandra Ahrens

Hillary's speech tonight only solidified the fact that she should be the Democratic nominee for President. I am 62 and have voted in EVERY election since I was eligible to vote. My conscience will not allow me to vote for either McCain or Obama. I WILL write in Hillary Clinton's name at the final election!!!

August 27, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  14. Brad

I'm beginning to wonder how many of these so-called PUMAs on the internet are actually part of Rush Limbaugh's Operation Chaos. If these so-called PUMAs don't follow Hillary's lead now, it's pretty clear that these are people who were never going to support Obama or any other nominee of the Democratic Party for any reason. Such people are not Democrats.

August 27, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  15. Dave from GA

This speech was fantastic! Hillary did a great job and framed the issue correctly: If you are for the ideals that Hillary's campaign was about, then you MUST vote for Barack Obama in November.

McCain is against nearly EVERY issue of concern to Hillary. He and the extreme right wing (Romney, Guiliani and Hannity) want nothing more than to divide, then dismiss Hillary supporters. If that happens, they will ensure Health care is only for those wealthy to buy it, abortion is criminalized and our environment is trashed for another four years!

Democrats are truly united against McCain and Bush. We are voting Obama-Biden this November.

August 27, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  16. ZKY

Obamabots only praise Hillary when it suits their interests. And they can turn nasty at her any second. They're self-righteous, arrogant and blind. Do they really think they can win back the angry Hillary supporters after trashing Hillary so long? Obama's bid is doomed by you guys' arrogance, his arrogance and his lack of substance. Maybe you Obamabots will wake up when he destroys his chances in November.

Sandy-PA, you and many other stupid blind supporters are the reason why my friends, my colleages and I will vote for Mccain. Watch the fall of "the One".

August 27, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  17. NO SIDEKICK MCCAIN

HILLARY THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING OBAMA. NOW WE NEED TO VOTE TO GIVE WORKING FAMILIES A FIGHTING CHANCE.

NO WAY.......NO HOW...................NO MCCAIN

August 27, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  18. Dorian

I am very pleased with her speech. I wish people would stop looking at her and her husband as the bad guys. She delivered it and told us as dems to unite and take back the white house that should have stayed ours since 2000.

August 27, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  19. BJ

The Democrats picked the wrong nominee.

Hillary is awesome, brilliant and extremely presidential.

August 27, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  20. Laurie

I was a strong Clinton supporter. I too had my doubts about Obama, but I am also a strong democrat. I am a single parent who struggles from time to time and this country's economy will not survive 4 more years of Bush. We need to unite. I wish it were Hillary but if anything maybe she'll be in the cabinet when the Democrats take over!

August 27, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  21. Irene -- New York, New York

What amazed me most was how she did what she "had to do" - i.e. calling for her supporters to unify and back BO - and she did it without "lying" or betraying her self. The question she asked "were you in this just for me... or" was surely the question she has had to ask herself in these weeks - and answer herself.

I am a strong Hillary supporter and I will vote for Barack Obama not because I believe he will be a better president than she - I don't - but because I have to. We all have to lay our egos aside a little it seems or else the Republicans will prevail.

Obama supporters I beg of you don't gloat and please stop calling her Billary etc. You are actually alienating the very people you need to help you elect your Obama president. Within our own party, we have to treat each other with grace and respect or McCain will win.

"United there is little we cannot do in a host of cooperative ventures. Divided there is little we can do." JFK Innaugural speech

August 27, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  22. Michael

Hillary gave a great speech! She proved to me all over again why she should be on the ticket as President. I am so disappointed she is not. I know she was right about what needs to be done to fix this country. I believe in her ability to deliver, I still don't know about Obama. I supported Hillary because I believe in her, I do not believe in Obama. He says the right things, but I don't know if he is ready. Hillary did not convince me he is ready. I am so discouraged.
    I now consider myself an independent. I will examine both Obama and McCain and give them equal chance. Obama must prove himself to me. Issues are so so important. But in these times, a President must must be ready.

August 27, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  23. Steve

Thank you David/. Hillary made me proud to be a supporter of hers and for Barack No way No how No McCain answers the woman who did the ad for McCain and didn't even know that McCain was not pro-choice. The media hype about disunity is about to be buried.

August 27, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  24. John

Hilary made a great speech tonight; if she had made more speeches like that during the campaign, things might have been different. But she mismanaged her campaign, got desperate and went negative. She helped perpetuate the myth (and it is a myth) that Obama has no substance. I really do believe that tonight when she said she learned a lot from the campaign, she is telling the truth – but I also strongly believe that the best candidate for the job won. And that person is Obama. And to those Hilary supporters who would still vote for McCain just to vote against Obama, I think you have been manipulated to the point where you have lost track of the big picture, and what is best for this country. Obama-Biden 08!

August 27, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  25. Phil Rizzo

I just would like to see Hillary in a skirt some time.

August 27, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |