August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. California Gold

Senator Clinton has a fantastic speech writing team and she can deliver the goods with a sparkling personality, wit and intellect.

However, when she was speaking about her campaign, what she stands for, the issues that are important to her, and the poignant stories of Americans she has met and learned about during her Presidential campaign it struck me she was still trumpeting her campaign and left the door open for 2012.

Her message was spot on, but she left me feeling she is still running for something rather than shifting to a well respected leader of the Democrat party who can ignite and galvanize the crowd for Obama.

Sadly I still believe it was about Hillary.

August 27, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  2. Quinn - Houston, Texas

I'm an Obama supporter who has nothing but LOVE for Hillary after tonight!

I was wrong about her. She is NOT selfish. She is strong and wise!

I will vote for her anyday for anything!

Obama or Clinton 08 – 12 – 16 and beyond!!!!!

August 27, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  3. Farah

Best Speech by Hillary Clinton so far!!!!!!!! I was in tears by the time it was over...I think the country now realizes the mistake the Obamas made in not choosing Hillary for VP!!

August 27, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  4. Donna

Hey David..don't you just love how people have to tear Obama down while they build Hillary up?? They can't just admit that they are both great candidates for different reasons...even after her speech you still have the "closed mind brigade" reading things into her speech that wasn't there...still whining about her being the better choice instead of honoring her wishes and uniting the party...

Is it any wonder why she is still in debt? Her "followers" stopped worrying about her well being a looooonnnnngggg time ago..this is purely about their selfishness and thinking "they" deserve something...I feel sorry for Hillary that "these" are the types of people she has in her corner!!!

August 27, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  5. Amy Venida

Senator Clinton was at her finest hour tonight. Her speech hit all the right marks, and was delivered with great authenticity. I applaud her for her statesmanship and her magnanimity.

6. Debby

WOW her speech was fantastic and from the mouth of a leader. Biden looked like he was in shock. What was up with Michelle Obama and her mug you would think she would be ecstatic the way Hillary endorsed her husband after losing to him.

7. Jake

Obama's biggest mistake so far was not selecting Hillary for VP. I believed and supported him from the beggining. Hillary was not my candidate. Tonight I am questioning his judgement.

8. senlay

Hillary was great!

As an 'older' woman I never thought I would be around to see a woman as President. As an African American woman I never thought I'd see an African American as the nominee for President. As an AMERICAN, I don't believe this should be about Barack, Hillary or McCain. For too long we have voted based on who we 'liked' or who was 'like us'. I will vote for Barack, not because he is 'like me' (no one is like me but me) but because he and the Democrats say they will fight to achieve the goals I want to see achieved (end to Iraq war, health care, equal rights for women, a better economy and better education for my grandchildren) and because what he says about what we can do resonates with me. I want ALL of the children in this, our America, to have better lives than I had (that's why I voted for Bill Clinton twice) As Hillary said, we cannot afford to sit on the sidelines or turn to what is not in our best interests because of who we like or who we percieve is like us. I've been voting a long time for folks who weren't like me and I will continue to do so as long as what they want is what I want for my Country and the citizens therein.

9. Richard Spencer

Hillary said exactly what the DNC wanted her to say but it's clear her supporters aren't convinced. Experience is better than any Democrat that is running for office.

10. K.NIX

Peggy Judy August 26th, 2008 11:49 pm ET

Hundreds of people that I know will still support McCain over Obama in November. It is time for the people to take a stand and show our politicians that we do have the right to our vote and they have no right to trump it. I have never been so ashamed of my party in my life. I have always worn my "Proud to Be a Democrat" gear — until now. I would rather be a Republican (after a lifetime of being a straight Democrat) than support an inexperienced man that I do not trust. At least Michelle can finally be proud of her Country and it only took making millions of us ashamed of our Country's so called democracy in action. The DNC has made the Democratic Party more like Communist. We don't get a choice and our vote gets trumped.

So ignorant. Why would you throw your future away rather than voting for a black man.
    THAT SAYS ALOT ABOUT YOU.

11. PUMA 4 HILL

Yes, great speech by a great American Girl.

But sorry... I knew long before she was kicked to the curb that it was her or McCain for me... not Obama. He hasn't accomplished anything except his focus to rise and along the way played dirty. He's a disgrace. This has NOTHING to do with Hillary for me... it's just he is not the choice for me or America.

12. Andy in DR from CA & NY

David, I was one of those critics saying that she played her hand too long and pulled too many cards from the GOP deck and then fueled lingering doubts with a lukewarm "suspension" of her campaign. She EARNED my respect tonight and regained a huge hunk of the leagacy she almost lost – for a story that is not finished and is still being written... courageous to put her life's work FIRST alongside the PARTY and stating without a doubt that the nation cannot withstand another four years of GOP. Obama/Biden is a formidible team of quality and substance.

13. Jamie from San Francisco

If Obama wins the Presidency, Hillary's debt will get retired. She is amazing. She will have a great campaign in 2012 and we will keep a Democrat in the White House.

14. Auf Wiedersehen

Kudos to Hillary. Great speech.

15. vic nashville,Tn

She made it
    Its look like Hillary’s convention
    She gave very good speech
    Thanks
    But I can’t imagine any ticket with out Hillary
    Life long democrat and Hillary strong supporter will vote for Mc Cain
    Hillary 2012 /Mc Cain2008

16. Rochelle

I believe Hillary did a superb job delivering her message to the American people that we must elect Senator Obama to the White House as President for CHANGE! The only problem I had was after her message that stupid woman who is a Democratic delegate who was on National Television talking about she doesn't know if she will even vote in the election. My question is......Then why are you a delegate if you can't decide if you will vote? My comments to her: Hillary would have made a great President, but she is not the nominee! Some people don't have the power to vote and the issues are still before us. What are you going to do? I say-MOVE out of the way– you are a bad influence on the Democratic Party. Vote her off the Island!

17. Kim of Allen, TX

EXCELLENT SPEECH!! The best speech I have heard from HRC...No more McSame

18. Peter (CA)

No way! No how! No McCain!

Haters.....go over to the dark side now and let us enjoy a real future.

August 27, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  19. Ronny Luxembourg citizen

Right you are, Jen from Portland. And oh, forgive my ignorance, but what the heck does PUMA mean ?

August 27, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  20. art

To Frank from California:
    Which speech were you watching? You sound like one of those "famous" Fox news so called analysts.

August 27, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  21. Jeff

Well, after hearing Hillary's speech tonight, there is no longer any doubt in my mind:

I'm voting for Hillary!

Go Hillary!

2012 or even 2008!!!!!!

August 27, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  22. April in Texas

I would like to say that as a woman had Obama chosen Hillary he would have lost my vote. Obama chose Biden due to his background and how he hasnt allowed Washington to change his beliefs and way of life. I think it was a wise choice. Now for those planning on voting McCain, I truely dont understand why you even vote as it seems you vote for preference and not for policies. Obama and Clinton had such similar policy views but the only difference was one was old Washington (Hillary) and one was new Washington (Obama). I wonder if any of you have ever done community work as Obama did because if you had you would realize how much experience and knowledge you can get from that work. Womens issues are one of the largest differences between Obama and McCain which will pretty much halt for years many womens rights. If you plan to vote please do research instead of listening to others including me. Otherwise you are just voting cause your upset and please if you do don’t complain later if you dont like what you get.

Obama/Biden 08

PUMA folks if you still believe in voting McCain then you were just voting for a beauty contest and not the issues. Hillary did great and I am an independant white woman who votes for issues and not because my first choice didnt win.

August 27, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  23. Murph

Thought this was Hillary's finest hour. The entire time I watched her, I kept saying to myself that this is who should be the nominee of the Democratic party. However, she made it clear to her supporters that their task was to support Obama if they believed in her message and that I shall do.

August 27, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  24. Bob

I believe Hillary is a good speaker and an even better actor. I believe Obama is a great speaker and is not acting a role. He really means what he says. He is genuine.

August 27, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  25. Former PUMA, just converted

I was going to vote for McCain after the way the DNC treated Hillary, but she's right, it was never about her, it's about our future. I can't ignore her endorsement only because of how genuine and true it was. I wish we could afford to wait 4 years for Hillary in '12 but we just can't afford to. Even though I am skeptical about Obama he is much better than McCain.

Obama '08 - Hillary '16