August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. stone

Hilary ; You are a smart lady,I couldn,t belive the words that you said was from your heart. Why you capitulated to OB? 2012 is really important for you? Obama is losing 2008! You will lose 2012.

August 27, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  2. Tim

Someone please tell that sobbing Hillary supporter that Obama's been out of Harvard for over 20 years.

August 27, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  3. observer

Democrates Unite– No Way, No How, No McCain!

August 27, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  4. JoRo

Hillary's speech was brilliant and historic... CNN's coverage was tragic! Why did you cut to the blubbering delegate who can only manage to promise that she won't vote for McCain!! Did I change over to FOX news? Did CNN correspondent stay with her 4 minutes too long? BUZZ KILL. I was hoping CNN would cut to commercial! Mr. Gergen, I hope you TIVOed this and can get an opportunity to be entirely disappointed in your employer. Can you hear the correspondents in the background saying, "enough, enough?"

August 27, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  5. R-U-4-REAL!!!!

I'm shocked at all of the comments from Hillary supporters who are still on the same train that has not only derailed, fallen over a cliff, but now the engineer has told you to jump to safety before you crash, and even jumped out herself, yet you still hold on for the ride.

This isn't a game you @)_!)&*%, this is about our future, not just about you, your silly grudges or the 50 bucks you put into her campaign!

Grow Up People!! If you voted for her, vote for Obama, they have practically identical policies and views about America's future.

August 27, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  6. TonyNJHC

A Great Speech From A Great President To BE! It Is Hillary or nobody. We are ready to fight on the New Jersey Line. Give Em Hell Kid! & best regards to good old black ink Bill, as once upon a time he got us out of debt. How soon some forget. How some never forget! Keep swinging kid as we are with you!

August 27, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  7. Jason Miles

Either we stick together or we lose.. its a choice, do you really choose Hillary over unity, our Democratic party and your country. Even Hillary has the intelligence to do the right thing!

Frustrated,

J. Miles

August 27, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  8. DemCrats

Ignore the republicans comments. They are just as the devil – they are only here to keep you from doing what is right. Dont even entertain their ignorancel Look right over their comments and laugh! LOL!!!!

Vote Democrat!

August 27, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  9. Iowafarm Guy

Well, I just glad she's not the VP she would be hard to bet. Nice speech, I wonder when she said proud mother, proud Dem, proud american, But how about a PROUD WIFE. Family Values is huge to me. Sorry!

August 27, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  10. mark

AMERICA - YOU JUST LOST YOUR NEXT GREAT PRESIDENT IN HILLARY

August 27, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  11. Kim, WI

All of you so called Hillary Now MCCain supporters are just racist pretending to be upset about Hillary's loss.

None of you would vote for a Black man, no matter who he were. There will always be an "excuse" to not vote for someone with Black skin. You all need to search your souls and be honest with your selves.

August 27, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  12. Pete Smith

We heard the words of her speech tonight. Now let's watch her actions and the actions of Bill Clinton until the end of this election. After all, actions speak louder than words. We'll see the real Clintons yet.

August 27, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  13. YesWeCan08

I would LOVE to hear thos that say "Go PUMA" Respond to this part of Hillary's Speech!!

August 26th, 2008 11:53 pm ET

“I want you to ask yourselves: Were you in this campaign just for me?

Or were you in it for that young Marine and others like him? Were you in it for that mom struggling with cancer while raising her kids? Were you in it for that young boy and his mom surviving on the minimum wage? Were you in it for all the people in this country who feel invisible?”

…No way. No how. No McCain.

Barack Obama is my candidate. And he must be our president.”

– Hillary Rodham Clinton DNC 8/26/08

A vote for McCain is a slap to Hillary's face and all of her hard work.

August 27, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  14. fredsanjose

In any election, there needs to be good cops and bad cops. Nominees should be the good cop. Runner ups should be the bad cops, as the Republicans have been. Dems generally are too nice to say anything negative. Clintons, as primary has shown, more than willing to get down and dirty. Dems need more attack dogs and the Clintons are perfect for the role.

August 27, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  15. Toni

I also agree with refusing to acknowledge the PUMAs aka GOPs in disguise. This was a great night, not only for Democrats, but for EVERYONE that is sick of the Bush Administration and has no intention of throwing our future down the toilet with a McCain Administration.

No way, no how, no McCain!

Obama/Biden 08!

August 27, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  16. Michael

No Way, No How, No McSame.

If you vote for Hillary before, you are in it for the whole thing... Vote Obama to continue your dream!!!

Democrats 2008

August 27, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  17. Robert

No Way, No How, No OBAMA…!!! No Way, No How, No OBAMA…!!!

McCain 08

PUMA All the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 27, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  18. Former PUMA, just converted

I STILL LOVE YOU HILLARY AND HOPE TO SEE YOU AS THE SECRETARY OF STATE!!!

August 27, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  19. Juan

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY Senator Obama, dint pick her for VP they make a wonderful Team together, and that is the change that we really need for this country they both care for these country, but I really think
    that Hillary is better than Obama on many ways. The speech phenomenal,

August 27, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  20. Thirty year old Asian gal for McCain

I voted for Hill in the primaries but McCain now has my solid vote. I'm not joining this Obama cult just because it's the trendy Hollywood thing to do. Hillary did what she had to do to position herself four years from now and she delivered a good speech. However, when the confetti clears, who will be standing there? Who is Barack Obama? I WILL NOT vote for a guy with so little experience, such questionable, racist (and yes, even terroristic) mentors and friends and someone who is a smooth talker. He doesn't even know who he is – voting "present" most of the time instead of taking a stance. He is crafty, he's calculated just what it's taken to get here and I don't trust him.

August 27, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  21. An old school Dem

She's magnificent! Why the hell isn't she the nominee???!!!

August 27, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  22. Jenny

Hillary was absolutely specutacular! She surprised me once again not only because she had given the best speech of her life but more so because of her absolutely unselfish love for her country and for the underpriviledged. Hillary has proven that she is more incredible than she had shown us in the past.

August 27, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  23. Efi, Hutschison MN

I think she did an awesome job to refocus her supporters on the reasons they were fighting during this campaign. Bush, McCain, Cheney and Rove have been an epedemic to America during the past eight years. This disaster needs to stop. For those who don't care about the furture of this great country, who do not care about their children futre, you can go ahead and hand it over to Mccain so the disaster can continue. If the last eight years have been a complete disaster, then a Mccain administration couple with his age and temperament problems will bring the collapse of this great nation. Watch out China is lurking at the corner working hard to over take us. We can't let this happen. We must join Obama and work for a greater future for America. "No way, No how, No McCain!"

August 27, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  24. Emma

Brad, did you actually listen to the speech? She mentioned quite a few times that she supports Obama and that he would be a great President. She also outlined what this country needs and she said Obama is the one who can deliver it. She gave an awesome speech but I'm not surprised that Obama's supporters are still unhappy. Frankly, I don't know what else you want from her.

August 27, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  25. Fazio

Hillary made a very inspirational speech. I thought it was especially good in that she didn't showcase herself (well, almost), but instead stressed unity of the party. I am very curious to see how her message pans out in the following days, weeks, and months.... if Hillary supporters will continue to declare their intentions to vote Republican (even when Hillary herself says that this is one of the most foolish things to do). Wait and see...

August 27, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |