August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. Duop Chak, Colorado Springs, Colorado

The door for the Republicans has been closed.

August 27, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  2. HillaryIn2012

No way, no how, NO-BAMA!

August 27, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  3. Jim

Reading all the comments on several places the first thought that comes to my mind- " And The LORD caused them to fight amongst themselves" Do you think you can Break His Laws & Lie,Cheat,Steal,Commit Adultry,Murder & every abomination under the sun Then call upon him to Bless????? Shall you call Good evil & Evil good & acceptable & think he will hear when iniquity is regarded in every heart ? Fill up the cup of your iniquity Babylon For the day of Judgement draws nigh.Laugh & mock on & continue in your ways.
    Judgement has been decreed from on high & America will not hear nor repent- Now God will not hear when the destruction comes & the wicked cry out to him. The whole system is corrupt & there is no wellness in it.-The wicked have been warned to repent but will not hear , Chastized but only harden their hearts & stiffen their necks.

August 27, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  4. Florida voter

MAN, this shows that Hillary should have been the nominee.

5. Mitch

Although I am not a fan of Hillary, I have to say that I was very impressed with her speech tonight. I knew going into the convention that she was the one that will really need to pull the party together and I think that she perfectly achieved that tonight!!!!! Bravo!!!!

6. John Proche

Hillary should have been the nominee and tonight proved it yet again. MCain '08 and Hillary in '12 !!!!!!

7. Louis

i'm not a single parent, nor unemployed, nor without medical insurance, or a female or gay. I'm a pround father of a middle income family. I did not hear Hillary talk about me or the other fathers in married families. Do I not fit the Democrat description. Hillary why did you not talk about us. not a single moment that I hear you talk about the average american.

8. Anne

I think Hillary's speech was so inspirational. Why anyone could be so selfish to vote for more of the same policies is just ignorant. I guess those voters are not thinking of the millions who are depending on the democratic change that they need to keep going and not fall further behind. I guess some people can't see beyond their selfishness.

9. Cheri

I am an Obama supporter and I think Hillary's speech was amazing.She was so gracious and funny and had me in tears.I hope all of her supporters will do the right thing for our country and get behind Obama.

10. Ben

Some people are saying that Obama was forced on "us".
    This is not true.
    I and millions of others voted for him.
    It's called democracy people.

11. Anonymous

That was the good one!

12. Ed- Word

It scares me that people,(the woman CNN talked to after her speech) would get so emotional that she didn't receive the nomination. Get it together people. "Your personal connection" doesn't equal the right candidate. I have a great personal connection with all my friends but wouldn't vote for any of them for president! They're both good candidates but OBAMA WON!!! So get on board(like Hillary asked) or choose the alternative, sit on the sideline and let the Bush clone run away with the election.

13. Anna

Hillary didnt say enough good things about Obama????
    She doesn't have a personal friendship or relationship with him outside of the common goals of the Party. Why should she say things that are disingenuine and help neither the candidate nor his former rival?????

Hillary offering phony praise to Obama doesn't make him look better!

14. Eugene

If you heard Hillary tonight (fabulous!), and you're anything close to being a Democrat, and you're voting for McCain, you're no friend of Hillary, you're not close to being a Democrat, and, after tonight, you'll find yourself in a very small room with not a whole lot to cheer about. It's going to get even better.

15. LS

PUMA's – no one is listening to you after tonights incredible speech by Hillary.

You're either going to stand behind Hillary or turn away from her. And if you all don't understand her point by now, you all never will.

But let's be honest here. . . you PUMA's are actually Repubs in disguise, because a TRUE Hillary supporter wouldn't turn away. Your covers have been blown.

Thanks Hillary for your incredible heartfelt speech!!

Obama/Biden '08

16. Robert

I have supported Obama ever since Kucinich dropped out of the race, but tonight, I found new respect for Hillary Clinton. She was magnificent. Obama was the better choice for President, and he will be a great president. But Hillary really rocked it tonight. Her question about whether people supported her just for her, or for the causes she stood for should be pondered deeply by her supporters who are saying they will vote for McCain. That is just lunacy, and she knows it and has said so in a very clear way. I especially enjoyed the warm up to her speech by the Governor of Montana. Would like to see more of him.

August 27, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  17. KB

Don't be fooled by the FAKE Hillary supporters who are supporting McCain. The righties will do whatever it takes to divide our party. With strong players like HRC, Biden, Pres. Clinton, and the Obamas this country is poised to recapture the values, inovation, and respect that we have mad us a world leader.

Obama 08
    Hillary on the Supreme Court!!

August 27, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  18. Gold Canyon Gal, AZ

Consumate Hillary! This speech will go down in history, as a clarion call to all women...don't stop now! Look at the issues, look away from the obvious, look away from the spin, look away from whatever is holding you back, but hold that line! Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on for whatever advantage gained from our hard work, don't look back...don't stop now...put a Dem in the WH and then we will hold their feet to the fire...oh yeah, Baby! I love you, Hillary, my BFF... head 'em up...move 'em out....and all that other trite BS...including, but not limited to..."Just Do It!"

August 27, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  19. RJ, CA

It shoulda, it coulda been Hillary! WE WILL REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

August 27, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  20. miguel gomez

Wonderful, amazing, masterful.. Showed some grace to these OBAMANIACS, it is not time to change president, it's time to change the people, they seem to always get it wrong when it comes to selecting our leaders, case in point (Bush over Al Gore, Bush over Kerry, Obama over Clinton), yep, it's time to change the people. let's bring some other countries' people vote for us down here.

August 27, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  21. Mike

Anyone still saying that they have yet to see any substance from Obama needs to become a more informed American citizen and do your part to make an informed vote.

You only need to look to his website to find perhaps the most detailed policy plans that any presidential candidate has EVER made available to the public before an election. The internet has enabled us all the make better choices in our lives. Do your part and get informed or you'll have no one to blame for four more years of misery.

Hillary gave a fantastic speech tonight and I hope some of her supporters can heed her words.

Obama '08!

August 27, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  22. chris nguyen

as voters we want to see hillary in 2012.. vote for mc caine not for that bozo no exp no records obama..

August 27, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  23. Allen In North Carolina

If she drove herself twenty million dollars in debt in just a few months..... My GOD!!!!.... What could she do to america in four years?..... You'd better wake up people....... And she still has her day coming in court..... Can you hillary supporters say (Peter PAUL)?........ The courts know who he is..... But yet hillary can't remember who he is.........

August 27, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  24. Mathew

no more Hilary supporter in McCain field,only some republicans write commend say they are Hilary supporter who vote for McCain, no more democrats not even think about McCain , becoz she revel us why she run for this election, for what she stand for and fight for,,,,,am proud of Hilary ,,a great leader of democrat,,,,party and country first,,not like McCain bush ,,there pocket and there life first,,,play any dirty game for win,,,no more place in American history for this waste dumps,,, old man no more chance for u ,look at your beer business ,no place in American politics,,,,

August 27, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  25. Mike

I would have loved to have seen Hillary in office and it akes me sad that this will not happen. However, I have come to accept that this, in fact, WILL NOT HAPPEN. Everything that Hillary stands for is the exact opposite of McBush. Thus, for lack of a better option, we MUST vote Obama and hope he has a fraction of Hillary's strength (or puts her in his cabinet) to carry out their collective vision.

August 27, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |