August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. Independent

David, I thought Hillary gave a terrific, well-crafted, but self-serving speech tonight. She should have been more humble and given more substantive arguments to why Obama is the right choice for the next US President. She could have stepped over her own pride to say "Yes we can!" instead of "keep going!". She came across presidential and powerful, and gave the impression of being gracious, but with this speech she is keeping the door cracked open for the 2012 election.

I think she could have done a lot more to endorse Obama. Obama will make a fantastic president and I hope he still wins. But he has a lot of work ahead, including to deliver an equally terrific speech on Thursday. And let's not forget Bill's turn is tomorrow.

August 27, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  2. Matt MC

Thanks Hillary, now enough foolishness, vote for issues, vote for content, vote for change. Go Dems. Go Obama.

August 27, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  3. Joseph Hartman

I'm an Obama supporter who is disappointed that Hillary will not be part of the ticket. I have to say that unfortunately the democratic primary was way too negative to have expected an Obama-Clinton ticket. If only the tone of the primary was more positive it would have been a possibility, but by the time we arrived to the point of the Clinton concession the party was deeply divided.

I truley hope the those Clinton supporters above think of our young men and women in uniform who have been committed to serve and many to die as well as the price of fossil fuels before they say they are "willing to wait" another 4 years. Are you willing to personally go FIGHT another useless war and maybe die? Are you willing to squander most of what you make just to get to work? Lets not be hateful in our choices America. Lets choose the party that can best "heal" our wounded country.

Obama/Biden '08

August 27, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  4. Hil4Prez

No more republicans disguising themselves as anti Obama supporters. I have to admit and I am convinced that's it's not about Hillary anymore, it's about our country. If we remain optimistic, we can still see her run in 2016..

As far as this former Puma is concerned... I think I have to vote for Obama, I just couldn't see myself voting for four more years of the same ole, same ole

August 27, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  5. Kathy

How on earth could you believe what Michelle and Hillary said? They are both there solely to create an image that is acceptable to voters-their socialist plans do not fly, so they say and do what is necessary to "become" who voters want them to be.

August 27, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  6. cnewell

Great lady, Great speech. I had hoped to support her as canidate for pres but I will gladly support her choice. It is our only hope of more years of the McSame.

August 27, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  7. Peter Johnson-Johnson

I honestly didn't think I'd ever see the day that Democrats would be bad-mouthing their candidate and threatening to vote Republican in protest. Do you really want to hand the reins over to McCain for 4 years? You're taking one big risk there... letting a guy who's senile 50% of the time and downright psychotic the other 50% of the time run the show for the next four years will be much more dangerous than you're anticipating.

PLEASE do the right thing here. Don't let your hurt feelings and bruised egos get in the way of what should be an easy decision. With Obama in the White House, at the very least there will still be a United States in 2012!

August 27, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  8. Get Over It

I'm in disbelief that there are some who plan on voting for McCain now, in the hopes that he'll be so bad for America that we'll vote for a Dem in 2012 and Hillary will have another shot. Some Hillary supporters, desperately clinging to a campaign that is over, are willing to risk more of the miserable same, just so that the person who defeated her can't get elected. I suspect that closet racism is a factor here. There's no other explanation for the irrational behavior.

August 27, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  9. The Shame Of It All

She did exactly what she wanted to do. Shame Barry.

Everyone says she gave a great speech and that he should be elected. That makes no sense. Barry is a dufuss, plain and simple. Her speech was designed to show that. She has the ability to give a great speech and more so than Barry.

The surprise comes tomorrow. Bill is all about Bill and that is never going to change.

I also will never understand how Barry can say anything about being a Christian when he believes so radically about the murder of the innocents. Of course some of the less knowledgeable will want to say that President Bush has murdered our honorable men and women in Iraq. Not so. These brave men and women volunteered to serve this country knowing the risk. Refusing to grant medical help to a child outside the womb is infanticide ... and that is what Barry supported in his own words.

The party has not yet begun. Hang on while more of the truth of the racist, radical, prejudice , marxist, socialist, Barry are brought to light. And then there's the debates! He will look like a whipped puppy!

I, nor do I believe America, would have no problem with a black man for President. Just not THIS black man. I don't think that America would have any problem with a woman for President. just not this woman. Give me Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Clarence Thomas, or many others.

But please, give me a leader who understands that what I want I can get for myself. I don't need a government that takes from anyone to give to someone else. Charity begins at home, as it should. That is not what the government is for. When the government acts like Peter Pan then it's called socialism.

No BO, No Joe, No Way!!!

August 27, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  10. Hank B.

Jeez, you PUMA's are retarded. You don't deserve the right to vote. You're neutering America!

August 27, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  11. atlantan

Senator Clinton, I am disappointed. Sound like a great stump speech but your campaigned was not initially about woman rights and in your heart you want McCain so you can be there in 2012. I truly believe this but I am united with all Democrats including you.
    I just did not feel you and I tried.

August 27, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  12. Terry, NJ

Her speech tonight only reaffirmed that the wrong person was chosen as the nominee. The winner only to be the loser in November. Now more than ever I know that I will NOT vote for Obama. Hillary is so much smarter than he is. Sorry Hillary, but I'm an American before I belong to any party and I simply cannot vote for what I consider the Democrats version of what Bush was 8 yrs ago: Inexperienced, arrogant, and out of touch with the realities of how the world works...

August 27, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  13. Restless

I am an Obama supporter, and have been critical of Hillary during this campaign, but she delivered a home run of a speech tonight. She drilled down to the correct issues, and why it is imperative for us to elect Obama in November. And she did it while standing tall and proud of her accomplishments. She did an outstanding job.

August 27, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  14. danny lopez

Sen. Clinton gave a great speech and said everything she needed to say to help Sen. Obama. But I can't for the life of me see why he wouldn't pick her for his running mate. I support Sen. Clinton, and will continue to support her. I feel Sen. Obama should have made her his V.P selection. I ran for Office of Mayor of Denver and received close to 10,000 votes 12.5% of the vote against a very popular John Hickenlopper. I will not endorse Sen. Obama. I think he showed poor judgment in not selecting her, he would of slam dunked the election with her on the ticket. Does he really want to win or not? He has denied the American Public it's First Black President. he also denied the People their First Female Vice President. If and I hope he does manage to win by the skin of John McCain's chinny chin chin, he will do it with out my endorsement.

Danny F Lopez
    A proud Democrat
    A proud Teamster
    A Proud Hillary Supporter

August 27, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  15. Emeth V.

Of course it was a good speech. Hillary needs the Democratic Party as much as the Democratic Party needs Hillary. They cannot afford to offend each other.

August 27, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  16. KL

Hillary is now in the driver's seat and will say and do whatever it takes to become the next Sec. of State or whatever "job" she wants.

August 27, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  17. M GREEN

I am a Hillary supporter. I was a proud Hillary supporter before the primaries, after the primaries, now and I am quite confident I will continue to support her. Everyone, that's asking for this soul searching needs to understand that a lot of our younger Obama supporter s were introduced to Hillary through the eyes and mouths of the slanted media and some insidious force inside the democratic leadership. She has done her part and with more grace than anyone of us who lost to someone else could ever dig in our gut to come up with. She supports him in the name of the democratic party and to ask her to perform for him to the point she throws herself under the bus is just a bit much. The pundits are already saying she needs to promote him as commander in chief. This one is on Obama. Hillary, you continue to amaze me and I am missing you already.

August 27, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  18. sandy

She made me think. She was awsome! I will now vote for Barack Obama, thanks to her.

August 27, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  19. Restless

Seeing the article about Rudy saying Hillary should have been the VP pick (as if we should care about Rudy's opinion on this), and then seeing the unrepenting PUMA posts here, is just further proof that most of what you see as angry Hillary supporters are just Republicans trying to stir up divisions amongst the Democrats. If you are a Hillary supporter, than just follow Hillary's words, and not all the other supposed Hillary supporters you hear casting words of dissention.

August 27, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  20. JULIESCHACK

MICHELLE AND HILLARY BOTH GAVE A GOOD SPEECH HOWEVER, WHAT SPOILS THE END RESULT AND THE INTEGRITY OF OUR NATION IS THE MEDIA EXPLOITING THE VIEWS OF CELEBRITIES SUCH AS MADONNA. HAVE THE MEDIA NOTHING NOTHING MORE TO EXPLORE HERE? A LARGE PERCENTAGE OF CELEBRITIES DO NOT LIVE IN THE U.S.. FULL TIME AS I DO. THEY ALSO SHIELD THEIR CHILDREN FROM TELEVISION AND MOVIES. (THE VERY FOUNDATION THEY WREAP THEIR INCOME FROM). I DON'T HAVE THE LUXURY OF THEIR INCOME AND I CHOOSE TO LIVE HERE IN THE U.S. HOWEVER, EVERYTHING I SEE ON T.V. IS WELL RESEARCHED, WRITTEN BY A PRO AND SOLD TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC IN HOPES IT MAY WIN VOTES. THE ONLY PERSON THAT HAS CAPTIVATED MY ATTENTION AS A MIDDLE INCOME MOTHER OF TWO, HAS BEEN CONDLEEZA RICE. SHE IS INTELLIGENT, I UNDERSTAND HER WHEN SHE SPEAKS, SHE DOESN'T SPEAK OUT OF BOTH SIDES OF HER MOUTH, SHE SIMPLY STATES THE FACTS. FORGET THE HOLLYWOOD CRAP MEDIA. IT WON'T WORK IN THIS ELECTION.

August 27, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  21. steve

i cant believe how pathetic these hillary supporters are. if you love this woman so much, and you believe in her and her ideas and beliefs, how can you listen to such a beautiful speech in which she pleads with her supporters to vote for Barack and then not go and do that? Is that not illogical? You support this woman so hardcore, yet she asks you to do something, and you refuse, and you actually do the exact opposite and claim you will vote for McCain. I don't know if i am missing something but i just do not understand it.

August 27, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  22. Olivier

I am not a fan of Clinton but I thought the speech was right on. Great woman for this country and I also think she will play a major role in an Obama administration. I see her Secretary of State or in charge of a major effort on health care.

August 27, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  23. PUMA4OBAMA

I am sold. Sorry fellow PUMA'S this too important for me to sit in. I watched it with 5 other PUMA members and we all were in tears. NO WAY NO MCCAIN!!!!!

August 27, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  24. Same old politics... from BOTH SIDES

I'm impressed with the originality and creativity in these responses...

August 27, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  25. Gary

Apparently, her speech went right over the PUMA's heads.

Besides, she is not the Clinton I'm worried about.

August 27, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |