August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. Betty Marinoni

I am so proud to be an American, a woman, and a supporter of Hillary Clinton who secured my vote for Barack Obama tonight. She reminded me of something I needed to hear....this was NOT about her but about the people she shared with us in her powerful speech. She was quite simply phenomenal!!! Now it is time for Obama to pick up the torch she has lit for him and win this election. It is a must for the future of our Country and my young grandchildren. Thank you Hillary for helping me through this decision on who to vote for....No way MCCain.

August 27, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  2. Jackie Secor

As a Hillary Clinton supporter, I will vote for Barack Obama because I'm a team player and I just believe that a Democrat has a better chance of getting our country back on track.

Regarding Hillary Clinton's speech, Obama and Biden have their work cut out for them as she set the bar very high. While watching her speak, I couldn't help but wonder...what might have been...I saw a President speak tonight.

August 27, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  3. Jon

She gave a good speech, but notice the focus was mainly on herself. Her endorsement of Obama was pretty generic...could have substituted any Democrat's name for his if the situation called for it.

But I disagree about Michelle being "authentic." it was pretty obvious she was "toning it down," keeping herself in check. Just compare it to her other speeches over the last year.

August 27, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  4. CAW in MD

For susan - what exactly are you wanting Obama to do to get your vote? It's not enough that his policies are similar to Hillary's policies? It's not enough that he's been in public service longer than Hillary? It's not enough that he gave Bill and Hillary prime speech spots during the convention?

This is really not that hard of a problem. If you are an issues voter and Hillary was your first choice, than Obama has to be your pick. If you're an experience voter, you should have picked McCain in the first place (even though the experience argument is a red herring that just won't die). If you're a Democrat, then you should pick Obama.

I truly don't understand the logic.

August 27, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  5. EJ

That was a very important question. We as Americans must understand what's at stake in the election. McCain and Bush are one in the same. Let's move the country forward. Democrats, Republicans and Independent must remember that the failed Bush policies hurt us all.

August 27, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  6. LINDA HOLSHOUSER

I AM ONE OF THE VOTERS THAT IS UN-DECIDED ON WHAT TO DO COME NOVEMBER BUT AFTER HEARING HILLARY TONIGHT MADE ME REALIZE THAT IF I WANT TO SEE A REAL CHANGE IS TO VOTE FOR OBAMA. I THINK UN-DECIDED VOTERS NEEDS TO HEAR FROM OBAMA IS I WILL HAVE A PLACE FOR HILLARY CLINTON TO HELP REPAIR AND CHANGE OUR BROKEN GOVERNMENT FOR ALL PEOPLE IN OUR GREAT COUNTRY.

August 27, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  7. Remy

Hillary is now part of the democratic team to defeat McCain! If some of the Hillary supporters cry to vote Mccain, they are really JUDAS and not democrats!

Thank you Hillary for the speech you made in support of Obama!

August 27, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  8. Ivy

I wonder how many people who voted for Obama because of his "star' power are regretting at this very moment... That they did not see through the media bias and picked the better candidate.

Hillary for President will/should/must happen!!!

August 27, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  9. La Raza

Goodbye Republicans, goodbye Puma, Hello Whitehouse, Hello Obama! I am finally proud to be an American!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 27, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  10. lil

Good speech,

August 27, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  11. Tish,NC

Ah..duh?? David Gergen did ask a question? I see no one has yet to answer it! To all you so called PUMAS(undercover McCain Supporters) and the rest of you so called bunch of babies!! Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe Sen. Obama did ask Sen. Clinton to be his VP and maybe she declined because she didn't want to go through the vetting process since it would have to also bring in all of Bill's skeletons?? I have great respect for Sen. Clinton, I don't think she is fake or phony! I think she is one smart lady! If she didn't believe what she was saying she wouldn't have gotten up there and spoken up for him like she did! This was a great moment for her she didn't loose anything! Everything in this life happens for a reason. She was great! I know the Obama family was happy she spoke out for them so rather than to act like children and Fox News I choose to take the high road like the Obamas and KEEP GOING!!!! Can't wait til Thursday!! History in the making Baby!!!!

Obama/Biden/AMERICAN PEOPLE

August 27, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  12. Beth from Wisconsin

It was necessary for Senator Clinton to address her supporters in the context of her question "....did you do it for me, or ...?" That was the best way she could have addressed them. It was realistic. It was honest and it has to make them get real about the importance of their vote for Senator Obama, appreciate her great efforts, and move on
    TOGETHER.

I was extremely impressed with her speech and words of wisdom. She was gracious and took the high road, which in the end game, is the wisest path to choose. She is truly a beacon of hope for all Americans and an ally to Senator Obama. Brilliant speech, from a respected and tremendous role model.

August 27, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  13. KAMI IN CHANDLER

GREAT SPEACH HILLARY, I AM VERY IMPRESSED!!! Now for those of you who are still saying Hillary 2012, you are not a real democrat, and do not care about what Hillary adn Obama are trying to change in America.

If you wait unitl 2012 it will be to late, there will already be 3 new extreme conservitive supreme court justices in place and thats a life postion. Kiss all your womens rights away for the next 30 years or longer. Rove V Wade will no longer be in place!

Remember McCain is AGAINST womens rights!!!!!!

Obama/ Biden for the future of our children!!!

August 27, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  14. Mattia

Hello everyone! Let's review the main point of her speech: VOTE FOR OBAMA. Period. The end. That's all you have to do now to better our country and further her ideals. Doesn't get much easier than that.

August 27, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  15. glad2bindie

Hillary would have been a great adversary to the equally feisty John McCain - Obama is the wimpy one.

August 27, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  16. TEBA

At first I supported Hillary but lost respect after she made personal attacks and insinuations against Obama. Unlike Hillary and McCain, Obama has never made personal attacks and lied about the other candidates, only urged change and prosperity for this country. More people are engaging in the political process bc of Obama, not Hillary. Half of Hillary supporters voted bc she's a female and half bc she's white. People are afraid of what they don't understand. Michelle has never acted like an angry woman, only a woman with a voice – the same as Hillary when her husband ran for office.

Hillary would have been the wrong VP choice. Her speech was just OK. As a female, I believe it shows a weakness and cry-baby mentality to not let go of the fact that Hillary lost just as other men have lost the battle. Get over it and move on to support someone who have sparked hope for this country.

Only 2% of the nation who make $5 million or more (who McCain would consider rich) should vote for him bc they are the only ones who would benefit from his viewpoints. He doesn't relate to 98% of Americans but folks want to vote for him bc he's an old white man who was a POW but realize that 98% of the nation working is what will strengthen this economy?

August 27, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  17. Jeff, South Bend, IN

Patricia said: "THERE IS NO QUESTION – HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON DESERVED THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINATION FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES."

Maybe, except for the fact that she LOST the Democratic nomination, she ran a terrible, fractured, completely disorganized campaign, she got caught flat out lying multiple times ON TAPE, repeatedly injected race into the campaign, has completely mis-managed her two major political efforts – health care reform, and her presidential campaign and 49% of the country says they would never vote for her. What exactly is she qualified to lead?

August 27, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  18. Strong Mom for McCain

My candidate will know whom he/she is. Hillary knows who she is and I voted for her in the primaries. I can't figure out if B.O. even knows who he is. I sure haven't figured it out. Unlike what Michelle Obama said last night, he doesn't stick to his word. ie. public financing flip-flop. He has voted "present" so much in his SHORT time in the Senate, I can't figure out what he really believes in.

Hillary is sincere in her desire for a strong America. Barack just seems to be sincere in his love for power. I don't trust him. He says what he needs to say and, yet, there is no substance.

I said my candidate will know whom he/she is. I voted for Hillary in the primaries and will vote for McCain in the fall. I trust him far greater than I trust Obama and believe he knows what he stands for.

August 27, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  19. concern

Excellent job!!! I am proud to be a woman and African American. This party did something that brought recognition to the world. A Woman and a Black man ran for the highest office of rhe country. It was a hard battle but they both went farther than expected. True a man received the highest votes again but he still has a obstacle to cross, COLOR OF SKIN. Hillary speech put the U.S. on notice that we live for the people, we claim to be and care about. She set a precedent that eventually a woman will get the opportunity but sometimes we must accomplish the simplest first and then the hardest. Women are seen as too soft not able to stay the course. Let make the change she requested and when that dream happens then let's go for the next impossible dream. History gives us the guidance to achieve things that come unfortunately within a certain order. Thank you Hillary for a new beginning and a "future " to believe.

August 27, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  20. John, PA

As a proud PUMA member I will proudly vote for what my candidate has been fighting for.

Go Obama! We are behind you. We will not be influenced by negative attacks on hope and peace.

August 27, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  21. Dave Froyalde/Washington

Excellent speech. Senator Clinton sends a strong message to all that she is a strong leader and capable of becoming the president of this country.

August 27, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  22. larry

How awesome was her speach I've changed my mind I will vote for her in 2016! She said everything we needed her to. Tomorrow Bill will deliever a great speech I'm sure now! Thank you very much Bill and Hillary!

Teamsters for Obamaa

August 27, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  23. Mike

What's with all the criticism of CNN. I truly don't see the bias.
    Can't say the same about MSNBC. Chris Matthews ("Barack sends
    shivers up my leg") and Rachel M? might as well put Obama buttons on.

August 27, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  24. Casey - Missouri

I'm in it for the issues! What a speech... No HOW, No WAY, No McCain!

She asked why and said if you are in it for the real reasons, you'll vote Obama.

That's my plan. Obama/Biden!

August 27, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  25. michelle

Hillary was amazing! She knocked the ball out of the park. I have been a supporter of her and Obama. I'm delighted to be witnessing history and the beginning of a better future of us all.

August 27, 2008 12:22 am at 12:22 am |