August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. EWB from SLC

A bases loaded home run. If there really was a chance of Hillary supporters defecting to McCain...and I think it was all media driven drivel...this certainly dispels it.

August 27, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  2. Troy

Listen up PUMAs and/or Republicans trolling as Hillary-supporting McCain voters. If you want Clinton to win in 2012, you better pray Obama wins in 2008. Here's why: if an Obama loss has the Clintons' (and your) fingerprints on it, you can BET there will be some people just as small-minded and selfish waiting to do the same thing to you. The Clinton flu will be alive and well. Elections are ultra tight these days. Every vote counts, and you'll find out just how much they are worth if and when Clinton gets her chance again.

August 27, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  3. NG in DC

I'm at a total loss now. Listen to Hillary and do what she asks.

Or listen to my heart, and know she's the best opportunity for this country's future - and wait 4 years ...

August 27, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  4. Beverly, Boston

A great speech by a great leader with great ideas and the capability to get it done. No way no how VP should be Joe Biden the mental lightweight and cheater. Obama did not show leadership or respect for the American people or independence when he selected a typical Democratic lifer white male above HRC. That's not change I can believe in. The "They'll take what we give them" attitude is arrogant and lacks good judgement. If the ticket loses, it is because they will have defeated themselves, with the help of the neophyte-led DNC and Uncle Teddy. Hillary was gracious but honest, affirmative, visionary, and left no doubt about her comprehension of the importance of history, her beliefs and convictions. Well done. No one can do it better. Just say no deal.

August 27, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  5. B. Long

Hillary did a great job! But, I am still convinced she would definitely lose to McCain. Whether it is fair or not her negatives are too high.

I work with 3 people in my team that are undecided about Obama but all of them said it would be McCain or they wouldn't vote at all if it were Hillary. Hillary will also lose in 2012 if she runs then.

We don't need Bush Clinton Bush Clinton. Can you imagine 4-8 years of "Is Bill sleeping in the White House? Is he sleeping with Hillary? Is Monica invited to the Inaugural? We don't need 4-8 more years of 'triangulation'.

August 27, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  6. Luke

Although some may think this is a small criticism of Clinton's speech, I was dismayed when she recognized the deaths of 2 important Democrats and left off Rep. Tom Lantos – the chair of the House Foreign Affairs committee, the only Holocaust survivor to serve in Congress, and a long time champion of human rights.

August 27, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  7. Kona Mike

GEEZ....Gergen has sold his soul and his objectivity right there with MSNBC. Hillary's speech left many unanswered questions and it was hardly a ringing endorsement. If I was a Clinton delegate....I'd feel rather unfullfilled and empty...bearing a heavy and unexplainable burden.

August 27, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  8. Troy

Oh, and Hillary's speech was really awesome.

August 27, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  9. JOHN

I GUESS SOME OF YOU PEOPLE DIDN'T LISTEN TO HER SPEECH. TO HELL WITH PUMA, THE DEMS ARE UNITED. THANK YOU SENATOR CLINTON.

August 27, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  10. B. Hawkins

If you are for Hillary you'll support Obama and the Democratic Party as she has asked. If you are not then vote for McCain and get out of her way. Get out of the way of her vision for the women of America.NO WAY, NO HOW ,NO MC CAIN .

August 27, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  11. Emily

OK, but who was the idiot commentator that kept talking about Hillary throwing down the "Goblet?" Umm... yeah. Go CNN.

But Hillary rocked. Ah what could have been... sigh... go obama...

August 27, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  12. American

POW !!! TAKE THAT PUMAS…..LOL

Great speech Mrs. Clinton…..Bravo!

Democrats Unite!

No way……No how…..No McCain!

Thank you Hillary.

Obama/Biden '08!

August 27, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  13. Remy

Hillary answered those questions by asking to support Obama/Biden. Period!

August 27, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  14. Katie - Atlanta

That was a fantastic speech tonight. I am so proud of her! This our time to unite.

No way. No How. No McCain!!!

Obama/Biden '08

August 27, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  15. Chloe

PUMAs deserve what they will get by voting for McCain if he gets in. The rest of us don't.

August 27, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  16. Jenny

Hillary asked "Were you in this campaign just for me?". The answer is No. I am in this campaign for my own future and for my country's future. For this reason, I will not put my future and my country's future in Obama's hands.

Hillary 2012!

August 27, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  17. kww

Ok, Pumas, if you still want to vote for McCain after Hillary's speech, it'll be the last vote you ever get to cast. After 4 more years of Bush policies if McSame wins, our wonderful country will be a full-fledged fascist police state.

THERE WON'T BE ANY MORE ELECTIONS !!!

August 27, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  18. So Cal Gal

Hillary was FANTASTIC!!

August 27, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  19. John from LA

BUYERS REMORSE!!!!-DNC "Selected" the wrong candidate-too bad for Dems this year!!!-She knocked it out of the park-BO will just always give speeches-she always gives specifics.

NOBAMA!!!

August 27, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  20. would you?

she did great

August 27, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  21. cph9680

Repeal the 19th Amendment!
    If a woman can't vote intelligently, she shouldn't vote at all!

August 27, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  22. Andy_4_Hillary_Only

Let's be very clear here. Hillary Clintion is the one that we need as our President. This is my cry out for all you ardent Hillary supporters. If you want Hillary to be your President in 2012, vote for John Mccain. Obama must lose if you want Hillary as our next president sooner rather than later.

Ask yourself this question: Do you want to wait 4 years or 8 for Hillary to be our inspirational leader? If your answer is 8, it may not even happen then. We can get Hillary elected in 2012 provided we get Mccain elected now.

August 27, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  23. DemoUnited

I'm truly wondering if Republicans are commenting and pretending to be PUMA supporters, really wouldn't surprise me. How could you not listen to your candidate and NOT VOTE for OBAMA, who she endorses? How could you NOT VOTE for OBAMA who has the same values as the candidate you love? How could you VOTE for MCCAIN who is totally opposite in values and wishes to have the same eight years of debt and destruction of our economy? Some of you have been saying you want to VOTE for MCCAIN to see Hillary in 2012. Well if you want to DESTROY our country to GET HILLARY IN OFFICE, you are DREAMING/RETARDED.

August 27, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  24. Lance

After reading some of the positive Hillary supporter comments on here, I'm greatful to them for their help in electing Senator Obama.

After reading some of the negative comments from Hillary supporters on here, I'm absolutely, positively convinced they're not, at least for the most part, real comments. They're plants. They're mean spirited REPUBLICAN GOP McSame plants trying to stir up trouble. Its so blatantly obvious.

How could anyone with a rational mind listen to Hillary's speech tonight and still say, I'm gonna vote for McCain because I love Hillary and she was wronged.

If you vote for McCain, you vote against everything Hillary Clinton has stood for her entire life, every breath that she's given to this great nation. You vote against all the blood and sweat and tears that have been put into building this nation up. You say you'd rather tear it down out of spite than see it live to be great again, to be the shining beacon on a hill that the Clintons' once invisioned and helped to build up.

Barack Obama represents a fresh path forward. He represents greatness that we were once and will be again. He represents exactly Hillary Clinton's ideals. That's what she said tonight.

NO way, No how, No McCain.

He's a sidekick not a maverick. Barack Obama's the real deal, just like Hillary Clinton.

August 27, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  25. CTP

Excellent job, Hillary. Thank you for doing your part for the Democratic Party and for the future of the United States of America. We will take this country back from those who have sought to destroy it over the last 8 years, and from those who attempt to maintain this disaster. We are who we've been waiting for. YES WE CAN and YES WE WILL!!!

Obama/Biden '08!!!