August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. PUMA4OBAMA

Ap News...
    Just after Senator Hillary Clinton's speech several hundred animals (trolls) were found dead on the streets on Denver. After CSI secured the scene it has been determined that these were actually PUMA'S which had been trying to cause chaos in Denver. The most amazing discovery was that they all had name tags with an address that has initials JSM. The Police were excited that someone had taken care of their problem. The coroner said that it looked like they died from internal combustion.

August 27, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  2. Obama/Biden Fan 2008 from NE

PUMA WON'T LISTEN TO ME EITHER PROBABLY SINCE THEY WON'T EVEN LISTEN TO THEIR CANDIDATE....

August 27, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  3. EX-PUMA

PUMAS are blind! Hillary was great tonite. She didnt lose her campain because she was a woman, she lost because of a few mistakes that she made in the process. She said it best tonite, if you like whats been going on the last 8 years, vote McCain. If not then its time to say : "NO WAY! . . . NO HOW!. . . NO MCCAIN!"

Great Job Hillary...i'm a PUMA no more!!!!!!!

Obama/Biden! :)

August 27, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  4. Bob

I respect her again and as I said all along, she would make a great president, but I beleive that Obama is a better choice.

Still, thank you Hilary for allowing me to feel like I can support both of you again. You had lost me for a while.

August 27, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  5. Frank (Nebraska Vets For Obama)

You Hillary supporters who continue to say you're going to vote for McCain so that Hillary can win in 2012 are delusional. You think 18 million Barack Obama supporters are going to forget about what you did in 4 years? I think not...If you don't get behind Barack this year, Hillary will never win...

August 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  6. Surge

I'll never forget the way she was disrespected by Obama and his supporters.

August 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  7. Get Over It Already

Get over it already....do you really think that McCain is a better choice just so you can elect Hillary in 2012? Are you completely crazy? No wonder Bush got elected twice...Hillary was fantastic tonight and I am very proud of her speech tonight, but for those of you who are so ticked off that you will vote for McCain instead of Obama..get a clue. If you are that foolish enough to have another 4 years of Bush policy, then you don't belong in the Democratic party.....remember what Democratic stands for....you vote....and who receives the most votes wins....end of story ...that's why its so important to stick together...if not...go register as a Republican because in essence, that is what you now are. We've always complained of all the radical Republicans who are so stuck on their core principals that they won't listen to anything else......take a look in the mirror people....do you want a better future or the same as the past 8 years? Grow up people....no wonder we haven't been able to win the White House....I voted for Hillary as well, but Obama will be a great president too....do you not think that Hillary will not have a primary role in his Administration? Won't that help her in the future too? And to those who say Obama is selfish for continuing his presidency instead of settling for the VP position......look again in the mirror....is it not you who are now the selfish ones? Grow up....and get over it....if McCain wins, and this country goes deeper in debt and no clear energy plans....only you will be to blame....can you live with that?

August 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  8. Robert Bateman

Hillary's performance was the equivalent of crossing the T, Lord Nelson style. She let McBush have it. And she also let the Democrats know they cannot afford to sit this one out, there won't be enough of America left after 4 more years of the last 8 years to put it back together again.
    She can have any cabinet position she wants.
    This is your last chance, America, you won't get another one.

August 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  9. Deanna Woodham

Senator Clinton delivered an authentic, outstanding speech of support for Senator Barack Obama. I do believe that it was the best I have ever heard.

August 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  10. Jim C

Anna Rose,
    You are so right! Clinton will become Secretary of State. I actually think Obama will wait to perfectly time it shortly after (perhaps 2 weeks) the Republican Convention to squash any bounce the Republicans get out of their Convention. He will most definitely make the announcement before the election if he's anywhere close to losing the election.

The speech was without a doubt the best she's given (and she's given many A speeches). It did everything it was intended to do. But if there was one small drawback or criticism to make, it was that it was so good and so presidential that it really makes many supporters (and I think even Obama supporters) sit back, scratch their head and wonder why she's not either the candidate for president or at the very least Obama's VP candidate.

August 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  11. Lance

If you can't see that somebody out there is trying to stir up trouble between the Clintons and the Obamas when there is none, you're blind.

They take every word the Clintons say, ever action Bill Clinton makes, and they try to turn it into some dramatic deal. Someone's screwing with your head because they think they can manipulate you into voting for McCain out of spite. Hopefully we're all not that stupid and we see through the GOP controlled media's attempts to create bad blood out of sweat and hard work.

August 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  12. Franklin Katunda, an Obama Surrogate

Go OBAMA-BIDEN 08',

Thank you HILLARY CLINTON... the Country first, and for the Party's sake, we all are winners tonight.

No Way, No How, No McCain !!!!

August 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  13. JFK

GREATEST SPEECH she has given yet! Anybody with negative comments are just completely out of touch with reality and/or a Republican.

August 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  14. Jayson

I totally agree with Mr. Gergen. She did the right thing and gave an excellent speech.

August 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  15. McCane Straight Lies

NO WAY .. NO HOW P.U.M.A...!

Planted Undercover McCane Agents

NO WAY .. NO HOW Mc Pain..!

August 27, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  16. rosario

Hillary delievered a wonderful speech. She showed how brilliant she is. It is a shame that she is not the nominee. And even though she gave the speech for Obama, I regardless will not vote for him. I will cross party lines and vote republican. Obama is too inexperienced and makes too many promises. He preaches change but has no clue on how to implement anything. Even his choice for VP outshines him in his knowledge of world politics and finances. I cant believe that people could even consider him when he hasn't even done anything substantial. Vote for MCCain and Hillary 2012

August 27, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  17. GB

Thank you, Hillary! Obama '08 and Clinton '16

August 27, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  18. Fred from California

I have been an ardent support of Obama all along and I was really ticked off when Hilary took a nasty negative turn mid way though her campaign and I became dead against Hilary, but after listening to her speech tonight, Hilary is my Hero again to the degree that I am going to her web site and contribute to retire her debt. I am proud of Hilary and I am proud to be a Democrats.

August 27, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  19. SHAWN

WHY DON'T SOME OF YOU HILLARY SUPPORTERS JUST ADMIT THAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO VOTE FOR A BLACK MAN, BE HONEST WITH YOURSELVES. HILLARY AND OBAMA PRETTY MUCH HAVE THE SAME POLICIES, BUT YOUR SO QUICK TO THROW YOUR VOTE TO MCCAIN BECAUSE SHE IS NOT ON THE TICKET AS VP. IT'S ALSO A SHAME THAT SOME OF YOU WANT MCCAIN TO WIN SO HILLARY CAN RUN IN 2012..

August 27, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  20. Janet

The Hillary Clinton you all saw tonight is the same Hillary Clinton that we, as her supporters, knew all along. It's genuinely sad that the best person to be President delivered her speech tonight and won't be on Thursday night.

August 27, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  21. Angelique from Michigan

Since this race started I have been a Hillary supporter.
    Now because of Hillary I will and now support Obama.
    The only reason she is being spoken about is the ill will
    that people feel because of her greatness.

August 27, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  22. Military Man

It's funny to watch the same Obama supporters now saying what a great person she was ... when just yesterday they were talking about what a joke she was.

Wishy-washy fair weather friend much?

August 27, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  23. Kimberly

No Way, No How, No McCain!

Thats all I have to say!

August 27, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  24. Mark, B'ham., Al.

The deal is probably worse such as the SUpreme Court so she can "Legislate from the Bench" for life. She did give a great laundry list speech which is what the delegates at the convention want!

August 27, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  25. Amius

Senator Clinton, whom I supported financially and with my vote in the primary, was the one person who could convince me to vote for Senator Obama. After he speech tonight, I have made up my mind to vote for him in November. It was a superb speech, with exactly the right tone, spoken to those of us who weren't in the room but who were with her in the primary season. It was an extraordinary speech as well. Having watched conventions since 1952, I have never seen a defeated opponent give such a speech. She has opened a door for Obama. It is now up to him to go through it and on to victory in the general election.

August 27, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |