August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. mary

I'm in this for my country...thus, McCain 08!
    Hillary 2012
    Obama NEVER

August 26, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  2. Eric De La Torre

I'm in this for Hillary because of what she stands for, and for what she can accomplish and for what she has accomplished. That is why I support her 100%. I am not going to fall inline because its the trendy thing to do, I am going to vote and support whom I feel is right for the toughest job in the world. Hillary 2012!

August 26, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  3. Obama For President/Biden For Vice President

Thank You Hillary it was a MOVING speech. Thanks for the line :NO WAY, NO HOW, NO MCCAIN

August 26, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  4. KG

Hillary still should be the nominee, SHE has it , HE don't!!!! No change to oboma here. Democrate for McCain the suit with someone in it.

August 26, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  5. LT for Obama

For all of you so called Hillary supporters who are plotting for her to run for 2012 but not voting for Barack now, you are not true Hillary supporters at all.

Do you not realize the damage that four more years of failed policies and a war hungry McCain can do? Consider the state of our country now and just how fast Bush blew through our surplus and rushed into a war that should never have happened. Consider the fact that our military is already stretched thin yet McCain continues to antagonize our enemies. Consider the fact that he is guaranteeing more jobs leaving and offering the rich and big business more tax incentives while offering nothing to the rest of us.

I hope you all wake up soon and realize that your lives will not be your own if you continue on this path that even Hillary does not want you on.

August 26, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  6. Tim N.

The Democrats took the tougher road here. Hillary would've easily won the general election. Now, they're in a real fight.

Her speech was excellent…for her benefit…she never implored her ardent supporters to really put their weight behind Obama. She said she supports him but didn't put her full force behind him.

August 26, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  7. tedious898

Fantastic speech! Let's see what happens from here. This appears to be the tonic democrats needed. We close ranks and beat the pants off these republicans

August 26, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  8. melaniebartlett

im a Canadian and i was watching Hillary clintons speech and she was absolutely wonderful she was perfect she should have been the next president hell if she wants she can come here and be my prime minister lol she was FANTASTIC loved all of it and even brought me to tears that woman is the strongest woman ive ever heard speak...i couldn't get enough of her tonight she was AWESOME....

cnn i hope you post this

August 26, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  9. CAW in MD

Absolutely great speech. This is the kind of unreserved, explicit support that Obama has been looking for from Hillary since she suspended her campaign. Hopefully Bill will do something equally eloquent tomorrow night.

With this speech, the Hillary supporters who will support McCain have no place to hide - Hillary called 'em out. We'll see where it goes from here.

10. Becky, Midwest

HIllary's finest hour should have been when she accepted the nomination of democratic party. It's too bad. She just proved why she should be the nominee. Too bad Obama with absolutely no accomplishment, no substance, was shoved down our throats.

Hillary showed style, substance, grit. She's got guts and character to even be here. It's up to Obama to win or lose. Stop blaming Hillary and her supporters. The ball has always been in his court. His disrespect for Hillary, last Senator and FIrst Lady, and Bill as President is astounding.

11. L VA

That was Hillary at her very best. It was a sad day for America when the DNC and MSM decided that BHO should be our next president. Hillary is and was the only hope for the Democractic Party this year. She is a bright light that has been dimmed, but not extinguished! God speed Hillary!

12. Janet

Great speech Hillary, beautifully done. That's my girl!!

Obama made a BIG BIG MISTAKE she should of been on his ticket. It would of been unstopable..

13. Crunch Hardtack

I've been critical and wary of Senator Clinton since late in primaries, but this speech tonight was perfect. The tone, the message, the delivery were all top-notch.

Excuse my cynicism, but let's see how long it takes the talking heads to rip it to shreds...

14. Amy

She was brilliant. And I can't stand her. And Bill – am i the only one who wants to smack that fake grin off his red face?

15. No Way, No How, No McCain

I did not support Hillary in the primaries, but this was the best speech she's given through the last 18+ months. Hillary asked those that supported her to vote for something bigger then just her or themselves. To vote for what she stood for and continues to stand for, not just an image of her in office. To bring this country back to it's glory with president Obama and the Democratic family, which obviously includes a big role for her.

I respect her for all she's done and what she's said tonight. This was an amazing speech and continued to show herself as a strong leader. I only hope those people that supported her, and truly are democrats, can be strong enough to follow in her foot steps. Not the footsteps of those that oppose what she has fought for and turn their back on what she feels are the most important issues for this country, in the GOP.

I think you're going to continue seeing amazing closing speeches, from amazing leaders, throughout the DNC (Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, and Barack Obama).

Obama/Biden 08

16. Mark Turansky

Hillary Clinton was gracious, positive, funny, and inspiring. The story about Harriet Tubman pushing freed slaves to keep going, no matter the lights, keep going, no matter what they say, keep going. She keeps going. She's pushing her people to keep going. Good speech.

Vote Obama/Biden in '08.

17. lol

there is no comparison between hillary, and barack. she is experienced, and presidential he has a thin resume and appears as a weak candidate. the superdelegates got this wrong, when they backed obama. hello president mccain, hillary 2012!

18. Voting for Obama

HRC did great. I am so proud of her. You know I am a huge fan of Obama. Honestly I am speechless.Hats off to you Hill

Dems 2008!

Obama/Biden 2008!!

We have to all come together or we are really going to lose this war.

19. Spencer in Cali

Hillary told it like it is!!

NO WAY, NO HOW, NO McSAME!!!

Hillary Voters like me will vote for Obama after that vall to arms!! Bravo Hillary!!

OBAMA 08!!!

20. S. Boatman

I Just Got Some Of That Respect Back That I Had Lost For Hillary! She Gave A Excellent Speech!

21. Penn Voter

Yes, her finest performance. She should get an Oscar. It was almost convencing. However, either she was lying tonight or she was lying during her campaign. She told us Obama's only qualification was that he had written a speech... well nothing has changed and Obama is still not qualified.

22. 'Bama for Obama

Now this is the way it's supposed to be. Dems attacking Repubs. Not each other. Hillary gave a great speech. We may well just pull this thing off.

Obama/Biden 08

23. Mark

David Gergen, I respect you and your opinion. I wish it wasn't tarnished by the slanted coverage CNN has been forcing on us.

24. ABBY

No way. No how. No McCain.

25. hil supporter

Wonderful speech! I'm waiting to hear from Obama. As one of Hillary's 18 million supporters, I would have been nice if Obama could have shown unity and consideration to half the democratic party by selecting Hillary VP- I know my candidate would have shown Obama supporters that consideration and selected Obama for VP if the superdelegates had chosen her for the nomination. I most likely will not vote for Mccain, he needs to win my vote on the issues, not over my feelings of injustice in the primary- I will vote for Obama if he gives the credit to Hillary that she deserves.

August 26, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |