August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. steve

Where do people get off calling Michelle Obama an angry pitbull? She is a beautiful, sweet, gracefull woman and would make a wonderful first lady. Barrack is stately, thoughtful and respectable. Those of you bigots who can't get past the color of their skin, just say so instead of inventing reality. All of you bitter Clinton supporters who say they will vote for McCain should be ashamed of yourselves too. You are all sore sports whose preference did not win, so you take it out on the one who did. Grow up and realize why you are acting this way and stop criticizing a breath of fresh air and supporting the continuation of the downfall of America. Bush/McCain are not good for America. Even a bigot or a sore sport must see that. We are headed for disaster if we continue on this path for four more years.

August 27, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  2. Marcia

It's amazing the double-think that some people are capable of. Here Hillary just gave the speech of her life begging her supporters to elect Obama, and the PUMAS are still ranting about NOBAMA and Hillary '12.

If you really respect Mrs. Clinton, people, you will do what she asks and vote for Obama. McCain believes in no women's rights, no universal healthcare, no aid for veterans, and MORE WAR. Oh, yeah, and more tax cuts for the RICH. WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE THINKING??>

August 27, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  3. jarrod1986

Tonites speach by Hillary was a hit way out of the park. The best speach of the convention by far. I think Hillary just gave Obama the keys to the White House.

August 27, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  4. Steve

PUMA is dead.

Unfortunately, Operation Chaos lives on.

August 27, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  5. vb

NO WAY, NO HOW, NO MCCAIN*

August 27, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  6. Louise

Although Hillary would prefer to be the candidate, she knows what she wants. And that is to spend the next 4 years rebuilding the USA. She wants her supporters to help her get there and the way to do that is to elect Obama. And that's how politics works. Fair enough! I think they'll do it and I think that the team that Hillary, Obama, Biden and the rest build will be the best government the USA has seen in decades – or since the other Clinton! Go dems – America needs all of you.

August 27, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  7. Tony

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    As an Obama supporter, I thought it was wonderful. I am a supporter of the democratic party no matter. I am amazed that Republicans talk about rhetoric when I all hear from them are the talking points that are released from the McCaian campaign. As an organizer for Obama I have signed up for updates form the McCain Campaign, and not to my surprise… it's all lies and rhetoric! Can you believe it? It's the same thing you hear on the news from all Republican strategists. Are you as shocked as I am? Let me tell you this, The army of Obama campaigners are out in force. And there is no McCain personnel in sight!

August 27, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  8. vb

MCCAIN WANTS TO OVERTURN ROE V. WADE...PUMAS DO YOU REALLY WANT THIS?

August 27, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  9. Kathy

why must my comment be in moderation for so long??? it is almost an hour ago – come on hire some moderators cnn!!! My comment from last nignt was still in moderation this morning!! Huff post and politico are much better at getting posted!! hope this one doesn't get lost in moderation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 27, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  10. rainbowgirl

Robert, you said:

I am an Obama supporter who is excited to make a contribution to Hillary tonight for retiring her debt, and would support her in 2016 happily. She knocked it out of the park, and convinced my PUMA family members (3) that she really does want him to win. Thank you for working to unite the party and help us defeat McCain, who is more of the same.

**********************
    One House, One Spouse
    Obama/Biden 2008
    **********************

THANK YOU!!! I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER!! I hope the PUMAs don't ruin this country with their spiteful vote for a candidate they don't agree with (McCain).

We Love you Hillary!

August 27, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  11. Steve

Gergen,
    Obama has lost it. It's ok. You can now support McCain who you supported on the GOP side during the primaries. This will be a good lesson for you people in the dinosaur media.

August 27, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  12. Christina Ivazes

The many words between Hillary's lines proved tonight that she is not a happy camper, but a lukewarm supporter that could not offer up enough sincerity for anything but her own 'reasons for running for president', lest we forget her real intentions for speaking. If she were sincere, she would have repeatedly, not just matter-of-factly, stated that every vote counts. I would have liked to hear her really knock it home by stating that the old strategy of 'divide and conquer' would not be the winning story for the Republicans this election. As an Obama supporter, I was most offended by Hillary's impersonal reference to 'A Democrat in the White House', 'A' meaning anyone? Oh well! What can you expect. The Clintons need to get off of the bitter bandwagon and jump on the freedom train if they really believe in the shared vision for America both Obama & Clinton agree on.

August 27, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  13. Kim

Daivd, You are not being authentic by your comments. For you to say that cynics will question her motives, it is our job to question them. We are the voters, to think that your comments will sway our vote, makes me laugh!!! Hillary is a leader, she has proved that this evening,. Hillary has the resume to lead this country, Mr. Obama has words, just words, so many words that when asked a direct question at Saddleback Church, he punted!!! Where are the answers to his two favorite words, "(Hope & Change)" I HOPE, I have the CHANGE to afford the BEEF, that he will not explain about his vision for this country! I know Hillary's, I will just have to wait four more years!!!

August 27, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  14. Erica Brown

Hilary gave a great!! speech tonight Obama should be grateful to her,
    I keep hearing those pundits saying what she has to do to get her supporters to vote for Obama, but I think it is Obama!s job to reach out to us and he have not done so yet. I can remember Michelle Obama saying in an interview when she was asked would she vote for Mrs Clinton if her husband did not win, and her answer was and I quote! I WOULD HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT! end quote..so why do they expect me just to get on board for Obama, I have always voted for a democrat but I don't think Obama is ready yet to be the leader of the free world! we lowered the bar with Bush lets be smart this time, people should stop voting for the popular guy and vote for the person who will get the job done. I am a 55 yr old Black woman but I think at this time Hilary has the experience to be the best president, I think Obama need some more time to get his feet wet.

August 27, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  15. jm from sc

Anna, as a woman also, I would like to share a little bit of sisterly love to you. Hillary is not on the ticket mainly because she is still in the race. She did not end her campaign, she suspended it. Obama needed a running mate to run with him, not against him.

It saddens me to see how blind this election has left so many people. Obama won the nomination and that is final. All the should have been and if it had been is converting into ignorance. People are forgetting that Hillary would have been out of the race a long time ago had it not been for Rush Limbaugh and the gang.

If McCain gets in the whitehouse, many will wish they had never seen or heard of Hillary Clinton. She will still be spending her millions.

Obama/Biden 08

August 27, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  16. vote no to war & McWar

After Hillarys speech it is so silly to still see puma on here your still so thick headed that you don't get it go vote for McWarmonger and have 4 more years old McBush the war making machine.

Ask yourself are you better off today than you were 8 years ago?

August 27, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  17. P.L. Thurng

"PUMAs Unite – Vote McCAIN in 2008 – So we can vote HILLARY in 2012 !!!!!"

wow, there are some really uneducated people in this country.

you really want another 4 years of this disaster?

do you really think this country can wait another four years??

time is of the essence!

this empire is crumbling and your pride and selfishness needs to take a break!

UNITE!

August 27, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  18. Joseph, Los Angeles

I smell "Secratery of State." VP is just a sit around job. I think Obama will give her that postion because she loves to be out there in the world making things happen; not just sitting around Washington DC being a Vice. I think there are great things ahead for this wonderful woman.

By the way, I quite PUMA. What a sad joke and I regret ever identifying with such a farce.

August 27, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  19. Dave C - NJ

Can you believe some of these (probably fake) Hillary supporters on these blogs STILL whining?

Obama "manipulted the Fl and Mich votes"? What???

Sure...even though Hillary has always said her platform is 95% the same as Obama's, go vote for McCain...that makes perfect sense. lol

August 27, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  20. haley

As a former HRC supporter, this is how I see it.

On the playing field (pretend the field is America), and because of the issues we all care about, we're on Team Democrat. Now we had 2 really good players on our team that wanted to be captain this year and they both had really good tryouts. But only one of them can be captain of Team Democrat. However, he got to that position, Obama was selected to be the captain of our team and it looks like the Captain sweater isn't going away. Now just because I didn't get the captain i wanted, doesn't mean I'm going to stop playing for Team Democrat, it would be stupid since the goal on our side is to make our field and the players better. Both the people who were fighting to be captain are still my teammates and I have to win – my team has to win. I've looked around and noticed lately that a lot of players are having a rough time affording the equipment you need to play, many of them are being benched, and the injured ones are suffering from lack of proper medical care, not to mention the playing field has been getting some patchy dry spots and looks like it could use an upgrade. The other team, team Republican, doesn't seem to care about any of this, they like the way things are, and most of them, including their captain, are starting to talk a lot of smack. Also, if my team doesn't win, that means that the other team can pick more of the referees (Supreme court justices) and that's only going to hold my team back even more. How can anyone who ever thought themselves a member of Team Democrat switch sides or not support the team, especially when it means waiting 4 more years for another game and who knows what shape the playing field and players are going to be in? Suck it up and take this one for the team, maybe you'll get your way the next time round. But this game is too important for you (or future players) to not support the team and the field. Because its not about one person who didn't get the position we thought she should have, its about all of us and what we are playing for.

11/04/08 – Vote the issues!

August 27, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  21. pam Eugene OR

Great speech Hillary. I sure hope you meant what you said!
    Obama/Biden and a place for Hillary

August 27, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  22. Yoseph

Senator, I think you did more than one should do with all these just do nothing talkers and heaters attacking you. Even with no respect from Obama camp; that is true because they picked VP with 9K vote comparing to 18M. There is no affirmative action to have someone in the White House. I am still mad that you are not the nominee. Really, why and what made Obama a better candidate at all? Is it just because the Kennedy said or is it just because he is black. You cannot make one out of Harvard a CEO without being tested in real life. The N result will be like World Comm, Enron, and others. I am Democrat and we picked the wrong candidate.

August 27, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  23. DWAYNE

WELL ALL THE PUMA FAMILY PLEASE GET BEHIND SEN. OBAMA ..I JUST STOP WORKING FOR THE JOHN McCAIN CAM P BECAUSE HE DOES NOT STAND FOR WHAT I BELIEVE IN.. GO OBAMA 08

August 27, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  24. arlene, CA

I think Hillary is preparing for her run in 2012. Was not sold on her speech. It was just enough said to get her where she needs to be now.

August 27, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  25. cyntia

Great, Hillary!
    You should have been the nominee!
    No way for me and my friends (long time democrats) vote for Obama

August 27, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |