August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. Kilroy

Most of the people, dem or reps, who are against the Clintons in the first place don't even know exactly why they're against them except from what they read/hear from the media. I think it is a HUGE mistake that she was not elected. She showed tonight how to be a team player while still holding to her beliefs about Obama. Besides, anyone elected, even another moron, will look like a presidential genius after Bush. Now's not the time to experiment with candidates...I'd vote experience over wishful thinking anyday. I'd vote for McCain.

August 27, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  2. Rob

She gave a phenomenal speech and I'm thrilled she is supporting our next President, Obama. Proud you are in the Democratic family, Hillary and glad you're on board so we can fix this mess Bush left us.

August 27, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  3. J. McCaskill, MS

This speech tonight should make Democrats slap themselves. This speech tonight proves that Hillary Clinton should have been the nominee for President. Her intelligence, know-how, and specific giving ideas proves she was the better candidate and no matter what she says, I just can't in good sense vote for Senator Obama. Not a republican in disguise, and Black independent for Hillary or McCain.

Hillary 2012

August 27, 2008 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  4. sine

For those of you who still say you won't vote for barack because you think he is too "inexperienced" and thats why you're voting for McCain then you were never a democrat to begin with. If you don't believe in the dems canidate then DON'T VOTE. For the life of me I can't understand why you would vote for opposite of everything you believed your whole life. Does he scare you that much?? Is he that different from you that you can't stand the thought??

I just need someone to explain it to me – because Hillary is right – were you in it for her?? or for my fiance thats fighting for your livelihoods in an unjust war? If you worried that you missed a historic moment , you still have another historic moment waiting for you – that may forever transcend the outlook of this country, even more so than hillary clinton. Have you seen this much hope in young minds, ever??? Have you? I have never seen so many young people engaged in THEIR future, yes I said THEIR. Because the thing that some don't understand in particular republicans and McCain and angry democrats is that it's not about you, it's about that 18 year old trying to go to college. It's about that 22 year old on his 2nd tour in iraq. It's about the Obama kids, your kids, the next generation. Let me tell you the next generation and young people today are a lot more united than the old politics that the older generation tries to run, Barack gets that, and we get him!!!

Vote or Die!

August 27, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  5. Mark

Hillary wants desperately for McCain to win so she can run again in 2012. Anyone who doesn't see that is in denial.

August 27, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  6. MARYANN Oswego IL

Hillary should be the nominee...most of us know this but will be called racists if we disagree with the chosen one....Does Michelle Obama know how to smile ...while Hillary was talking ,Michelle looked like she was clenching her mouth shut... I enjoyed Michelle last night...but Hillary was the best so far during this convention . I cannot wait for President Bill Clinton tomorrow....The Clinton's have done so much for America...I can only hope that Hillary stays strong...I will never vote for McCain or Obama!!!!!

August 27, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  7. Judd

To the HILLARY IN 2012 folks...you ought to be ashamed of yourselves. I think Hillary would tell you the same thing. Maybe you'll come around in four years from now when Obama is running for re-election!

August 27, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  8. Wolf

And the Dems are settling for a lesser candidate.....way to go youngins'......! Senator Obama will lose and Clinton will win in 2012. Senator Obama does not have what it takes. Clinton came away today the true winner! All the Dems are watching the #'s go down for Obama – now knowing, that had Clinton been the nominee – the numbers would have been going up – up – up!

The biggest difference between Clinton and Obama is that with Clinton – she is all party and all America.......with Obama it is all about him! Good luck Dems – you lose!

August 27, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  9. Michael

For all of those saying Obama does not have enough experience to be president:
    1. Nobody has the experience to be president. It is an amazingly difficult job.
    2. George Bush has been president for the last 7 years and he is still awful at it.

August 27, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  10. granny

I think that Hillary wanted to list a bunch of Barack's good points, but he actually does not have any so it was difficult to do. She did the best that could be done with what she had to work with.

August 27, 2008 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  11. she's still the one

Her speech was inspiring and gracious. I'm not sure any other candidate in history has been as supportive as HRC. How fun it is to watch the Obama loving media praise her so lavishly tonight after months of negativity. I'm sorry Senator Clinton. You are a much bigger person than I. Count me among the many who plan to stay home in November. Sadly, it is not so much about Obama but his campaign and supporters. I may not be cling to guns and bibles but I am one bitter non voter this time around

August 27, 2008 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  12. Penny

Too bad he didn't take her as the running mate. He still won't get my vote. I believe all the statements regarding Obama that Hillary made while running for office herself. More of the same would be better than taking a chance on the inexperienced Obama!

August 27, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  13. Laura - Alabama

I'm an Obama supporter, but in appreciation for Hillary's outstanding speech tonight, I just went to her website and made a donation to help her pay off her debt. It's astonishing to me that her so-called "supporters" haven't done this yet. She's about $22 million in debt. Each of the 18 million people who voted for her would only have to contribute a little over one dollar in order to pay off her debt. Four million supporters could do it with a donation of $5 each. It makes one wonder about their true level of support.

August 27, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  14. Virginia

After Hillary's speech, I am even more perplexed how Obama became the Democratic nominee. However, the media continues to shove Obama and Michelle down our throats.

What a terrible loss to our nation not to have her as our next President.

August 27, 2008 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  15. Trasa, Texas

To all those that don't want to join the cause, that's fine and it's your right so move out the way. It's obvious Hillary wants to be on aboard. Great speech, Hill. You did great and very proud, this Obama supporter will be donating $25 to help retire your debt since you put your all into it. It's a shame you can't count on some if not all your ardent supporters who yelling out for that bafoon McBush. Unite we will and will get the show on the road. I just want to say, when Barack is elected and when he, with the help of Joe, Hillary and the rest of the democrats get things done, don't be switching around talking about you were for it all along.

Obama/Biden

August 27, 2008 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  16. TEXAS for OBAMA!!!

MK:

It is very obvious that it bothers you that Barack and Michelle Obama are intelligent, accomplished, and articulate indivisuals. You can't fault them on the issues, so you attack their character. You are truly caught up in hatred and anger.

Michelle doesn't have to learn anything from Hillary or anyone else. Her parents taught her well; that's why she's one step from becoming the 1st Lady of this great country! Hillary, in her great speech tonight, said it best. Did you do it for her? Or for the American people who need healthcare, a better economy, and withdrawal out of a senseless war? You may be proud of Hillary, but you obviously did not hear a word she said tonight.

Also, you mentioned that Hillary's speech made Obama look like a fool in politics. Everyone knows that one of Obama's greatest strong points is his speeches (2004 anyone? hello!!). There is NO ONE on the face of this earth that can deliver a speech like Obama! So, get rid of the hate and come out of denial. Obama is the best man for this job!!!!

Obam/Biden '08

August 27, 2008 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  17. Herb Rosenbaum

Mr. G., your comments are "right on" . Sen. Clinton 's words and spirit were in high gear and extremely persuasive. It was her best performance in many a day. Now let us hear from her smiling fan # 1, W.J.C !

August 27, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  18. Dr.Mimi De La Cruz for OBAMA

NOTE TO BILL CLINTON.

WE HAVE HONORED YOU WITH THE GREATEST

HONOR A NATION CAN BESTOW ON A ANY PERSON &

WE HAVE DONE IT TWICE. WE NEED TO KNOW IN A

VERY DECISIVE WAY THAT WE WERE NOT MISTAKEN.

YOU NEED TO MAN UP, & DO YOUR BEST & I MEAN,YOUR

BEST FOR THIS NATION. IT'S SOMETHING YOU HAVEN'T

DONE WAY TOO MANY TIMES. BUT AS LONG AS WE ARE

ALIVE THERE IS TIME TO REPENT, TO LEARN & TO

PROVE WORTHY OF THE LOVE, RESPECT & HONOR

OTHERS GIVE US AND TO RECIPROCATE.

August 27, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  19. LEH

Why did my post get overlooked? Just because I maintain my position not to support Senator Obama?

August 27, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  20. Kathryn

Mr. Gergen, you are spot on with your comment. You were also
    correct when you said that Hillary should have been seriously
    considered for the VP slot. I am one of those disaffected Hillary
    supporters. Not only was Hillary genuine tonight, she was
    tremendously gracious and generous, more generous than
    Obama deserved. I will not vote for McCain; for that, Obama
    can thank Hillary. If I do vote for Obama, it will primarily be due
    to Hillary's leadership.

Kathryn B.
    Snellville, GA

August 27, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  21. Art

I would guess that many people walking out of that convention hall were thinking that the wrong person has been nominated.

August 27, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  22. Kris from Des Moines

You Hillary supporters who are voting for Mccain make me sick to my stomach. I hope your kids are all drafted and you all lose your jobs and go hungry. You are nothing but terrible people.

Hillary gave a great speech and instead of listening to this person you supposedly support you are going to do exactly the opposite of what she would like and support Mccain? I hope you people rot in ... for your ignorance and stupidity.

August 27, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  23. Jim C

I've read about 50 posts on this blog this morning, and what I'm reading is this: Democrats don't really believe in democracy. Most of the Clinton supporters are ripping Obama–as if he was some bad guy who co-opted the nomination process. She lost, fair and sqaure, and it's over. Obama ran a better, smarter campaign and the majority of votes cast in all of the Democratic primaries were cast for Obama. Don't the facts mean anything to you folks? Hillary lost, Obama won, and he did according to party rules.

Now, since Obama has chosen Illinois as his adopted home state, and he launched his campaign and vp announcement from the steps of the Illinois Capitol, it would be wise to qoute President Abraham Lincoln, of Illinois: "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." Mr. Lincoln was speaking about folks like Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, and Barrack Obama.

John McCain will win in November.

August 27, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  24. Alice

There no doubt will be cynics who actually believe Clinton believed what she was saying. Rather, it is a ploy to retire her debt and to keep some standing in the party. I feel tremendously sorry for these people who for either person gain or by direction decided to follow the mainstream in thinking Clinton has any concern for anyone but herself.

Mentioning support for Obama some 10 times she failed to say that Obama was ready to be president. She said Mrs. Obama would make a great first lady and Biden ready to be vice president.

She said plenty about how proud she was being a woman, women rights, and her health care with emotion; however, each time she said she supported Obama there was no emotion.

I feel hurt that I actively supported her and her lies in Florida only to observe how her bitterness and hate for the will of the people finally came out. It now will be interesting to see if her name goes into nomination. Actions speak louder than words and that should signal even the most determined cynic that he intentions are anything but unifying.

It is almost worth the effort to see her nominated so that the republican women and me would come out in droves to defeat her in quite possibly a landslide.

August 27, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  25. Indiana Confused Voter

Could someone please explain to me what "change you can believe in" really means?? I am an undecided voter. I have always voted Republican, but I'm sure I'm not the only voter that always agree's with 100% with your own parties issues. I'm kinda split I guess..a couple issues on each side I feel very strongly about this time around. The only reason I feel I have to lean towards McCain is because I know exactly his stances on these couple issues that are important to me. In return, I have no idea what the definition of "change" means to Obama. I can't vote in his direction if I don't have a clue about any of his issues. Can anyone on here put simply but specifically his plans on any of the major issues?? If you can, I would appreciate it!!

August 27, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |