August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. Joe in StL

"No way, no how, no McCain."

Hear that? That's called Democratic Unity.

August 26, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  2. Stephen Johnson

It amazes me that Hillary supporters will think of voting for McCain when Obama is fighting for their causes. Do they think that if Obama loses because of them that Obama supporters will support Hillary in 2012? That lady that was interviewed around 11pm, and people like her, will be the reason the US continues to fail.

August 26, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  3. ms

Gergen I think you are wrong. We see that Hillary does care about the country, but more importantly about herself. She is still plotting to live at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

August 26, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  4. Monica

It was Hillary's finest moment but not for Obama. She gave her best speech ever and left no doubt that she should be the nominee. It looks like she started her campaign for 2012.

August 26, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  5. Hab

I loved her speech, she meant what she said and hey it was one of the greatest speech i ever heard... but most importantly she asked us a very good question for her supporters ... were u in this just for me or were u in this for the larger causes? hey my answer is for the largest cause ... i cant vote for mccain and suffer another 4 more yrs... Thank u Hillary ur a great leader and from now on im for Obama
    Go OBAMA
    BIDEN

August 26, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  6. chris

It never surprises me that she can deliver top notch messages and results. This isn't over. The scorched earth campaigns of both factions of this party have their consequences. She demonstrated that she gets it, and has a vision much bigger than herself. Obama's lack of consideration for her is noted and I will be voting independent. Bill Clinton is being treated as a pariah. Cafferty and other pundits should be fired from news networks for their repeated slanders and lies. I'm sick of his hatred, of the slanting of public opinion by the emphasis of the meme of the day.

August 26, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  7. MO Voter

Senator Clinton showed she is a true champion for the American people tonight. Brilliant speech.

Great first lady, Good Senator, and a true fighter for the not as well off in this country.

From a Obama supporter

Obama/Biden 08

August 26, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  8. Obama/Biden Change you Can Believe IN..

No Way, No How, No McCain…!!!

No Way, No How, No McCain…!!!

No Way, No How, No McCain…!!!

No Way, No How, No McCain…!!!

Obama/Biden... 2008, 2012

August 26, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  9. Paul Allen Billings

I agree with you David,
    Truly a once in a lifetime speech.
    20 years from now, we will be talking about this speech and how Hillary Clinton united the Democratic Party.

10. Tom

I believe Hillary Clinton went above and beyond in her speach. I truly would like to have had her as my President, however she convinced me that there are greater issues at hand. With consideration to the greater cause, I will vote for Obama.

11. Maureen

Wasn't bad Yet she never addressed her criticisms of Obama during the primary (3AM phone call) and what she thought made him qualified now. I was waiting for some remark about that during her speech, so it seemed a bit dutiful to me but without heart. She came close w/her comment "Were you in it for me or for the cause?"

12. Ex Puma

We should be in it for the right reason! To get us back on the right track!
    What what Obvious was that Hillary and Obama are pretty much very similar. If I vote against Obama I vote against Hillary!
    It was a great speech and pretty funny Right Back at Ya No Way McSame!
    In good concience – Obama/Biden 08
    Go Dems!!

13. S. Boatman

NO WAY! . . . NO HOW!. . . NO MCCAIN!

14. KyleCope

I loved how Hillary's speech was about Hillary's place in history, right up there with Harriet Tubman. And she BARELY mentioned Obama, not once praising his character, his upbringing, or anything but herself. Then again, that's pure Clinton M.O., as with all sociopaths.

15. davidoff

I think that her "support" was not real. She said better things of Biden than of Obama. Watch the speech again and you will see what I mean. It was about her, about her, ... and against MCain, never "I think that Obama is the best choice because he..." Basically, vote against Republicans.

16. DG

For people who say that Obama lacks substance...how about you actually listen to him speak? You do realize that you're only being fed that "no substance" crap from people who tell you that. Get a mind of your own. If you don't think Obama talks enough about his policies...RESEARCH IT! Stop being so lazy. Stop letting everyone else make your decisions for you.

For the people who are voting for Barack Obama because Hillary told you to tonight, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

For the people who are voting for John McCain because Hillary lost to Obama, you should be even more ashamed of yourselves.

For the people who are voting for John McCain because they have researched his policies and understand it, good for you. You should be happy that you decided on a candidate you believe in.

For the people who are voting for Obama because they have researched his policies and understand it, good for you. Good for you because you've studied, researched and found that our future is best when under the guidance of not just Barack Obama but the leaders of the democratic party of America and the entire Obama administration. Good for you because our kids will be more prepared for higher education due to the standards that Obama & Biden will implement. Higher math standards, higher science standards, stronger education, more affordable higher education with a refundable tax credit...

For the development of our children...
    for the health of our families...
    for our economy...
    for our foreign relations, understandings and concrete dimplomacy...
    for developing green collar jobs...
    for our environmental future...

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

17. Jason

It's now etched in stone... as a Hillary supporter i must defy her request. I am voting for McCain.... you had Regan democrats... i will now be know and millions others as 'McDemocrats"

18. tell the truth

Thanks Hilliary you did a good job.

Go Obama

19. Sandy- PA

She asked what other people are in it for, when we all know she is and was only in it for herself and to keep the Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush monarchy going. Neither Clinton makes a move that isn't calculated and that doesn't benefit them.

20. Allan

You haven't been posting my comments, but I'm going to say this anyway. I thought Sen. Clinton was wonderful, and I have spent the past 4 months fuming about her. She was gracious in defeat, and showed none of the anger we have heard about over and over again. Makes me wonder if CNN made it all up. And David, I think you've been giving some of the more balanced comments I've seen. I'm in Mexico and am stuck with CNN, but go to your live broadcast on the net to avoid the talking heads.

21. Eric in NM

Hillary did the Democrats proud! As she should have. The party and the convention will move forward, strongly united, if her husband echoes her remarks tomorrow night. My fingers are crossed.

August 26, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  22. Lin

Barack is in the driver's seat and I have no qualms about supporting his platform! Go Barack!
    I think Hillary is much bigger than Bill. She is once again showing that she is the thoroughbred in that relationship, and had she won the nomination I would have voted for her.

August 26, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  23. Sandy

Gergen – the Limbaugh "fakes" won't be coming home to the dem party – you all forgot how many there are. They love pill-poppers, they'll vote for McWarmonger and his Botox Barbie (you finish the sentence) .............

August 26, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  24. Billary

She did such a great job tonight. I am now more than ever convinced that I made the right choice when I voted for her. And, now more than ever, am convinced that I will vote for McCain and bring Hillary back in four years.

If you want Hillary back in four years, please vote for McCain!

Hillay 2012

August 26, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  25. Ronny Luxembourg citizen

Over here in Europe, we all said: well now she's got to stand by the man, otherwise... and she did, she really did. Very impressive. She showed it's not about her, but about the cause. These are people you need, you really need them. As for the staff question, over here we (who are, of course, not the voters) believe that Biden is quite fine as the VP, having the experience the republicans so fervently question (actually our own head of state was roughly the same age as Obama, when he took the job, and he's been doing it for more than 16 years now, and quite well). Whilst Hillary surely would be an excellent replacement for Condi... You go ahead, America, you put it right this time.

August 26, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |