August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. tim

Mrs Clinton voiced support for causes she championed.
    She endorsed Obama because he is the supposed nominee.
    She did not in any way talk about how she saw him as a great
    leader, commander in chief or really anything besides a vague
    mention to some baloney community organizer role he played
    I am not sure if it was before or after helping Rezko freeze out
    brothers in the slum in the middle of Winter.
    I really felt for her to be put in a position of finding something to
    say about Obama.

August 26, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  2. Frank, California

David, the first cynic is yourself for always bringing tired old and boring ideas up on CNN. Today you choose to defend Hillary's speech.
    Great speech yeah! But mostly self-serving. Now I really believe Bill & Hillary want Obama to loose so she can run in 2012. If you people were watching Hillary's body language how about the fact that she never said whether or not Obama is qualify to be president or will be a better president than McCain? Wasn't that her main indictment during the primaries?
    The Clinton better pray Obama wins or else they will be booed everywhere they go and they can forget about running again in this country for whatever office that may be
    Obama/Biden 2008/20012

August 26, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  3. carl

i urge all democrats who supported Hillary to vote for barack obama.

our time is now an hillary just made us all realize that we need barack obama in the white house.

we can't afford four more year's of the bush maccain adm.

vote obama 2008 go obama go. we love you HILLARY CLINTON.

fr Tennessee

August 26, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  4. OBA-DEN 08... all the way!!

At the beginning of their campaigns I was straddling between them. I was turned off of Hillary by her tactics. This speech was wonderful. She delivered the message I believe should have been delivered long ago, but hey better late than never. I don't know if she really believed it all but if she didn't... "The Oscar goes to..."!!! Job Well Done Mrs. Clinton.

August 26, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  5. lol

hillary showed the dnc, and america that she should be the presidential nominee. obama is a david axelrod media creation! nobama! mccain 08! hillary 2012!

August 26, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  6. AJ

Heard a comment of republican party that Hillary didn't specifically endorse Obama as Commander in Chief!! See, this is the problem with the republicans – they suddenly forgot that a President is also a Commander in Chief. How pitiful!!

August 26, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  7. Voting for Obama

Hillary Your Are the Woman!!!-you sound really childish. Imma pray for you. LMAO. You clearly didn't get her message and sound obsessed...

Obama 2008 and beyond.Real dems lets unit and take back the white house. No McShame!!!

8. Audrey

I think Hillary did a terrific job. That was a fantasic speech! However, I'm sure the haters will find something to criticize. The most unfortunate thing about this evening was the smug look on Michelle Obama's face. It was such a disgrace. It seems to me that Michelle only clapped when her husband's name was mentioned. The Obamas expect Hillary to do so much for them and yet they can't even bear to give her some respect.

9. DemCrats

GO MRS. CLINTON! THAT WAS POWERFUL!

10. Obama the Deceiver

Hillary was amazing! She should have been the presidential nominee. She is much more the leader than Obuma.

11. Brian Jones

Wasn't it Clinton who said "Just Words?"

12. Margo

I think, Mr. Gergen, you and your media friends should have been this professional and honest about Hillary while the primaries were going, instead of bashing her at every turn. YOU are the reason Hillary supporters are still upset, and not one of you has admitted your bias. It's too bad Obama is feeling the fallout from what the media is guilty of.

13. Copperfield

To Chris August 26th, 2008 11:40 pm ET:

Well said, we have an amazing oppertunity to steer this country in the right direction and I can only hope spite doesn't hold us back.

14. Van

Hillary was great... but don't worry guys Obama will match it on Thursday. If you remember his 2004 speech, you know the man can really excite a crowd.... I'm also certain that Biden is going to knock it out of the park tomorrow as well.

Clinton for Secretary of State!

Obama/Biden 08!

Clinton 2016!

15. CK

THIS WOMAN IS

AN ABSOLUTE PHONEY

AND

AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE.

16. hil supporter

offering a high level cabinet position would be nice-

17. weiqin

I think Hillary gave a great speech, one thing that I do not understand is Michelle Obama's facial expression. She looked mean and annoyed at times.

18. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Hillary gave a great lesson in her speech which voters now and in future elections should ask themselves (were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes?). I have always looked at Obama as a person who is running for the larger causes and that's why I support him however, there isn't much difference in the two.

19. Sharon Ohio

It made you stop and look at all that Obama lacks.

Democrats Loss

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  20. Vicki

during the primary season i was often offended by attacks on Obama that struck me as coded ways in demeaning him and interjecting race into the election. these attacks were coming from the Clinton campaign and were especially troubling because i was initially divided between Clinton and Obama. and many of those attacks are coming home to roost as many Democrats feared (McCain attack ads featuring Clinton). and as an African American woman, i often feel excluded by the use of the word "woman or women" when these words are not qualified to indicate, "white" woman, etc. bottom line is that i held my breath tonight not knowing what to expect. throughout Clinton's speech i was moved and relieved. I am once again proud of her, as a woman, and would consider supporting her in the future. Senator Clinton was amazing tonight and i can now stop resenting the way in which i believe her campaign struck below the belt and minimized the substantial candidacy and person of Senator Obama.

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  21. Danny

It was an excellent speech, and I find it AWFUL how CNN finds a way to spin it against everything she said in her speech! Get out, keep Hillary's values in heart, and vote for Barack Obama! Hillary couldnt have been more clear, and to that lady CNN so desperately had on, a no vote, is a vote for McCain, and that is a vote against everything Hillary stood for. people will say Barack isnt ready to lead but would you rather have four years of someone who tries to succeed for you, or would rather have four years of Big Oil's Lap Dog! CNN you've disgusted me this week, but hopefully this will show you how the democrats will be united even after your spin!

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  22. Andrea, California

I"ll tell you what, she convinced me NOT to vote for john McCain. But i will be staying home. Obama appears to be a good guy, but not who i want to be president. You can say staying home is a vote for McCain, but i don't see it that way, to me, he has just not appeared to care at all about what she has done for women, putting her, or at least VETTING her like he said he would, would have shown that. She was amazing, should have been her.

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  23. rmk3551 Yakima,WA

Hillary was awesome tonight. She challenged all of her die hards to really answer the call. She attacked McCain which others seem reluctant to do. I wonder when the Demos will bring up issues like torture, the trasing of the Constitution, illegal wiretapping and other issues that the Bush/Cheney years have brought us. They (Bush/Cheney and their fellow Repukes) have morally bankrupted us with their wierd idea of right and wrong and the end justifies the means.

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  24. marilyn

I'm wondering.....if Hillary had given that speech before Obama became Thee Nominee...would she have become the next president of these United Staes.?!

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  25. Harut

That was an EXCELLENT speech!

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |