August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. go away mongers- Ventura ca

I agree wholeheartedly! That was the Hillary I loved and supported in the 90's- the Primary did damage to the Clinton legacy in my home-this was a start to normalcy around here!
    Thanks Hill-–and to all so-called pumA's- if you dishonor her by doing exactly what she said you shouldn't do (voting for mcSAME)- you were NEVER a Democrat anyway! So take your slogans, petitions and bad attitudes where they'll fit right in-mcSAME HQ!

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  2. Peggy Judy

Hundreds of people that I know will still support McCain over Obama in November. It is time for the people to take a stand and show our politicians that we do have the right to our vote and they have no right to trump it. I have never been so ashamed of my party in my life. I have always worn my "Proud to Be a Democrat" gear - until now. I would rather be a Republican (after a lifetime of being a straight Democrat) than support an inexperienced man that I do not trust. At least Michelle can finally be proud of her Country and it only took making millions of us ashamed of our Country's so called democracy in action. The DNC has made the Democratic Party more like Communist. We don't get a choice and our vote gets trumped.

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  3. Vern

It was the kind of speech Hillary needed to unite the Democrats. When she said "were you in this for me, or in it for" the other people she mentioned, I think she hit home with a lot of Hillary Democrats who have been, to be honest, acting like spoiled babies because Hillary didn't win the nomination. I think it will make the majority of them stop and think, "wait a minute, I CAN'T vote for someone who is the anthisis of Hillary" (John McCain).

I think it will really shore up Obama's base. If he hits a home run with his acceptance speech, I think he'll get a big bounce in the polls.

Obama in '08

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  4. george

Great speech from a woman I thought would do anything to get in the White House. My mind is changed on that front.

Now lets not mess this up, Hillary supporters. Please vote... Don't be sore and not vote, or even worse.... McCain.

If you are a true supporter, it would be wise to Follow Her lead.

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  5. Trang, Fremont, CA

Hillary certainly did a great job. If Hillary's supporters don't follow her, that's them. She did her part.

Barack Obama, you have a tough act to follow after these great presentations. Kennedy was great. Michelle Obama was great. Hillary Clinton was great. It's definitely feels good to be a Democrat this year.

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  6. Happily Independent

Some Hillary supporters still show their ignorance. I left the Democratic party to become an Independent by the end of the Clinton years because I believe the Democratic party tolerated bad values. It seemed like anything Bill Clinton did was OK. Values DO matter. 'I have much more respect for Hillary than Bill. If Obama was not in the presidential race,I would eventually choose Hillary even though she is not my first choice. I liked McCain back in 2000 when he WAS the real maverick. He has cut too many deals and he is not now nothing more than a BUSH clone. NO WAY NO HOW, NO John McCain.

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  7. chris

the ignorant say: "The ONLY reason many of her supporters were voting for Clinton was because she was a woman. That is so stupid. "
    You've been listening to too much talk radio. This simply is the result of you not going beyond the meme. I supported Clinton after years of disliking her. I had to look at the reality that she might be president and investigate her past. She has been lied about more often than not. She does have a gawky haughty nature that works against her better interests, but sorry to disagree with your judgement, it isn't just because she is a woman. It is because she was more qualified and was only being impeded because she was a woman and because as that punk Tucker Carlson illustrated through his hate for his mother, "she reminds me of my mother". Think before you project.

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  8. MK

Brilliant speech given by a brilliant person! This is one for the record books. Hillary made Obama look like a fool to be in national politics. He's not even in the same league.

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  9. Frances L

The Republicans are saying Hillary did not say Barack was ready for presidency. This speech was not for the Republicans. It was for her supporters. She wanted to point out the things she so believed in and has worked hard for, for many years. She was reeling her supporters in and driving the point home that Barack believes in the same thing that she does To join Barack Obama and that voting for McCain would go against all their hard work.

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  10. I disagree

I think Hillary should have made the case for why we should vote FOR Obama instead of just why we SHOULD NOT vote for McCain.

I am sure the Republicans are going to point out that she didnt list any of Obama's positives in her speech.

She could have done better. But I think her ego got in the way.

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  11. McCain and Bush are twins

Hillary delievered a great speech and should be congratulated.

Anyone who CLAIMS to be a former HRC supporter that still plans to vote McCain just lost all logical justification for their choice. They have been stripped down by Queen Hill to show who they really are: Republicans!!!!

No McCain!

Obama/Biden 08

August 26, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  12. Gayle Logan

Hilary presented in extremely well. She was genuine. However, there
    are people who are doubting, or are disillusioned, like the last African
    American Women with the Shirley Temple Curls. She missed the
    entire escense of Hilary's speech. She appeared confused, and in the state of shock. She didn't get the point, that Hilary's speech was not ment to be "Presidential", as the woman said, but a speech to wake the people up, promote unity, and in support of Mr. Obama. There will be other like her, who may avoid voting! It does not follow logic to me.

Gayle

13. Don Group

I thought she did a great job. I think that the comment to her base, which I am one of, about just supporting her or supporting the party really hit home with me. I would hope that the hardcore Clinton supporters that are even thinking about voting for McCain would ask themselves the same question.
    It is about change, and about taking back the country.

14. Garth

Any Hillary Supporter who still is a Puma or will vote for McCain after tonights speech really is a Republican. She did well in my view. But bear in mind the theme of the speech was No way No How No McCain, Support Barack Obama.

15. I heart Hillary

Life is so disappointing. She should have been the nominee.

Obummer.

16. Sue in MI

It just goes to show that she deserved to be the nominee, and would have been a great President! I loved when the applause went on and on, and the MSNBC cameras caught Bill applauding and mouthing the words "I love you" over and over to her.

17. James

This is the Hillary we all knew, the Hillary her supporters saw during the primaries.

How convenient for the Obama folks to finally realize it.

18. Brad

She gave the bare min for Obama. No personal Endorsement. No comments on his character. She never even said he'd be a great president., just "vote for him."

19. Wise Owl

Hillary was awesome. As much as I admire and respect her, I will never vote for a man like Obama. No way, No how, No Obama.

Democrate for McCain

20. barry c

america missed its opportunity,,,,,she is a great leader...the best of her generation and possibly better than bill.....she is an amazing american....selfless....and united....

signed a PUMA

21. Joba Adekanmbi

Hillary Rodham Clinton moved me to tears tonight. She is the best! She delivered a very graceful speech and endorsed a former rival. Very few people can accept a tough loss and still be so graceful.

Obama needs to step up because the bar has been raised much higher.

Joba

22. LADYSD-AKRON

Hillary did what she was suspose to do and did a good job in attempting to bring the party together. I liked when she said basically it is not about her it is about all Democrates. This was a good night for the Democrats and they have to run with and continue to build on it. If every Democrate start to realize that it is not only about them, and women's rights then we can take back the office. If we Democrates do not take back the Washington this year, then I will bet that a Democrat will never be President again. Bush is the worse present ever and if another republican takes office in 2009 then they will probably hold office for the rest of my adult life and I am 46 years old.

HILLARY'S SUPPORTERS WHO VOTE FOR MCCAIN IS NOT WORTHY TO BE AN AMERICAN.

23. PUMA-Darragh

To Unsatisfied PUMA

Dude, your done. lol Hilary said it. No way, No how, No McCain.

You are a Republican. Your done. ;) We know it. Your leader donated $500 to McCain and $0 to Gore in 2000.... your done. :)

24. lcsanz

No Way ,No how , no McCain
    I am a Hillary Supporter, One of the most moving , heart filled , and strong speeches I have ever heard .May the Lord Jesus guide us and be with us in one of our most critical times in our Nation, and that we make a wise decision. Thank you Hillary!!!

25. Dave from SC

I have never been a fan of Senator Clinton. I never trusted her; and from day one had supported everyone else on the Democratic Party line. But tonight Hillary R. Cilton knocked my socks off. Bravo Senator Clinton BRAVO!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26