August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. melaniebartlett

i wrote something awesome about hillary and how great she was and you didnt post it cause i wasnt bad mouthing her hey guess what cnn you can suck it...how about posting that you dorks

2. Bill

Hillary said what she needed to say tonight, and she did it in a great way. She never gave up who she is and how far she came, but she showed that party what we all need to hear: Unity!

3. Greg

Hillary,

Asked the right question!!!! Now Hillary supporters, stand up as a true Democrat not a Mcainocrat.

4. Aaron

I thought Hillary's speech was nothing short of stunning. Truly a side to her I didn't know existed. I have gained so much respect for her as a result! She swallowed her pride and hopefully all of those "supporters" of hers who think voting for McCain will prove some sort of point will follow her lead and do what's best for our country instead of what's best for our pride. I can't imagine how difficult it must've been to deliver a speech like that with such high hopes of being the president. You could almost see the disappointment in her face when she said she couldn't wait to see Obama sign a universal health care plan into action. Something she has worked so tirelessly for. I applaud her for doing something that was so desperately needed and hopefully this can be a stepping stone as we move on and up to better things under the leadership of Barack Obama.

5. elle in CA

It's nice but I do believe what she said earlier that Obama doesn't have the experience to execute these well. He might have the visions but doesn't have the credibility

Nothing what Hillary said today convinced me that from the time of the primary till today, what has changed and what made Barack become a formidable candidate especially when it comes to his experience.

Many voters are concerned about Barack's lack of experience and nothing tonight can convince me otherwise.

6. Julio

I am recovering still from Hillary's speach.
    I have supported her all throughout her campaign and now, it is time to begin the process–the process of accepting that my investment, as well as millions of othes Americans' investment on Hillary, will now blossom in the way we all hoped it would.
    God Bless Hillary Clinton. Forever grateful to her.
    But now, Obama 2008!

7. G

Hillary you did a Great Job! I am very proud of you even though I have been critical of you in the past mostly because of all the negative things that have been said. But its time to forgive and forget. No way, No how, No Mccain great line. Get going and win in November!!!!!

Obama/Biden08
    Hillary 2016!

8. Allen In North Carolina

She almost caused me to lose my dinner..... I bet those words of praise tatsed mighty nasty to her..... Self centered egotistical person she is.... One more night of the clintons, And I pray thats the end of having to hear from either of them ever again..... At least until her day in court In November.....

OBAMA 2008.......

August 26, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  9. OBA-DEN 08... all the way!!

MK? Have you ever listened to Michelle Obama speak or is your only source of "facts" Hannity? Angry? Failures? Mediocre?

Pat yourself on the back MK, you've just made your country proud with that idiotic comment!

10. Hillary Rocks

...Bravo

11. Jim in Atlanta

David – it's funny how you now have nothing but praise for Hillary Clinton when all you did was bash her and criticize the Clinton's during the primary. The difference – during the primary she was on the attack against Obama and now she's on his side. It is obvious to me and millions of other Americans that you are promoting a hidden agenda – that being to get Barack Obama elected president. You have lost all credibility with me and many others who can see right through you.

12. Alvin

Sen. Clinton delivers in a big way.

I have been a skeptic of Sen. Clinton for some time in regards to her sincerity to back Sen. Obama. Tonight she struck a cord in me with her speech...What a speech! She clearly put party and country ahead of self tonight. Any of her backers that do not support Obama-Biden after hearing her words should seriously examine themselves. Well done Sen. Clinton, you came up big for your party tonight. We have runners on base, with the muscle of the lineup still on deck, Bill Clinton, Joe Biden and cleanup hitter, Barack Obama. Go Dems.

13. Greg Quas

If you want McCain now all of you Clintonistas, maybe you should listen to her now If Obama loses, she will never get any votes from the people behind Obama now in 2012...

Get behind a cause and not a person, you want Bush again vote McCain, and if he gets in, I will never vote for Hillary in 2012...

Make your choice because by 2016, the last democrat president will still be Bill...WAKE UP!!!

14. Mike Shea

I am, and have been an ardent Hillary supporter. But she is right, I did it for the cause, not just for her.... it was for the future. Maybe Barack should think about THE HILL for Sec. of State!

15. Dennis Wolf

David,

What struck me by Hillary's speech is that at 3:00 am I would have been very confident that she answered the call. After hearing her tonight I am struck by the contrast between her and Obama and I can only say, "no way, no how NoBAMA!"

16. NoWayNoHowNoMcCain

Today I am convinced that some of the so called Hillary supporters are indeed Republicans. I just saw a die hard Hillary supporter who was almost in tears say that even though she cannot make up her mind, she definitely cannot vote for McCain.

If you are one of her supporter's who will, how would you explain that to her?

17. United, Not Divided

I am NO Clinton fan by any means. I was almost tempted not to watch it, but I turned it on anyhow. I was almost standing up in my living room for her to applaud her. She was amazing. Not that I totally believe she and Bill are over it yet, but what she said meant a lot as an Obama supporter, that convinces me even if she's not personally over it, she is an adult and will do what's right for this party, like she promised to do. I am proud to be a fellow Democrat – a real one like Clinton, Obama and Biden. I hope he gives her some great position in his cabinet. I just hope others really heard what she had to say and take it to heart. I did. No more Clinton bashing from me. But, I would urge others to start having real conversations on these blogs; no name calling from Obama and Clinton supporters,but I doubt that will really change.

DEMS 08!

18. Voter

No Way-No How-No McCain! Defeat the McBush Twins!

19. Casey, Minneapolis, MN

Sen. Clinton was nothing short of brilliant this evening. Tonight we saw the real deal. She is in the upper tier of our Nation's most talented leaders and look forward to supporting her continuing work in leading our country.

I've always been a Sen. Clinton supporter and will vote for Sen. Obama. For those of you who will not vote for him, you need to search much deeper within yourselves and ask why. Is this about you or America?

20. Edgar - Orlando

HIllary took care of business unlike Michele and that face she had when a true leader "our President spoke."

21. Bill

Typical Hillary speech, it was all about her,,, HELLO the idea is to get Barrack elected not to make Hillary look good,,, The Clinton disease runs deep in this family,,,

22. Gretchen

It was a good speech David, although I would have liked just one sentence 'renouncing' her campaign statement re John McCain's qualification to be commander in chief. She could have even done it in a humorous fashion. But her direct plea to her supporters was effective I think. It will be interesting to watch Bill Clinton tomorrow. I have my doubts re the job he'll do. His ego appears to be boundless; so artificial.

23. mapper john

I think her speech tonight was absolutely right on the mark. There seems to be a consistent push on the part of the CNN analyst team to press this "Hillary or nothing" idea as being viable. You may call this focus investigative reporting but I find it tiring and uncalled for. The Democratic Party has always been known for being devisive but they will pull it all together and win the White House in November. Thanks for the opportunity to post a comment.

24. Julie

United Democrats are what the Republicans fear most. McCain the so called "Maverick" who voted with Bush 95% of the time is not what I call change for the better but for more of the same failed policies.

25. Ms. RDS

To all Clinton and Obama supportes let relish in this moment! Don't even waste time to reply to the posters who state they will vote for McCain. This is a great moment for us lets not bring it down by acknowledging the Debbie Downers of the ticker! I'm excited!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26