August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. RFO

Enough from the GOP comments hiding behind PUMA credentials.

Leadership is the process of influencing others in such a manner as to accomplish the mission!

Obama/Biden '08

August 26, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  2. susan

Hillary went above and beyond the call of duty tonight, and once again, made me proud to be an American and a woman. I share the feelings of the delegate interviewed on the floor following Hillary's speech. I feel very strongly that I made my choice for president when I voted for Clinton. If Obama wants my vote he has to earn it, and so far, that hasn't happened.

August 26, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  3. mcbush thanks mcclinton

cnn declares clinton the nominee

adn bill the VP

yes, CNN
    your king and queen
    will send payment for the free advertisement

CNN clinton national news

August 26, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  4. Kevin - Jonesboro, GA

Disregarding some of the disillusioned PUMA/Republicans on here, I think that Hillary did a very good job and now I am ready to contribute to help with some of her debt.

August 26, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  5. Rocky

“I want you to ask yourselves: Were you in this campaign just for me?

Or were you in it for that young Marine and others like him? Were you in it for that mom struggling with cancer while raising her kids? Were you in it for that young boy and his mom surviving on the minimum wage? Were you in it for all the people in this country who feel invisible?”

…No way. No how. No McCain.

Barack Obama is my candidate. And he must be our president.”

– Hillary Rodham Clinton DNC 8/26/08

A vote for McCain is a slap to Hillary's face and all of her hard work.

August 26, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  6. Same old politics... from BOTH SIDES

I will say she is a fantastic speaker....

however...

I can see how she would convince someone who doesn't pay attention to anything. Anyone who knows how to think for themselves is aware of all the crap the was mixed into her rhetoric.

I suppose it takes that kind of speech to get her campaign debt paid off.

August 26, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  7. Bonnie

I have been a Clinton supporter......sitting on the fence...I was actually considering NOT voting at all. After tonight I feel it is my duty to vote, despite the fact that my candidate has stepped aside to let someone else's light shine. Lets get behind Barrack.....and change America.

August 26, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  8. Edward M. Magee

Well done Hillary.

The party and the Country is proud of you.

Go Obama

August 26, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  9. ultimo

WE ARE NOT UNITED! PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

August 26, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  10. Matt

It's about time that there was some actual ENERGY and intensity from a speaker- this convention has been a snooze-fest for the most part. Whatever happened to the whole "fierce energy of NOW" meme, anyway?

August 26, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  11. Diamond

I'm a Mike Huckabee supporter and I AM VOTING FOR OBAMA.

Never. Read my lips ... NEVER would I vote for John McInsane

August 26, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  12. DAN MLONE

I HAVE BEEN A DEMOCRAT ALL OF MY 52 YEARS, BUT I WILL NOT VOTE THIS TIME ,BECAUSE SEN. CLINTON IS NOT ON THE TICKET

13. sandee in Portland

She gave a great speech! But, it seems there are still supporters of hers that can say she gave a great speech but didn't really listen or understand what she was saying. If we don't keep McCain out of the White House, it won't matter if Hillary runs in 2012 because by then Amercia will be a third world country.

PUMA'S, TRY USING THAT BRAIN GOD GAVE YOU. And, remember, Hillary didn't write her speech, she read it off a teleprompter just like every other politician and it was written by speech writers.

Go Obama/Biden

14. Marie in California

Hillary gave a spendid speech! Wow! She should be our next president!

However, necessity forces me to vote for McCain this time around because Obama is sadly lacking in credentials, experience, character and judgment. Therefore, in all good conscience, I can't vote for him.

As they say....country first, party second.

Hopefully HIllary will run again in 2012.....and be elected President! I can't wait!

15. Cut-Off-Noses

Unsatisfied PUMA,

You missed the point. Completely. There is no saving you.

Go make an honest voter of yourself and call yourself what you really are: a stealth Republican.

16. james

Barack Obama
    One house
    One spouse

17. alex

wow, the hating on Fox news is laguhable, stop drinking the kool aid. Fox News tells it like it is for both sides.

18. Kay in Arizona

Mr. Gergen,

I could not agree with you more. I’ve been waiting for this Hillary. She stood proud, intelligent, provocative, and one who unified rather than divided. I thought her speech was masterful in stating the reasons she ran and, as well, the reasons she supports Obama. She challenged us by asking, “Were you in it for me or for them?", referencing a Marine, woman with Cancer, etc.

So tastefully done and I can say I am now very proud of Hillary. I pray Bill can deliver more of the same. After a nastily fought and lengthy Primary, Hillary has certainly raised a standard for all marginal Obama supporters to follow.

The Dems are not bitter but better!

19. Robert in Greensboro

There's no doubt Senator Clinton is a brilliant woman who can give a great speech. Nevertheless, there's much more to being a great President than being able to give a great speech. After all, didn't she vote to rubber stamp President Bush's desire to wage war in Iraq? Representative Kucinich for all his wacky antics was right when he said earlier that America needs to "wake up." We need to stop being lured by the siren song of slick politicians and vote on substance, not self-aggrandizing speeches.

20. Arc Rev One

I believe that is the real question. I think Hillary Clinton might of made a great president and still might in the future but the gravity of the situation is we can no longer tolerate business as usual in Washington. If you truly care about the direction we take in the future, it is time to put to rest the differences in the democratic party and unite. 4 more years of republican party rule will be disastrous to the American way of life as we have come to know it. It's that simple.

21. Dready1rasta

NO WAY!!!!

NO HOW!!!!

NOMCCAIN!!!!

How ya like her now Repug losers ?!?!?!?!
    Hillary told you what she thinks of you and your canidate!!!
    How ya like her NOW!!!!!!

22. Lorna, NY

If supporters of Hillary still voice for John McCain, then they were never for Hillary. She gave an incredible speech and if this does not change the minds of the PUMAS, then they will deserve what they get. I have never seen so much unintelligent people, no wonder we are 19th in world literacy. There are a lot of dummies in this country.

23. Ella, TN

Thanks Senator Clinton! I was sure the pundits were working on behalf of the republicans, however, I knew you were a real American first and then a Democrat. Purrfect!

24. Robert Naiditch

Like you, I believe this to have been the up-to-the-moment finest hour for Hillary. I thought that for about two minutes she was softening the ground for a 2016 campaign, but she would be about McCain's age now if she were to run. Maybe she was doing some early campaigning for President Chelsea. No less, there was not a dry eye in the house, I so appreciated everything Hillary has ever done either in or out of office and yes I did vote for Hillary and would again, but I have a job to do, I have to vote in a Democrat as President; I owe it to my country.

The previous baseball metaphore was both true and sadly funny.

25. Gayle

Hilary presented in extremely well. She was genuine. However, there
    are people who are doubt , or are disillusioned, like the last African
    American Women with the Shirley Temple Curls. She missed the
    entire meaning to Hilary's speech. She appeared confused, and in the state of shock. She didn't get the point, that Hilary's speech was not meant to be "Presidential", as the woman said, but a speech to wake the people up, promote unity, and in support of Mr. Obama. There will be other like her, who may avoid voting! It does not follow logic to me.

Gayle