August 26th, 2008

Gergen: Hillary's finest hour

There will no doubt be cynics who thought that she didn't believe what she was saying, just as some cynics thought Michelle Obama last night wasn't the person who appeared on stage. But just as Michelle struck me as authentic last night, Hillary Clinton struck me as authentic tonight. And I have to add, Hillary also struck me as a class act.

Over and over again, I have heard that the Clintons only care about themselves. What we saw tonight is that Hillary Clinton cares a great deal about her party and her country, too. As both Governor Rendell and Candy Crowley have said on the air tonight, she posed exactly the right question to her supporters: were you in this just for me or were you in this for the larger causes? Isn't that the right question for Democrats?

What do you think? Would welcome your thoughts.

1. Obama Supporter

I have, throughout the primaries, been an ardent Obama supporter, but tonight my view of Hillary changed. Tonight I have realized that she is an American hero who will be a champion in the Senate for for all those issues that we as democrats hold so dear to us. Hillary gave the speech of a lifetime on behalf of not just Barack Obama but the future of our country.

Hillary Clinton, thank you for everything. You will be instrumental in moving us forward and reclaiming the American dream.

Obama-Biden '08 and Democrats for Americas Future!

August 26, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  2. Mike

One could see the regret on Michelle Obama's face. WHY WASN'T SHE ON THE TICKET?! She has the energy, drive, and following to win DA!

August 26, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  3. The Blind Lady of Justice

Nice job Hillary ...

now if you and Bill stump with Barack in Appalachia to "unring the bell" for some of the more inflammatory things that you said, I , a long time Barack supporter, would be able to support you in the future.

August 26, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  4. Linda

Simply incredible Hilary...now let's all get together behind Obama. We don't want 4 more years or the last 8 years.

NO WAY, NO HOW, NO MCCAIN!!!!!!!!!

August 26, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  5. Hillary 2012

Hillary want to be President, and she does not want Obama. Obama does not have experience and just because you write great speeched does not make you a great leader. The speech seek to me as thought she had to support Obama, and that she mentioned not one word about Obama experience, because he had none. Hillary 2012 is what going to happen. The analyst need to stop saying what a great speech it was for Obama. It was a speech for Hillary Career not Obama future.

6. Sherrie F.

Hillary's speech tonight has really helped me to heal tremendously!

Thank You and God Bless you Hillary!

August 26, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  7. Experience says Republicans..

What does it matter if he has experience? What good is experience if McCain does everything wrong for this country? Just like Bush... 8 years of bad decisions for this country.. He has proven that experience does not matter if he is not working for the people.... Look at the creator of Microsoft Bill Gates..didnt know crap about building and programing systems but he knew how to hire the people to build the program and the creators the team.. He put them together and made a profitable, Global Giant.... You dont need experience just good judgement... He has proven that the people with good and long experience voted for the war.. The man that did not have experiences voted against the war.... Understand good judgement is what is needed not experience.. and Obama has good judgement...

8. cheryl

just more of the same from a clinton. they can look you in the face and lie to you. this was just a show to cover her rear-end so she can remain viable in politics. i can't believe how many of you felt she was being honest. the truest oxymoron = an honest clinton! how can she even pretend to back obama when she said such vile things about his ability to lead only a couple of months ago? she had high praise for mccain, and now she wants to defeat him? remember folks, she is the one who said obama wasn't prepared to lead and become potus. this is just another dog and pony show from the best in the business! clinton's, please GO AWAY FOREVER!!!

9. Sandy

THE LIMBAUGH FAKES ARE OUT IN FORCE !!!!!!!

Gergen – the Limbaugh "fakes" won't be coming home to the dem party – you all forgot how many there are. They love pill-poppers, they'll vote for McWarmonger and his Botox Barbie (you finish the sentence) .............

10. joe

I am a Hillary supporter who was planning to vote for McCain. I will now grudgingly vote for Obama, and encourage other PUMAs to do the same. (Perhaps after Thursday, my vote will become less "grudging.")

We love you Hillary!

11. Marie in California

No how. No way. No Obama!

12. Scott Ohlmeyer

I can't help to wonder why Hillary wasn't vetted. Obama had the means to vet her, just for the sake of the "UNITY" theme that he wants everyone to believe in. He should of vetted Hillary and still pick Joe Biden. Obama should of also called Hillary after he picked his running mate. Its a slap in the face to 18 million voters. I was with Obama 110% until last Friday when I heard that Hillary wasn't on his "so called short list" Shame on you Senator Obama you might of destoyed the part instead of uniting the party.

13. Mary

This one speech by Senator Clinton was better
    than all the thousands of speeches and millions of words by Senator Obama. She is presidential and he will never be.

I will never vote for a Democratic candidate again and I started in 1960. The democratic party turned to socialism with Obama.

14. Sandra

She is a real Democrat!!!!!!!!!!! She was very much believed. I am an Obama supporter and was skeptical that she would miss a beat, but I must say she made me so proud of her. She was my first choice in the beginning and then I felt she went too negative and I turned my support to Obama. It doesn't matter in the end about your mistakes along the way it matters how you end something. I will vote for her when she runs again and I hope she does.

No way
    No how
    No McCain

Obama/ Biden 08

15. Justin from Boston

I wonder just how many of these "Hillary Supporters from McCain" are actually paid McCain posters.
    I wouldn't doubt it.

If they aren't paid McCain supporters, than they are just plain morons.
    Hillary Clinton was beautiful. I admire her and her cause. What did you not understand about what she said?

I don't want to be drafted. I don't want any more war. I don't want any more American hatred. I don't want any more of my life dictated by false fear. I want a future where the Earth is still beautiful. I want to be certain my body will be taken care of even if my wallet is not. I want my liberties – every last one of them. I want Obama, and you should too.

16. Jeff

I think it's not too little, it was great, but very likely too late.

Definitely doesn't help that the rumor of Bill not attending Thursday came out right as her speech started.

If Obama loses in November, I will still blame the Clintons as much as I will blame him.

17. PA. Dem lady

love hillary.. but not changed my mind, im a puma pa girl, but im going vote for mccain!!!!!!!!!!! hillary 2012

August 26, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  18. Julio

I am recovering still from Hillary's speach.
    I have supported her all throughout her campaign and now, it is time to begin the process–the process of accepting that my investment, as well as millions of other Americans' investment on Hillary, will not blossom in the way we all hoped it would.
    God Bless Hillary Clinton. Forever grateful to her.
    But now, Obama 2008!

August 26, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  19. Anna Rose

It's naive of Dems to think of Hillary negatively – Don't you see?

If Barack is elected, she will have quite a role to play in his presidency! It's so obvious – he needs her experience, since during the Clinton presidency, so much was accomplished... ex. the budget was balanced, remember, and we actually had a surplus (for which congressman argued over the appropriate spending measures)!

August 26, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  20. TJ

Hillary Rodham Clinton gave an exceptional speech! She definitely rose to the occasion and gave the democratic convention want it needed, UNITY!! Hillary Clinton has drawn a line in the sand for her supporters. Time will tell, why they supported Clinton in the primaries.

August 26, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  21. sharon

Hillary delivered a good speech but she certainly didn't endorse the notion that Obama is NOW ready to be president. She gave us a list of reasons why she ran for the presidency and then rubber stamped Obama's name on the end of the list. Tepid at best, I would say.

August 26, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  22. George Korr

Hillary Rossen mispoke! How can she say that John McCain is for alternative energy? While watching CNN I was in disbelief? Wow! We need our commentators to speak consistently. Please?

August 26, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  23. DemCrats

If you still have doubt, so is your future if you not get involved.
    Have complained about foreclosers, gas prices, jobs sent overseas, a family member being laid off, overworked and under paid.? If you answered yes to one or more – YOU SHOULD BE VOTING DEMOCRAT! Nothing will change for the better if a Republican is in the office.

August 26, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  24. Miriam Hyde

Hillary was perfect. She asked her supporters to vote for Barak. They will. On the other hand, her cult-like followers, who are still stupid and stubborn enough to think this election is about Hillary, not America, will still vote for McCain. If this country does to go "hell in a handbasket", it will be their fault.

August 26, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  25. Lindsey

Hillary was fabulous tonight! I hope some of Hillary's supporters who planned to vote for Bush 3 will change their minds and board the Obama train.

August 26, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |