August 26th, 2008

McCain camp revives 3 a.m. ad

CNN

Watch McCain's new 3 a.m. ad.

(CNN) –The 3 a.m. ad is back.

John McCain's campaign is reviving the most famous political commercial of the Democratic primary cycle, launching a new 30-second spot Tuesday that uses footage from Hillary Clinton's original ad and declares "Hillary's right."

Watch: McCain camp revives 3 a.m. ad

The ad, set to run in key battleground states and specifically in Denver this week, also goes a step further than the New York senator's original ad, explicitly detailing the national security threats America faces.

"Uncertainty. Dangerous aggression. Rogue nations. Radicalism," the ad's narrator states as images of tanks and launching missiles flash on screen.

The ad also includes Clinton's attack on Barack Obama in March 2008 in which she declared "I know Senator McCain has a lifetime of experience that he will bring to the White House. And, Senator Obama has a speech he gave in 2002."

The commercial is the fourth Republican ad in the last week to invoke Hillary Clinton's past criticisms of her party's presumptive presidential nominee, and comes the same night the New York senator is set to make a public urge for unity at the Democratic convention.

Speaking to New York Delegates in Denver Monday, Clinton said she did not support Republicans using her past words against Obama.

"I am Hillary Clinton and I do not approve that message," Clinton said Monday when asked about a McCain ad in which a Clinton backer says she will vote for the Arizona Republican.

Clinton's original 3 a.m. ad ran in Texas in the week ahead of that states critical primary is credited in part for her strong performance there. (She won the Texas primary, but lost its caucus.)

1. Carmon Minneapolis MN

If all they have are Hillary's attacks and she didn’t succeed with them then they are pretty pathetic. I almost feel bad for them. They just can’t make anything stick to Obama so now they are trying Hillary's old tricks. Kinda hard to make their party look good when everyday Americans are witnessing there screw ups and how their mistakes are truly affecting us all. I don’t want to here you sorry opinion of how Barrak will maybe handle some call at 3 am in the future but I would like to here how you plan on getting my grocery bill down because I have to kids to feed McCain. Ok I’m listening........................................

August 26, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  2. Ken N. From Alpine

The repubs have every right to use the words of Clinton and Biden. Here is why.

With the exception of Romney, all the other republican candidates had the smarts enough not to say damaging things against McCain during the primaries. They knew that in some fashion their excoriating words would later bite them (and the party) in the butt. Apparently the dems weren't so smart. The democrats will lose the election this fall, and they will have no one but themselves to thank.

August 26, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  3. fred

She was right then and she is still right today. I will vote for Obama but it doesn't change the facts of the campaign and Obama is going to have to address his lack of expierence.

August 26, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  4. Jonathan of Tampa, FL

All you Hillary supporters....look how your girl is being pimped out by The Republicans.. Suddenly she is right...but she was wrong during the primaries. That should be a turn off to the whole, I will vote for McCain because Obama won thing. Don't let yourself get used like a girl at a college party that drank too much and should not have because she is under age. Do the right thing and let's come together to beat the most fear mongering machine there is.

DEMS 08/OBAMA-BIDEN 08

August 26, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  5. Dan, Santo Domingo, DR

Let the scare tactics begin! Should the Americans fall for this crap again, they have no learned any lesson from the past eight years and the world will see you going down in flames for following the same old policies. May God help you all, fellows!

August 26, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  6. Latina for Obama...NJ

BORING!!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

August 26, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  7. Tony

"Old news" "Old man" "Old ideas!"

I'm John McCain and I approved this message.

August 26, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  8. Truth

I REFUSE TO BE SCARED INTO VOTING FOR A REPUBLICAN THIS YEAR. NO MORE, NO MORE!!!!

August 26, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  9. Cindy

I hope Hillary puts John McCain in his place tonight.

August 26, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  10. rightytighty

I'm wasn't ready for Jommy Carter's second term in '80' and I'm still not ready for it in '08'.

August 26, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  11. Greg, San Francisco, CA

First he recycles George Bush's failed policies and now he recycles Hillary Clinton's failed commercials. Does John McCain have any ideas to offer at all?

August 26, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  12. Jim in Orlando

The ad is a bulls-eye. Thank you for the dead-on truth Hillary. As for the condemnation of "fear", get a grip Democrats. I work hard to earn money to provide for my family as I know what will happen if I don't. If that's motivation due to"fear of failing", then so be it.

August 26, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  13. MD FOR OBAMA

Mccain has lost his mind. Can he stick to the issues? nope!

August 26, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  14. Chris

Does McCain have anything other than security to talk about??? he never even won a war or lead an army – just because you put on the uniform doesn't mean you can lead or make good decisions when it comes to security...

August 26, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  15. TO ALL MCCAIN VOTERS

This is beneath Him, but it seems like john mc cain has no control over his campaign tactics, and is just excited ti have been lucky enough to get nominated.

August 26, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  16. Steve

Go John! These are great!

August 26, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  17. sandy

When she said these words, she thought she was going to win the nomination. Thought it was a sure thing, after all she's a Clinton, but now it's coming back to haunt her and the Democratic party. If he looses the general election, blame her and her husband as they are the ones who will have brought down the Democratic party. This is what inflated egos can do. Nice going Hillary!!!

August 26, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  18. Marv...

Fear tactics work. They got bush elected for the second term. Fear of wars that we start, fear of people who worship differently than we do, fear of gays, fear of women who get abortions and fear of the American People becoming united.

Fear tactics work. Just look at the condition of our Country and its people now. Fear tactics have worked very well.

I'm a Christian, but I'm not an Evangelical conservative. Evangelicals have preached that it is sin and disobedient that has caused this country to fall. I believe that also, but I also believe that a good part of that sin is within the churches who have made a habit out of supporting a particular political party in order to force their beliefs upon the rest of the country. Jesus never said follow me or I'll punch you in the eye. He touched the hearts and minds of individuals and established a personal relationship with them. Jesus never needed the laws of mankind to make people love him.

So Evangelical Christians, where do we go from here? Continue with fear tactics of the Republican party, who really don't support your causes and only give you lip services, or roll up your sleeves and do God's work by touching people the way God touched you and not by threats and forcing them to be obedient.

There's no need for fear, but it has worked.

August 26, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  19. JK

I'm John McCain and I plaguerized these tactics. My friends, you were dooped 8 years ago and I sure you can be dooped again. Pay no attention to my policies behind the curtain. I am the great and powerful illusionist.

August 26, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  20. MD FOR OBAMA

If Mc cain likes Hill ary so much then why doesn't he choose her for VP?

August 26, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  21. Kerwin

Thank John McSame here's an excerpt from Michelle Obama to make your day.

"They’ll tell them how this time, we listened to our hopes instead of our fears. How this time, we decided to stop doubting and to start dreaming."

August 26, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  22. Lucy

I love the way the Democrats want to "clense" the statements of individuals like Hillary now that they don't fit the situation. Hillary said it, live with it. Biden said it, live with it. Talk about a lesson in whitewashing the facts. This current crop of DNC rulers are really a piece of work. I am a PUMA and proud of it. This election, I will not sit home like Ms. Pelosi and Mr. Dean would like me to. I will vote and I will proudly vote Republican. And you Obamatrons can continue thinking that I am nothing but a Republican but there are millions of us true Democrats who will vote experience rather than rhetoric. Sort of leaves BHO out in the cold doesn't it??

August 26, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  23. Jean

WHAT A SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 26, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  24. Pat F

"Scare tactics"?

GROW UP! The world is a dangerous place – this isn't Kansas anymore, Dorothy!

August 26, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  25. Malene Dixon

I don't understand why the Democrats get a bad wrap for not being "negative enough." The worst thing about politics is the negativity, yet the media continues to encourage grown-ups to talk badly about each other and focus on negativity. Is this the message that we want to teach our children, that the only way to win is to be negative? When will it be acceptable to run a campaign without focusing on negativity? When the media stop focusing on negativity? Does the ability to make money outweigh the common good? Unfortunately, it appears that it does.

August 26, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |