August 26th, 2008

McCain camp revives 3 a.m. ad

CNN

Watch McCain's new 3 a.m. ad.

(CNN) –The 3 a.m. ad is back.

John McCain's campaign is reviving the most famous political commercial of the Democratic primary cycle, launching a new 30-second spot Tuesday that uses footage from Hillary Clinton's original ad and declares "Hillary's right."

Watch: McCain camp revives 3 a.m. ad

The ad, set to run in key battleground states and specifically in Denver this week, also goes a step further than the New York senator's original ad, explicitly detailing the national security threats America faces.

"Uncertainty. Dangerous aggression. Rogue nations. Radicalism," the ad's narrator states as images of tanks and launching missiles flash on screen.

The ad also includes Clinton's attack on Barack Obama in March 2008 in which she declared "I know Senator McCain has a lifetime of experience that he will bring to the White House. And, Senator Obama has a speech he gave in 2002."

The commercial is the fourth Republican ad in the last week to invoke Hillary Clinton's past criticisms of her party's presumptive presidential nominee, and comes the same night the New York senator is set to make a public urge for unity at the Democratic convention.

Speaking to New York Delegates in Denver Monday, Clinton said she did not support Republicans using her past words against Obama.

"I am Hillary Clinton and I do not approve that message," Clinton said Monday when asked about a McCain ad in which a Clinton backer says she will vote for the Arizona Republican.

Clinton's original 3 a.m. ad ran in Texas in the week ahead of that states critical primary is credited in part for her strong performance there. (She won the Texas primary, but lost its caucus.)

1. Carlos

Why doesn't McCain tap Hillary for his VEEP. She hates Barrack enough to consider it...and since Bill is a "democratic has been" this might give him a chance to start over again with the GOP.

August 26, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  2. GM from MN

Keep up the fear mongering McCain.

LOL!!! THIS WILL BACKFIRE!!!

What an idot....LOL....Hillary got so much grief for this.....you'd think people would pay attention.

August 26, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  3. Rick FL

After the last eight years, I do not trust a Republican administration with our national security, including McCain's misguided judgements. He uses the same ole fearmongering. Not this time.

August 26, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  4. Morningstar

I hate Hillary Clinton with her " If not me, than no one else" politics. Imagine just how foolish it would have been to have her as VP!

August 26, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  5. Robert in Seattle

It's 3 am, how many more negative attacks can McCain, who claimed he would no go negative produce?

August 26, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  6. ben

All you bloggers out there, you have nothing to fear. McCain sent his wife to Geogia. That will solve all our international problems.I didn't know she was already the first lady. What I don't understand is that even if she were first lady, what business does a first lady have to do with national policy?
    McCain didn't go to Georgia. Is it because he knows so little about diplomacy,he might start a war before he even gets to be president?

August 26, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  7. "I BELIEVE"

The republicans are so sad and pitiful, you can smell the desperation.

THERE IS NO HOPE FOR THEM!

August 26, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  8. Spencer from VA

Precisely the reason why Hillary is not the VP.

August 26, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  9. ledel

So, let's ask these questions about McCain: Is he too old to be commander in chief of the most powerful country on earth ? Can he keep up with rapidly changing events in the 21st century ? Can he control his temper under stress? These are the serious questions we all must have about McCain. If we have doubts, then we are tossing the dice on our national security !

August 26, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  10. Billy J -Austin-Tx

That ad was one of many blunders that Hillary's attrocious campaign staff made to help lose the primary to O. (and I still preferred her) Why in the world does McCains group think it will convert anyone who is a democrat into voting for the representative of the republican platform. It is not about whether I think Obama is ready (not as ready as others that ran) or genuine (more genuine than some, less than others) but whether I think the basic premise of the Democratic platform is better or worse than the Republicans. I can't explain how utterly disappointed I am in the current Dem leadership but, I am not a fool. I may be a tool.. to those Dems at the top that use me, but not a fool to be completely ripped off morally and economically by the Republicans.

More populists that don't cheat on their wives please ( I hate the liberal effete that have taken my party at the moment) But! In the meantime, I will be pulling the lever for Obama (or Nader if I think there is no chance of O winning my state)

August 26, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  11. Get a Grip

John McCain appear to be a war monger....I use to think this guy may make a good President....now with this ad and all the other Right wing Republican trash, I do not look up to him as someone that I want as President. He is a yes man just like Bush!!! No mind of his own!!!

August 26, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  12. lol election

If Hillary used the 3am ad against obama and lost

how come McCain is recycling the same old thing?

Good thing about Clinton is she threw everything including the kitchen sink at obama and lost, now McCain is recycling the same Clinton attacks.

Obama has this election in his pocket, mccain offers nothing new except same recycled bull.

August 26, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  13. Lou

See, the Republicans haven't changed. McBush says he is for change but again, their only tactic is "Scare the Heck out of em"! That's not policy, but B.S We have to get out of this Bush mess and Obama is the way!

August 26, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  14. unity

McCain has cashed in every molecule of celebrity that can be redeemed from his POW experience. He's been writing 'bad checks' with war stories and buzzwords for decades now. It's kind of a form of identity theft at this point, because now he's not that brave soldier fighting for truth. He's a greedy and embittered elderly man that fights to remember the truth on a daily basis.

August 26, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  15. Joe PA

Forget 3 in the morning. McCain doesn't work weekends. Being the president is a 24/7 job.

August 26, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  16. T GUY

THE DUMB GUY DOES IT AGAIN FEAR. HOW WILL THE DUMB GUY PROTECT US. BY KILLING OUR YOUNG PEOPLE FOR VERY LITTLE REASONS. AND YES I DID SERVE MY COUNTRY ALSO.

OBAMA......08

August 26, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  17. Chi4Obama

Correct me if I'm wrong,
    But wasn't it John McCain who said that he would NOT go negative during the General Election. So much for that rationale huh?

It seems as if all they ever show is why we should not vote for Obama; as opposed to why we should vote for McCain.These political games are getting old fast.
    As a young first time voter, I care about issues such as :
    1) Ending a pointless war
    2) Fixing the economy (lowering taxes)
    3) Universal Healthcare
    4) Colleget Tuition credits, etc.

As Obama says, let's end the "silly season" in Politics and focus on the real issues.

August 26, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  18. Mary, Dallas

If McCain wins it will have nothing to do with his qualifications but the politics of fear and hatred. John McCain has run his entire campaign blasting Obama. The reason he is doing this is because he has no vision for this country but the same old thing,

It's not like Obama couldn't take comments from republicians and use them in commercials against McCain but that is not his style. I just hope that he isn't giving the American people to much credit. It seems that people like the negative ads inspite of the fact that they deny it.

Wake up America! George played this same game. We must learn from history or we are doomed to repeat it. I don't know about you but I can't afford 4 more years of the same. My pay check cannot keep up with inflation. I am not in the top income bracket, so I can't get all those tax breaks. I watched McCain at one of his townhall meetings and all I could think was surely the American people are not this dumb. If anybody other than John McCain had offered his wife to a motorcycle beauty pageant, the press would have ate them up. John was a POW so he is not responsible for his action. John can't remember how many houses he has but don't critize him because he was a POW. McCain can't remember what he says from day to day but remember he was a POW.

When you put him in the white house and he has flash backs and we end up in another war, who will be to blame? Not John McCain, he was a POW but the American people.

August 26, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  19. One Vote

It is time to end the scare tactics... This one American that is willing to take a stand for what is right. Barack is the candiddate for the future of American... Not the broken past...

OBAMA/ Biden 08....

August 26, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  20. Brian D

If You do not say it ,
    It cannot be repeated.

August 26, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  21. Chi4Obama

BUSH = MCCAIN; MCCAIN = BUSH.

That's a mathmatical certainty 95% of the time.

August 26, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  22. Doug R.

These folks that blindly support (like little sheep) John McCain are ignorant and clueless and out of touch with the real world, like McCain himself is. He has no platform, visions, or ideas for this country. We would not be any safer under a McCain presidency. He's a fraud.

August 26, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  23. David - NYC

Politics of Fear....typical Republicans. No surprise...McBush is just the same old GOP slime......

Please wake up American...we need a change.

Obama/Biden 2008!

August 26, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  24. mr_wizard

The greatest mobilizing fear tactic against the Democrats - Obama could be President if there is NOT unity by knowledgeable and intelligent Americans in the voting booth.

August 26, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |