August 26th, 2008

McCain camp revives 3 a.m. ad

CNN

Watch McCain's new 3 a.m. ad.

(CNN) –The 3 a.m. ad is back.

John McCain's campaign is reviving the most famous political commercial of the Democratic primary cycle, launching a new 30-second spot Tuesday that uses footage from Hillary Clinton's original ad and declares "Hillary's right."

Watch: McCain camp revives 3 a.m. ad

The ad, set to run in key battleground states and specifically in Denver this week, also goes a step further than the New York senator's original ad, explicitly detailing the national security threats America faces.

"Uncertainty. Dangerous aggression. Rogue nations. Radicalism," the ad's narrator states as images of tanks and launching missiles flash on screen.

The ad also includes Clinton's attack on Barack Obama in March 2008 in which she declared "I know Senator McCain has a lifetime of experience that he will bring to the White House. And, Senator Obama has a speech he gave in 2002."

The commercial is the fourth Republican ad in the last week to invoke Hillary Clinton's past criticisms of her party's presumptive presidential nominee, and comes the same night the New York senator is set to make a public urge for unity at the Democratic convention.

Speaking to New York Delegates in Denver Monday, Clinton said she did not support Republicans using her past words against Obama.

"I am Hillary Clinton and I do not approve that message," Clinton said Monday when asked about a McCain ad in which a Clinton backer says she will vote for the Arizona Republican.

Clinton's original 3 a.m. ad ran in Texas in the week ahead of that states critical primary is credited in part for her strong performance there. (She won the Texas primary, but lost its caucus.)

1. Javone

I can see it now. the phone rings at 3 am and Mccain wakes up shell shocked and hits the button to start a war. then when asked to explain his actions his reponse is "I was a POW and I can do and say whatever I want because of that fact. If thousands get killed then so be it. No one knows better than me how far being a POW can take you...even when you're unqualified." then he walks away in his 500 loafers and spins a wheel to decide which of his 7 houses he wants to visit today.

August 26, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  2. Anne E.

Yes, it's 3:00 a.m. - and if a 72-year old man is president, he'll likely be asleep while others govern.

August 26, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  3. Janet WV for Obama

McCain's ads reek of desperation!

August 26, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  4. Vera /AB. Canada

McSANE ARE YOU EVER GETTING DESPERATE , YOUR 3 AM JUST SHOWS THAT YOU SLEEP,DREAM , EAT, & DRINK ABOUT WAR I WOULD NOT WANTING YOU TO TAKE THE 3AM MESSAGE YOU COULD BE HAVING A DREAM AND JUST SAY BOMB THEM.

OBAMA WILL BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT.

August 26, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  5. Linda from Prescott AZ

My goodness, poor John McCain, never had an original thought. Where is this dignified campaign he espoused.
    Perhaps he doesn't remember what happened when in 2000 his womanizing (with Cindy Hensly) and his wife (Cindy's) drug abuse brought him down. His feelings were so hurt. But his politics are just as dirty as W's.
    What a loser.

August 26, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  6. Charlie

McCain is now just a shell of his previous self as he has joined the Dark Side to get the support of the Conservatives. He has broken all of his promises for a clean campaign as "Team Rove" has now taken over. So long "Maverick".

August 26, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  7. dennisk

Of course, if Obama had selected Hillary as his running mate, I'm sure the McCain campaign would be running ads heralding his smart decision. The Republicans have always held the Clintons in such high regard and, after all, McCain is such an honorable and honest guy...

August 26, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  8. Cyrus K.

Democrats have done more damage to themselves than Republicans!! I am sure Biden and Hillary wish they had never spoken nonsense about Obama.

August 26, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  9. KATHLEEN

Vote for McDraft. BOMB, BOMB, BOMB.

I am ashamed of the horrific coverage CNN did last night at the DNC
    convention. James Corville, Cameras on Wolf and Gloria Bolger instead of on stage.

I could not believe that immediately after all the negative comments
    about the Democratic "first night" from Cnn, that immediately after
    Larry King had the GOPS on commenting on how bad the Convention
    was and they literally attacked Michelle Obama's terrific speech. Ben
    Stein, Reagan and that stupid woman. CNN=FOX. as of last night.

August 26, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  10. Praetorian, Fort Myers

Thank you Hillary for pointing out the obvious.

August 26, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  11. McBoob

GOP Strategy: don't sell McCain, sell fear
    It helps George W. stay in the White House for 4 years,
    and now McBush wants another 8...16 years of mcBush ?
    Better make more body bags and folded flags...

August 26, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  12. qualities of candidates

I want a candidate who:
    * believes the government should not dictate, license, or restrict personal relationships
    * believes the US should not be the World Police and that Iraq and Afganistan are mistakes. That we should not subsidize rich countries militaries (Japan, Germany, UK...)
    * believes in smaller government and lower taxes
    * believes that individual responsibility is important and that the free market will trump any government "program" designed to force market economics
    * believes that there are valid arguments for or against abortion, but that it is a deeply personal individual issue that the government should not be involved in.

I've found my candidate...Not McCain, Not Obama!!
    BOB BARR '08

August 26, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  13. Proud to be American

Yes here we go again .... America are you ready? Shall we let them scare us again .... I never voted for Bush EVER! but some of my friends did and they are so sorry about that vote now.... the reason they voted for Bush was because of FEAR... please note what Fear is:

F = False
    E = Evidence
    A = Appearing
    R = Real

FEAR Not a thing and Embrace Change ... after Michelle speach last night I feel so hopeful... I will not let the dark cloud of the repugs spoil my sun shine .... yes we can!

August 26, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  14. BGIV in NC

Can't come up with anything new – well just recycle old stuff and hope that the public is stupid enough to fall for it. Great strategy there McIdiot.

August 26, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  15. Denise

We Will Not be swayed by the Politics of Fear! Not this TIME!! My Vote Is DELIBERATE!
    OBAMA/BIDEN '08

August 26, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  16. smokey

The Ad though negative does demonstrate the follishness of electing someone with such little experience. This is why the polls are so close and why I suspect in November Obama will not win. He isa gifter orator and so is his wife. They are wonderful people but they need more time. Personally, maybe OBama should runagain in 2012.

August 26, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  17. Adrian Veidt

Typical Republican ad: "Fear, fear, fear, terror, terror, doubt, fear, fear, terror, doubt, fear, terror, terror, fear, terror, doubt, fear..."

Please grow up. We are not afraid. =)

August 26, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  18. Robin

I agree on the copyright question....McCain is getting desperate – McCain can't even think up his own ad. He realizes the democrates are coming together and will kick their butt.

August 26, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  19. Dan

What is wrong with you, CNN? It looks like you are one political organization. All your news are Mccain's Ads. It is becoming very biased and boring to read. I was your fan and regular
    visitor when you were real. Now it looks someone is worried among you Dems are United for November.

I wish you come back to be real.

August 26, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  20. DWT

Robert Frost said it best in his poem Primer Lesson...look out how you use proud words. It's a brilliant ploy by someone in the McCain camp, even if it isn't entirely fair. As for legal issues, copyright law states that someone can use a small portion of a copyrighted piece without permission, subject to certain legal qualifications. This also may fall under the satire/parody use of a copyrighted piece. Pretty much the Dems just have to eat this one, and it's up to us to determine whether it is mean spiritied.

August 26, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  21. R.I.F.

Does McCain have ANY policies that he would wish to share with voters? All I hear is why we shouldn't elect Obama and the only reason why he told us why we should vote for him is because his plane got shot down. I guess that experince is going to get us out of the mess that the economy is in. Why doesn't the media demand that McCain presnt voters with his views? All the media does is cheerlead McCain on to this pointless attacks.

August 26, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  22. KATHLEEN

Yes, the GOP Convention will be full of hype and excitement!!!!!!
    I gues CNN doesn't like to cover conventions that don't have
    attack dogs on stage. Now, that is excitement for the Americans!

August 26, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  23. Dave C - NJ

By the way, why should Obama have to pander to "Hillary supporters."
    THEIR PLATFORMS ARE ALMOST IDENTICAL.
    Isn't that enough you twits?

August 26, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  24. NotFallingInLine.org

We need breathing room.

Vote for McHitler!
    Vote for McHitler!
    Vote for McHitler!
    Vote for McHitler!
    Vote for McHitler!
    Vote for McHitler!
    Vote for McHitler!
    Vote for McHitler!

Surge, surge, surge!

August 26, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  25. Jerry

McCain is the worst person to be president why would they show a ad that show terrorist attack,,,,,McCain you are so old and out of touch with American I need to see how can I save my jobs I dont want to see how you a warhead.....CNN need to be boycott..........McCain you are bad news for American.......Hillary is supporting Obama all the way

August 26, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |