August 26th, 2008

McCain camp revives 3 a.m. ad

CNN

Watch McCain's new 3 a.m. ad.

(CNN) –The 3 a.m. ad is back.

John McCain's campaign is reviving the most famous political commercial of the Democratic primary cycle, launching a new 30-second spot Tuesday that uses footage from Hillary Clinton's original ad and declares "Hillary's right."

Watch: McCain camp revives 3 a.m. ad

The ad, set to run in key battleground states and specifically in Denver this week, also goes a step further than the New York senator's original ad, explicitly detailing the national security threats America faces.

"Uncertainty. Dangerous aggression. Rogue nations. Radicalism," the ad's narrator states as images of tanks and launching missiles flash on screen.

The ad also includes Clinton's attack on Barack Obama in March 2008 in which she declared "I know Senator McCain has a lifetime of experience that he will bring to the White House. And, Senator Obama has a speech he gave in 2002."

The commercial is the fourth Republican ad in the last week to invoke Hillary Clinton's past criticisms of her party's presumptive presidential nominee, and comes the same night the New York senator is set to make a public urge for unity at the Democratic convention.

Speaking to New York Delegates in Denver Monday, Clinton said she did not support Republicans using her past words against Obama.

"I am Hillary Clinton and I do not approve that message," Clinton said Monday when asked about a McCain ad in which a Clinton backer says she will vote for the Arizona Republican.

Clinton's original 3 a.m. ad ran in Texas in the week ahead of that states critical primary is credited in part for her strong performance there. (She won the Texas primary, but lost its caucus.)

1. D R

I bet this crazy old man wants to be on that phone at 3:00am. The hate he harbors after being a POW will give him a quick trigger finger. If America wants to end the world with WW3, this senile bugger is your man! This country has way too many hate groups to allow Obama a chance. I have an ugly feeling that they will never let Obama serve.

August 26, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  2. shamous mc

Vote McCain, emperor of the New Roman Empire.

Can he for once focus on internal issues as the economy instead of the war drums.

August 26, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  3. Tamika, OK

I can't believe that McCain really thinks he can win over Clinton supporters while being so disrespectful of Hillary Clinton.

August 26, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  4. Quinn - Houston, Texas

"If you don't vote for me, terrorists will come get you."

I am John McCain and I approve the fear-mongering in this message.

August 26, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  5. R.I.F.

Question: If McCain is going to keep using the "POW" card to deflect any attacks on him then why is it not fair for someone like Wes Clark to call into questions that it is not a qualifcation to become President? The media won't allow anyone to touch his service and he uses it repeatedly in defendinfg himself. Seems a bit unfair to me.

August 26, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  6. J.M. Missouri

well at least it is not hear say... Clinton said things about Barrack, like it or not... the only common ground I see her and Barrack belong to the same party.. and that seems to be the only interest of the two..and her hopeful thinking on her part she might get chosen for VP.. that was shot down...now what??? She has a career to protect and a future white house career at that... all she is stuck with is so call "OH lets unite the party". I am happy to see ads that are not opinions or hear say... I say show it for what it is..Let the facts speak!

August 26, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  7. Wynter

Can McPain get his own ad team to come up with an original idea. Especially one that has been tried and fell flat? Must be good to be rich and to have no new ideas.

Wynter

August 26, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  8. Eric

The politics of fear, offered to you by McCain. When you do not have any solution to offer to the American people, you're left trying to scare them.

August 26, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  9. Rudy NYC

Can you see it now?

Can you see why Hillary made it impossible to select her as VP?

August 26, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  10. Shrimp Barnicles, NY

"I am John Mc Bush and I am ashamed of this message". Please bear with me. I have nothing to run on this year. Bush has destroyed my party and so I am heading for the low road with my Double Talk Express [DTE]. Care to join?

August 26, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  11. Dave

Once again, McCain proves himself a liar. He repeatedly claimed that he was going to run a clean campaign, and he's done anything but. He's also embraced figures he once denounced (Falwell and Dobson), he misled the American people with his infamous "walk through Baghdad," and he's flopped on every position that had earned him a "maverick" title. John McCain hasn't kept his word about ANYTHING in the past several years. We'd be incredibly foolish to let such a dishonest man in the White House. His word means NOTHING.

August 26, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  12. Greg Pottstown, Pa.

If McCain says anything about national security it is a fear tactic,but when Obama uses terms like bushes third term it is not fear tactics. When people posting hear say things like Mcwar or a vote for McCain is a vote for the draft. That is not fear tactics. You dems are such hypocrites.

August 26, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  13. Cynthia

What is Senator McCain trying to hide. All he seems to know is attack attack. We would rather hear what he plans to do for the country.

August 26, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  14. Robert Resch

I seem to remember anti (and unfair) McCain ads endorsed by George W Bush handlers during the Republican primaries in 2000. I would hate to see those old ads recycled and run again. Strangely, the Bush handlers responsible for that negative campaign against McCain are the same handlers (or at least their former trainees) currently working for McCain.

I wish all would stick to the important issues and scrap the petty nonsense.

August 26, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  15. ChuckinIN

How entertaining – every time I think about using this news service for information, I come across commentaries like these – reaffirming what I already know.

Well just be advised that the democrats can't buy the election and the people – true Americans – are seeing the light. Next, we'll take on the Republicans and get them back in line too.

August 26, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  16. AA

It's 3am and McCain can't find his dentures.

He answers his shoe.

Just surge them he says, I know how to win wars because I was a POW.

Peace.

August 26, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  17. ltd1974

For all those Hillary supporters who is talking about voting for McCain, Look how the McCain camp using Hillary. Wow! just Wow!

August 26, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  18. Joe Reg

I am McCain and I do not know the answer to that. So, I will ask my staff. Doomed, doomed, doomed.

Landslide Dems.

Obama/Biden 08.

August 26, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  19. Farrell, Houston, Tx

IT'S FEAR AND FALSE PROPAGANDA. WILL SOMEBODY TELL MCCAIN THIS IS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICAN AND IT ATTACKS THE CORE OF OUR FREEDOM TO SPREAD FEAR AND FALSE PROPAGANDA.

August 26, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  20. ran

Fear and more fear that is all Mcain and the Republicans can deliever.

People vote Democrats and Obama/Biden so we can get our country back and stop all the fear.

August 26, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  21. Wynter

Do some research... that WASN'T a Clinton backer. It was a McCain Campaign Staffer.

August 26, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  22. Michelle

Ha ha ha

Even prominent Democrats think that Obama is unqualified!

August 26, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  23. jam.jam

I am with Eric. I hope Mcsame wins so that all of these idiots who keep posting about how they'll vote for Mcsame since Clinton is'nt running have something to whine about for another four years.

August 26, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  24. Chris - Hemet, Ca.

Hey, it's nostalgia time! It's the old Bush "the boogie man's gonna get you if you don't vote for me" routine. Didn't most of us fall for that once........or twice? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

August 26, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  25. Rudy NYC

This why Clinton was not considered for VP.

She did this to herself. A lack of vision. No Plan B. That's why she lost the primaries. That's why she would make a poor choice as POTUS. Not looking at situations from all perspectives, just the rosy one she wants to paint for herself.

August 26, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |