August 26th, 2008

Schneider: A tough speech from a tough woman

ALT TEXT

Convention delegates greeted Clinton with a standing ovation. (Photo credit: Getty Images)
DENVER (CNN) - "Four more years of the last eight years." That’s a strong effort to refocus this campaign as a referendum on the Bush record. And to make the case that McCain equals Bush. These delegates are thrilled. The election has been in danger of becoming a referendum on Obama instead of the Bush record.

Watch: Hillary Clinton says 'It's time to unite'

Hillary’s speech is what used to be called a spellbinder. Or a stem-winder. Whatever.

This woman is tough. She burnished that reputation in the campaign. She never stopped fighting and never gave up - and drew enormous admiration for it.

A lot of Democrats wonder if Obama is this tough.

1. Texas Witch Twister

Hillary showed tonight why she should be the President of the United States. No speech since JFK's speech has ever come close to her production tonight. Even though she poured her heart into uniting the Democrats. I am afraid us supporters of hers have crossed way too far over to come back now to support a bum as OBAMA. We will never support him and his ungracious supporters.

August 26, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  2. jsb

Obama is plenty tough. I love him because he'd rather take the high road but I'm guessing if the Republicans get him in the gutter they will regret it.

August 26, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  3. Former Clinton Supporter for Obama

Thank you Hillary for a beautiful and inspiring speech. You've brought us back together again as a family that is ready to take this country back!

August 26, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  4. Nicholas

A lot of Democrats wonder that or a lot of media executives who want to exploit any possible way to get higher ratings?

August 26, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  5. Fred

I will vote for Barack Obama, just like Hillary.

August 26, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  6. Dan J

Her speech has proven the fact that Obama made his first major screw-up by not picking her. It's gonna be darn near impossible for anyone to trust his decision-making skills after this electrifying speech.

August 26, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  7. Mc Blogger

It is gonna be hard. But The truth is we have to vote for Obama. The only other option is utter failure. I think with the Clintons help he will be an ok president.

August 26, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  8. Sarge Buffalo

Moments after Hillary demands unity, Schneider keeps playing the disunity card. "A lot of Democrats wonder if Obama is that tough."
    Obama=weak.
    Schneider once again chases Karl Rove's stick and lays it at his feet, panting.
    Really, really sad.
    And yes, Hillary was magnificent.

August 26, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  9. josar

i would vote for idi amine
    but i will not vote for salama

August 26, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  10. NVH

She did and said what she had to, i still don't trust the clintons.

August 26, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  11. Mark

I have been an Obama supporter all along, and I have certainly been critical of Hillary, but I must say-

GOD BLESS YOU HILLARY, that was a great speech. I can now honestly call myself a HIllary supporter. That was gracious, heartfelt, and right on the money. I was moved by your speech, and I think you helped the Democrats to find their voice in this convention. I hope all Democrats heard this speech and took it to heart. Look out John McCain!

August 26, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  12. Ian MacIsaac

From a longtime Obama supporter, good job, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton. I am proud to have you in the Democratic Party.

August 26, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  13. Ramesh Shrestha

I love the Democratic spirit of Unity. Obama will definitely be a great president, in line with those great ones we have had in history. Lets not emulate the old and dead ones, lets hail victory for a great president in making.

Obama 08.

August 26, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  14. aliou FL

4 more years of Bush/Karl Rove doctrine is much worse if applied by mcain. HE is turning out to be more idiotic than Bush was, first of all for hiring Rove's hired hands to devise his policies and tactics.

I can't believe McCain would hire his own swift boaters to swifboat his opponent.

Thatis the dumbest thing I have ever seen. I thought McCain lost his mind in viet as repuks like to give as an excuse for why he abandonned his wife. But I didn't know he simply became insane.

August 26, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  15. Tim N.

The Democrats took the tougher road here. Hillary would've easily won the general election. Now, they're in a real fight.

Her speech was excellent...for her benefit...she never implored her ardent supporters to really put their weight behind Obama. She said she supports him but didn't put her full force behind him.

August 26, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  16. ALLAN USA

Nothing change. NO HRC -- NO obama. He is kids staff. I would 't hire him to be ceo any small co.

August 26, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  17. Wisconsin

WE HAVE AN EVIL TO FIGHT AND IT'S NAME IS JOHN MCCAIN!

August 26, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  18. Jim Wagner

Another reason I am so proud to have supported her with money and as a volunteer. A tough act to follow, I'd say.

I am glad she has such a loving daughter and so many millions of supporters, and I know we will be there for her, watching her back, for years to come.

August 26, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  19. MK

Hillary beats Obama hands down. She may be speaking on behalf of Obama, but Obama is Obama. He is inexperience, and empty-headed. Hillary cannot change that fact with her endorsement. Obama is going to lose the Presidential election. Too bad, the Dems squandered their chance to win back the Presidency. Hillary proved once again that she is the best candidate.

August 26, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  20. Marc PDX

No, Obama does not come off as this strong. That's part of the problem with him. He seems over his head (jimmy carter) in the middle of all of this. We'll wait for him in his stadium on Thursday to see how he stacks up. But I suspect it will be windmills and unicorns again.

August 26, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  21. Reality

SHE DID WHAT SHE NEEDED TO DO. I JUST HOPE ITS ENOUGH TO CONVINCE ALL OF HER FOLLOWERS THAT VOTING FOR MCCAIN IS AGAINST ALL OF THEIR PERSONAL INTERESTS AND THIS COUNTRIES INTERESTS. OBAMA WILL DO THE JOB RIGHT AND WILL BE A GRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT PRESIDENT FOR THIS COUNTRY AND EVERYONE INSIDE OF IT :)

OBAMA / BIDEN 2008

August 26, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  22. Andrea, California

Should have been her. Completely.

August 26, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  23. Fight hard now , lots of people want a fighter.

I hope those republican who voted for Hillary will realize now that she mean business in supporting Obama. So, if you are a real democrat who voted for Hillary Clinton, you have to ask yourself the question she asked you. Did you just voted for her in the primary or you voted for her because of the issues that matters to you?

No voted wasted die haerted supports, now the ball is in your court. if you are really democrats you most follow her that she will way to support Obama. God Bless you.

August 26, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  24. sacto joe

THANK YOU, SENATOR CLINTON!!!

GO BAMA!

August 26, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  25. Mark

I am a democrat who will vote for ~Maverick McCain 08~.......Why is it so hard for the DNC to understand that AMERICA CANNOT AFFORD AN UN-EXPERIENCED, UNKNOWN, UNQUALIFIED, TRY OUT WANNABE PRESIDENT THAT REQUIRES ON THE JOB TRAINING!!!!
    NOBAMA!