August 26th, 2008

Schneider: A tough speech from a tough woman

ALT TEXT

Convention delegates greeted Clinton with a standing ovation. (Photo credit: Getty Images)
DENVER (CNN) - "Four more years of the last eight years." That’s a strong effort to refocus this campaign as a referendum on the Bush record. And to make the case that McCain equals Bush. These delegates are thrilled. The election has been in danger of becoming a referendum on Obama instead of the Bush record.

Watch: Hillary Clinton says 'It's time to unite'

Hillary’s speech is what used to be called a spellbinder. Or a stem-winder. Whatever.

This woman is tough. She burnished that reputation in the campaign. She never stopped fighting and never gave up - and drew enormous admiration for it.

A lot of Democrats wonder if Obama is this tough.

1. ClockWorkOrange

I just saw Hillary's speech. If Obama loses, his supporters can't blame Hillary. It's time to man up and take responsibility for their candidate's performance at this point. If he doesn't get a bump in the polls after the convention it's nobody's fault but Obama's (and the people who voted for him in the primary).

Buyer's remorse, anyone?

August 26, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  2. American

POW !!! TAKE THAT PUMAS.....LOL

Great speech Mrs. Clinton.....Bravo!

Democrats Unite!

No way......No how.....No McCain!

Thank you Hillary.

Obama/Biden '08!

August 26, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  3. Learn and THEN Speak

for anyone that heard that speech, is a true democrat (supports the parties policies) and was a hillary supporter:

If you are still stating you are supporting McCain, there is no other excuse other than you are a racist. Point blank. which is fine, except your racial injustices and support McCain. 60 % of such anyhow.

August 26, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  4. Robert C

Amazing speech. I got chills - beautifully delivered. This is the best I've ever seen Hillary.

As for those Hillary supporters who still say they are voting for McCain, I (and I believe she would) say you were never truly Hillary supporters at all. She sees the big picture. She understands what is at stake and the terrific danger in McCain as president vs. Barack.

Get past the person, focus on the politics.

If you were for Hillary, you are for Obama.

August 26, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  5. Mack

Obama should dump Biden now.....Hillary just saved the democratic party. We will follow...but she should be leading. Hillary proved tonight why she should have been our nominee. Now Obama has to step up.

August 26, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  6. aware

Hillary is the best! :)

The faces of many delegates showed buyers remorse as they listened to the woman who should be president!

Obama will lose but it won't be Hillary's fault! :)

August 26, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  7. Gail

As a woman who has voted every election in her adult life, I am sitting out this election and not exercising my right to vote. I do hope a year and half from now we all go back and listen to everything that has been said, Democrat or Repulican, it's all hot air just to get elected. Very sad.

August 26, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  8. THE REPUBLICAN PARTY ARE AGENTS FROM HELL

Hillary did a good job tonight! What I like the most is when she asked where you in this just for me? It really should have made all realize that even she realize this is bigger than her and her supporter's angry feelings.

August 26, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  9. dustin

the fake hillary-turned-mccain supporters on this site aren't even mildly amusing. be creative, won't you?

August 26, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  10. Mike Bulmer

Anyone who believes Clinton is still in this for herself needs to wake up. Her message was delivered with unmistakable sincerity. She knows Obama has the same vision of the future of this country that she does, and anyone at this point who is still too wrapped up in their own selfish feelings deserves far, far less.

11. Chris, Denver

If you watched this speech tonight and you still don't support Obama, then you never truly were a Clinton supporter. How could she possibly have been more clear: Obama is her candidate, and he must become president.

No way. No how. No McCain!

12. Eric De La Torre

Obama is weak and America will realize this when McCain wins in November. I will not vote for McCain but I will not vote Obama either, neither will my family, or the Rio Grande Valley. We're looking forward to Hillary 2012!

13. HoldenLitgo

Brilliant. Keep going.

14. John from LA

BUYERS REMORSE!!!!-DNC you "selected" the wrong candidate!!!-HRC will always deliver!!!

15. Miriam Hyde

Had Hillary been as focused and this good throughout her campaign, I may have continued supporting her. It must have been exceptionally hard to say those words. Gotta give it to her – she said all the right things, acknowledged everyone, and did it in a magnificent way.

My only prayer is that she got thru to the lunkheads who still say they will vote for McCain rather than Obama.

No way. no how, no McCain. Four more months!

August 26, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  16. Democrats Unite - Obama/ Biden 08!! Whoop whoop!!! :-)

ML August 26th, 2008 11:18 pm ET
    It was a great speech! I have a feeling that some people are regretting their vote for Obama right about now.
    Although I was a Hillary supporter and I appreciated her speech, I am still voting McCain.

Its sad that you are still bitter.... Are you seriously ready to take 4 more years of BUSH/Mccain?? Trust me I dont think you want that. Let it goooo.... VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN 08!!!

17. Van

ML you were NEVER a Hillary supporter.

If you were you would trust her judgment.

Thank you Hillary for putting some sense into these PUMAs.

18. Sheila

So? Will we change channels on the next journalist who tries to convince us that Hillary Clinton doesn't really care who wins the election? Will we give that journalist the time of day when they try to convince us that Hillary secretly wants Obama to lose so she can run again in four years. I'm watching a lot less of those journalists these days because they aren't reporting news. They're not reporting facts. They're not reporting what the vast majority of Americans believe. They're trying to dramatize democracy and turn it into a ridiculous soap opera. They're trying to justify 24/7 journablabber. They're trying to convince you that what they think is what is. It's not.
    Hillary Clinton loves this country or she wouldn't have bothered with her speech. She wouldn't have delivered it with such conviction.
    So ALL YOU BIG MOUTH tv news people – Leave her alone and stop criticizing her. We've had our fill of that.

19. Louise in CA

This is a real leader. If only the Democratic Party hadn't short-changed her with their punishment of Florida and Michigan, we'd have a candidate who could really be ready for the White House, not some inexperienced newby with a knack for rhetoric. I'm so disappointed in this whole political mess. I'm a life-long Democrat who can hardly stand my own party anymore.

20. Kate

Hillary did a great job!! She has realized that we the people wanted Obama, and the he will be the next president. I'm glad she has come to realize it and will help us out. Thank you Hillary! Now all of us democrats MUST unite!

So let me say....
    Bill Schneider is terribly annoying! Can be any more biased towards the Clintons and McCain?? Thanks to people like him who are manipulating media stories to go against Obama, we Democrats might lose an election because of people like him who want us to seperate..

STOP MANIPULATING THE NEWS WITH YOUR BIASED REPORTING BILL SCHNEIDER!!! EVERY TIME I SEE YOU ON TV YOU MAKE ME SICK TO MY STOMACH WITH HOW UNPROFESSINAL YOU ARE!!

I think my 10 year old cousin would be a better journalist than you. LETS SEE IF YOU POST THIS CNN!!

OBAMA AND BIDEN 2008!!!!!!!!! WE WILL WIN BACK THE WHITE HOUSE!!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! DEMOCRATS UNITE!

21. Shannon

What a great speech! As an Obama supporter I thank Hillary for that wonderful speech!! Thank you Senator Hillary Clinton!!

22. Frank in NYC

Oh my god the woman delegate that they got to speak about Hillary is a nut job!! Oh my god CNN is hilarious

August 26, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  23. Terry, NJ

Yep. Her speech was apparent that she was the one who should have been the nominee. Love u Hillary! Sorry though, I still can't vote for the empty suit! For you though, I'd vote for you ANY day!!!

Hillary! Hillary!! Hillary!!
    NOBAMA!!!!

August 26, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  24. TC in Ohio

Hillary did her thing! She is definately a fighter! It took alot of courage to do what she did tonight. Hats off to Hillary! She will play a key role in Obama's administration.

August 26, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  25. josar

i would vote for o.j
    but i will not vote for salamma

August 26, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |