August 27th, 2008

Bill Clinton to take center stage at Democratic convention

Close attention will be paid to what former President Clinton says about Barack Obama.

(CNN) – Sen. Joe Biden will make his first appearance before the Democratic National Convention as his party's vice presidential nominee Wednesday night, but the real drama of the evening may come from former President Clinton and what he says about Sen. Barack Obama.

"I think things are actually progressing better than maybe some of us might have thought in terms of the relationship between the two of them," said Paul Begala, a Democratic strategist and CNN contributor.

"They haven't known each other very well or very long. And Sen. Obama ran against his wife, and there's still some bruised feelings, but I think the president and Sen. Obama are trying very hard to reach across that divide."

As the Democrats gather for their third day in Denver, the theme of the night will be national security, an issue traditionally owned by the Republicans. Some of the Democrats' most experienced statesmen are expected to argue that Obama is the best candidate to strengthen America's national security.

Full story

1. Steve

He was considered the first black man in the White House and now it's time for him to show his appreciation to Black American and the Democratic Party for their tremendous support. Without it and them he would have never won the White House twice.

Do the right thin Bill.

August 27, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  2. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

If Bill Clinton doesn't do something to support Obama in his speech, that could hurt Hillary Clinton's chances of running in either 2016 (or 2012 if Obama doesn't make it). He is the one that needs to get over the loss of Hillary to Obama for the nomination the most. If he can't do that, it could be a drag on the party.

August 27, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  3. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Go get them Bill. Democrats don't have to use fear and negative attack ads, we have the ability to communicate on various issues. McCain's inability to intelligently communicate is lacking and that's why he has to use negative ads. Democrats and Americans aren't buying into the same of McCain, Bush, Rove scare tactics.

August 27, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  4. Moderate Republican Supporting Obama

Of course, things are much better that what the media portrays. All the media is out to do is instigate tensions between the two camps. And, this story is just one more example of this. The highlight of tonight should be Joe Biden, not Bill Clinton, yet all the media can talk about is Bill Clinton.

August 27, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  5. Yeah Right

That ought to be inspirational.......NOT.

Bill had a temper tantrums because he wasn't being treated with respect....let me ask you this....did he act with respect. The whole Hill Billie show last night was over the top. For God's sake a video of Hillary and why in the heck would she choose to showcase that cackle of hers. Bill won't stay for the FIRST real black American's acceptance speech when all his political career he pretended to be so worried about black voters...oh that's right only when election time rolled around. Give me a break. BTY, I'm white.

Bill can go...just wish he would take his lying wife with him. You know the one who talked about herself and HER campaign last night. The one who never personally endorsed the next President.

August 27, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  6. Kenneth F

I have heard it said that we lived with Bush and we can live with McCain. What a low bar to reach for. If you cared about Hillary you would send her a $ and vote for Obama.

August 27, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  7. stefan

Why didn't Obama nominate his wife for VP? she's got a background at least as good as his and then you could still make history.

Why is bill clinton still hanging around and why is the DNC letting him talk? should go home and pay his wife's Bills.

August 27, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  8. Adam Jones

The Clintons will both make their speeches. Then let's pay attention to their actions between now and November. Actions speak louder than words.

I have no kind words for the Clintons. I remember the Clinton years, and frankly folks, they weren't that great. Bill Clinton opened the Mexican border wide, signed in H1 and L1 legislation, and also signed NAFTA. That's why we have so may people unemployed here now, especially in computers and IT, and why we continue to lose millions of jobs every year. Thank Bill Clinton – and his wife, who brought the #1 outsourcer of US jobs to India into NY, as one of her first acts as NY senator.

August 27, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  9. precious

And if Sen. Barack Obama wins the Presidency, and everything starts falling apart, Sen. Hillary Clinton can stand up and say "I did what you all asked of me, I did it with pride, unity and for America, but I could not have given Sen. Obama the experience he needed to run America".

I listened to Sen. Clinton's speech, but it will not be her speech that drives me to the poll in November to vote "Sen. Obama", it will be my own belief of who and what Sen. Barack Obama can and will bring to the table. I can always be satified with a "little", but I refuse to give up much for "less".

God Bless us ALL!

August 27, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  10. precious

When Michele Obama was asked "If Hillary wins, would you vote for her", Michele Obama replied, "I would have to think about it". When Obama was winning in the primary, his arrogance was that he did not need the CLINTONS. His arrogance was that America needed him, not the clintons, not the bush, anymore", and only he (Obama) can bring "change" to America". I still want to know "what change".?

Here is a man who talks about "unity" and coming together, but was not willing to share any time or space in the White House with any "Clinton". He wanted the spotlight all to himself. Sen. Hillary Clinton is and was well prepared for the "Presidency" and/or "Vice Presidency" of the United States", and Sen. Barack Obama could have been a little more patient and wait a few more years and/or join with Hillary as "Vice President". But sometimes "arrogance and impatience" gets the best of us!

I wonder what tomorrow holds!

August 27, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  11. Turnabout is Fair Play

I agree, Davonne from Atlanta. She, at the least, could have said something along those lines to let her supporters know that it wasn't meant to be personal, just business but she did not and the Repugnicans picked right up on it and are using it right now.

August 27, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  12. Debby

I can't wait and tonight the icing on the cake for this convention. Biden will be a bore to listen to so after Bill Clinton I can tune out.

August 27, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  13. Stacey

During Bill Clintons speech:

Bill: I did this
    Bill: I did that
    Bill: Hillary should have won
    Bill: I did this
    Bill: I did that
    Bill: Hillary should have won

August 27, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  14. Eileen

All the Dems have is slogans. Leaders should be strong in any world. Bill was right Obama is living in fairy land and is too weak. It's not negative if its true.

August 27, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  15. Master Yoda

Still glad I never voted for him, am I.

August 27, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  16. Praetorian, Fort Myers

I'm sure he will provide an appropriate speech to the event.

Regardless of his own few shortcomings in national security–he will attempt to paint Obama as a strong philosophical diplomate and peace maker–which means zip to Al Qaeda, Russia, China, Iran, N. Korea.

August 27, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  17. mayahh

Bill delivered before, and will do it again, HIS WIFE clearly stated that McCain and Bush are TWINS... I find that entertaining... Laugh of the century...money and booze..

August 27, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |