August 27th, 2008

Bill Clinton to take center stage at Democratic convention

Close attention will be paid to what former President Clinton says about Barack Obama.

(CNN) – Sen. Joe Biden will make his first appearance before the Democratic National Convention as his party's vice presidential nominee Wednesday night, but the real drama of the evening may come from former President Clinton and what he says about Sen. Barack Obama.

"I think things are actually progressing better than maybe some of us might have thought in terms of the relationship between the two of them," said Paul Begala, a Democratic strategist and CNN contributor.

"They haven't known each other very well or very long. And Sen. Obama ran against his wife, and there's still some bruised feelings, but I think the president and Sen. Obama are trying very hard to reach across that divide."

As the Democrats gather for their third day in Denver, the theme of the night will be national security, an issue traditionally owned by the Republicans. Some of the Democrats' most experienced statesmen are expected to argue that Obama is the best candidate to strengthen America's national security.

Full story

1. Anna

Here comes the Entertainment gig!
    I really can't wait.

I have to say I am glad that Bill is not going out of his way to pretend he isn't mad. It shows a genuinity that doesn't exist in politics.

You don't have to watch your back with Bill.
    He'll say it to your face, not to worry.

Bill and Hill, loved you since 1992 and still true blue!

August 27, 2008 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  2. Davonne from Atlanta

It's a bit of a shame that we're still talking about unity at this stage of the game....but hillary's peoples need to get over this feeling of ander that they lost,..thery're acting like 3 yr old children....and while clinton's speech was good,..i think she could've done more to plug Obama...i know that these speeches are scripted, but to squash some of those McCains ads with her criticizing Obama, she could've stated something along the lines of.."the way me & barack debated was symbolic of a brother & sister spat nothing more".....just something from the gut and real instead of all this political crap...

August 27, 2008 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  3. Obama 08 & 12

Whatever. Too much has been said in the past and recently for it to have any validity. I'm anxiously waiting Senator Obama's speech.

August 27, 2008 07:51 am at 7:51 am |
  4. fa

4 more months. No way. No how. No McCain

August 27, 2008 07:51 am at 7:51 am |
  5. Jeff

It's a mystery to me why the Clintons would campaign at all for Obama. The Clintons were the future of the nation. Obama is a mistake waiting to happen. All of the idiot twenty-something’s that crowded the primary polls to support Obama have not yet had the experience of the real world. They live in their little ivory towers and pretend to understand how the world works. Idealism and fairy tales were the driving force behind the Obama nomination, not common sense and intelligence. These people have not yet had to worry about putting food on the table for a family, or worry about the economy in general. Hubris hangs on Obama like a cheap suit. I am ashamed of my party and will be staying home in November for the first time in my life. Then I will sit back and watch the clowns perform.

August 27, 2008 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  6. maurice

To me last night showed with certainty that Hillary would have
    been the right choice.Ofcourse she wants her party to win
    but its painfully obvious that Obama isn`t ready to lead.

August 27, 2008 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  7. Mark M

Hillary was denied the nomination for one reason: her sex. I hope Bill calls the party's hand on this and denies his support to Obama.

I have voted Democrat all my life but since the Democrats refused to nominate Hillary I will be voting for McCain and I believe thousands will join me.

August 27, 2008 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  8. larry wi

When it comes to National Security there is no way in hell Clinton or any Democrat can convince the people that Nobama has what it takes to make appropriate decisions to protect us. Ultimately this will be his primary failure in his Presidential endevor.

August 27, 2008 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  9. kathy in ohio

lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvve him and love hillary i was one last night with tears in my eyes with her speach. Not that she convinced me to vote obama. she just reminded us what a great loss we have suffered not giving her the nomination. i will wait 4 yrs and vote for her in 2012 this year it will be mccain for me.

August 27, 2008 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  10. The US abolishes century old clinton dynasty

oh lord
    here we go i thought the dynasty was abolished, but the DNC is so fearful of the clintons
    that they must give them center state

who cares, anyway,

they handed the presidency to Mccain in a silver platter
    as billy boo says

if not us, none, ... and of course that is what he thinks

but we thank the clintons from the bottom of our hearts, you just did our work

hillary barely mentioned Obama
    it was all about herself.

wonderful

so again we will not let her win EVER

McCain 08 12

August 27, 2008 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  11. Deb, Allentown, PA

With the exception of Jack Cafferty, who makes no bones about whom he is supporting, CNN is so very obviously slanted toward McCain that the network is beginning to give Faux News a run for their money. I'm extremely disappointed in the coverage of the convention, and the negative spin attributed to every piece of it. I've turned to MSNBC and C-Span for complete coverage; the only reason I don't go there for online news is because they don't permit comments on their articles.

There have been wonderful lines delivered by almost every speaker at this convention (with the exception of Warner), and CNN pays very little attention to them. When they do post something about them, they open up the item on the ticker and then close the article for comments almost immediately. Is CNN afraid of the positive responses you might see for Obama and the Democrats?

It will be interesting to see if this is posted. I will not hold my breath.

August 27, 2008 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  12. beevee

I hope he will get over the disappointment of the loss of Hillary in the primaries and uses his political genius to get Obama elected.

August 27, 2008 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  13. Ohio

Bill Clinton will deliver a great speech tonight as always and as his wife did – it really bothers me that all think the Clintons have to get behind Barack – Kennedy in 1980 although President Carter still maintained a commanding lead, Kennedy did not drop out of the race, or endorse I said ENDORSE Carter. Hmm sounds familar. he instead took HIS delegates to the convention so to have more leverage in the forming of the party platform. – IT IS NOT UP TO THE CLINTONS TO GET THE VOTES FOR BARACK it is up to Barack – if he does not win it is not the Clintons fault – I am so tired of hearing CNN talk the garbage they do about the Clintons – what all other politicians can have their view but the clintons can not – I will be voting for barack – but I wish I was voting for Hiliary

August 27, 2008 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  14. Tim

No way, No How, No McCain!!!

August 27, 2008 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  15. East Coast Bum

Hillary did alot for me last night. I much more respect for her than her old man Bill. I hope he gets it right, but I will have to wait and see.

Again Hillary was awesome last night......i feel united now, no longer worried about the rouge PUMA folks.

August 27, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  16. Richard Khan

CNN..please post my comment...

Will the media finally leave the Clintons alone of this week. People keep saying that this election isn't about Bill and Hilary Clinton, but the media can't seem to stop talking about them. Obviously Bill Clinton is news, unlike Obama, Mcain, Bush and Biden, Bill Clinton is news even if he isn't in the spot light. I like the fact that the media find things to say negative about Clinton, and these other guys that I mention especially President Bush who has a 30% approval rating, the media don't mention this at all. Bill Clinton is doing his charitable work in Africa, which politician is doing that, not Obama, not Bush and certainly not Mcain. However, the media isn't going to report that, they are going to report about unreliable sources that heard something about Bill Clinton and that is news.

The media is putting a wedge in the party by reporting negative about the Clintons, and I can bet my very last dollar, if Obama looses in November...who is the media going to blame...non other than the Clintons...

August 27, 2008 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  17. Living in the USA

Bill go somewhere and sit down. You are not needed.

August 27, 2008 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  18. Travis

Perfect.....after tonight I won't be seeing this WOMANIZER again.

By the way....take Billary with you.

August 27, 2008 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  19. Spencer from VA

Now it's your turn Bill. Let's see if you can do half the job your wife did.

August 27, 2008 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  20. Bulldog

This network is repeating the Republican talking points time after time. Someone inside must be getting paid. CNN is also airing an attack ad that even FOX news has refused to air because it is so far out there and full of lies and false accusations. They should be ashamed of themselves. They are turning even worse than FOX as far as airing Republican lies and gutter smear attacks. Way to go CNN, you sinking lower and lower.

August 27, 2008 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  21. One Nation

The Clinton's and the Obama's are great people. It's mostly republicans posing as PUMAS who keep this garabage going. Don't buy into it and let's move ahead. May God bless this country.

Obama/Biden/Clinton 08' – 12'

August 27, 2008 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  22. Mike - Texas

I don't know how Bill is going to handle this, but Hillary had a good speech last night.

The problem that I saw was that Michelle Obama looked on Hillary's speech with a lot of distrust and anger for about 90% of it. She lightened up a little after Hillary started complementing her.

You could see the anger and distrust in her face. At times it looked as if Michelle could bite a 10 penny nail in two.

If Hillary's supporters saw what I saw, then they would not be happy at all.

August 27, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  23. Desmond Sequeira

Just look where so called Bush/McSame "experience" has got the USA and the world, economically, politically, national security-wise and in foreign relations!!!

McSame stronger on national security? UNDILUTED RUBBISH.
    Being Bullish and Hawkish and Bull-dozing and "Bushed" does not make one stronger. It makes one fool-hardy, as Bush has proved.
    Give us OBAMA's quiet, intelligent, respectful strength any day.

August 27, 2008 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  24. Matt, Pittsburgh

This is not the topic he wanted to address. He wanted more self agrandizing time.

The man is no longer relevant.

McCain Hutchinson '08

August 27, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  25. Joe Reg

The fact of the matter is that Democrats are the best when it comes to national security issues. This is clear, under the leadership of Dems, we promote and execute diplomacy base on international coorperation and a domestic policy base on inclusion of Americans of all work of life.

The security foster by Dems creates growth and properity for all.

Under Dems there is always economic growth before the repubs destroy everything. We will elect Dems and fix America once again.

Obama/Biden 08.