August 27th, 2008

Bill Clinton to take center stage at Democratic convention

Close attention will be paid to what former President Clinton says about Barack Obama.

(CNN) – Sen. Joe Biden will make his first appearance before the Democratic National Convention as his party's vice presidential nominee Wednesday night, but the real drama of the evening may come from former President Clinton and what he says about Sen. Barack Obama.

"I think things are actually progressing better than maybe some of us might have thought in terms of the relationship between the two of them," said Paul Begala, a Democratic strategist and CNN contributor.

"They haven't known each other very well or very long. And Sen. Obama ran against his wife, and there's still some bruised feelings, but I think the president and Sen. Obama are trying very hard to reach across that divide."

As the Democrats gather for their third day in Denver, the theme of the night will be national security, an issue traditionally owned by the Republicans. Some of the Democrats' most experienced statesmen are expected to argue that Obama is the best candidate to strengthen America's national security.

Full story

1. andrew

As a Clinton Democrat, i'll be voting John McCain this Nov. I dont think Obama will keep us safe! Wait and see!

August 27, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  2. Tammy - KCMO

It's time to unite behind Obama.

Ignore the ignorant posts from PUMAs, Republican's in disguise and slanted media articles being used to inflame the division to keep their ratings up

August 27, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  3. Don

Go get them Bill. Hillary 2012. Phenomenal woman

August 27, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  4. ck

Someone please teach the Clintons how to fade away gracefully....

They are part of history, and that is where they should stay.

August 27, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  5. yen

Hillary couldn't have been Obama' s VP. She fought him like there was no tomorrow. If she was kinder and gentler then, I myself would have supported her all the way. She burnt her bridge many times over. The world is so nieve to even think that she will get the VP position.
    It is great choice with J. Biden. Let us give them full support!!

August 27, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  6. Rudy NYC

Bill Clinton's endorsement of Obama has been restrained. Okay, he took a month long vacation after the primaries, so I will give him benefit of the doubt.

But, his criticism of Obama was stronger than Hillary's. He must make a game changing speech to make up for that. The political future of the Clinton's now hinges on the outcome of this election. A scenario they created by attempting to destroy Obama in the primaries when they should have packed it in.

August 27, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  7. Paul

Bill Clinton is such an idiot!!

Pouting, Sulking, Whining... What a Man!! "Why didnt you give the presidency to my wife.. wa wa wa!!"

My little sister has more dignity then him!! Its a shame you let yourself down like this Bill.. i used to have a lot of respect for you!

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008 and 2012!!

August 27, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  8. Denise

After he is finished, he can take his spoiled, selfish, whiny, petulant beind back to is office in Harlem.

August 27, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  9. chrissy

HIllary was incredible.....and why was she not choosen as Obama's vp? If a strong, no nonsense, tenacious and experienced woman is too intimidating for Obama to choose as vp then what sort of unity or toughness can he really have against dictators and rouge leaders with extremist views? Last night made me question even more about Obama. If winning over 18 millions votes and able to unify a divided party in one incredible speech as HIllary did last night, are not enough to be vp, then what is? did her gender stand in the way for obama?

August 27, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  10. Lyle

Just as with Mrs. Clinton’s amazing speech Tuesday night, President Clinton’s speech will make it even more crystal-clear that Mr. Obama does not have what it takes to be President. By comparison to the Clintons, Mr. Obama seems tiny and insignificant and does not project the strength, power and acumen of an American President.

This election is a tragic, missed opportunity for Democrats.

August 27, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  11. AQ

I'm utterly disappointed in CNN. Thanks for two nights of wasted convention coverage. I'm going to take a cue from some fellow posters and watch the rest of the convention on PBS or C-Span because CNN has become ridiculous in it's coverage. Thanks for nothing.

August 27, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  12. Femi Moradeyo

McCain said, Obama is inexperienced as if government is run by one person! Only a dictator runs government aloan. Obama has enough experience and as a true democrat he will undoubtedly draw from abundance of experience from his predicessors and those executive members of his cabinet or even outside cabinet and iam sure he will always listen to voice of reason.

August 27, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  13. Jim

I can't wait!! I am for Obama but have ENORMOUS RESPECT for Mr. Clinton! And his wife, who did a phenominal job yesterday!

Any Puma's who are still not with us, let it be folks, let it be, no worries because the college students will break the tie, we will be out in full force come November, just wait!

August 27, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  14. Smart

CNN don't just get it.

Although the author of this article has done a good job, those folks on the air that are spinning the messages of the democrats to benefit the republicans should understand that Americans are not all fools. They kept searching for any sign of negative event while (unbeliavably)ignoring the positive strenghts of Obama, Hillary and Democratic Party.

Give it up. This country is greater than your News income!

Bush and McCain kept up their tough retorics against Russia while the Russians kept daring them. What has the sensless tough talk brought us? We need someone who thinks before he talks. With McCain's sensless brags, we should be ready to fight WARS against IRAN, SYRIA, AND OF COURSE RUSSIA!

He will not succeed in Jesus Name Amen!

August 27, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  15. AQ

BTW, to the Clinton fans if Obama loses you have only the Clintons to thank in contributing to that. So don't go complaining if McCain ends up winning. Parish that thought.

August 27, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  16. proud army and navy mom

ok bill, make us all proud and show everyone you are not still bitter about the primaries.

Hit mcbush where it hurts and I might forgive your for your past antics.

August 27, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  17. Disappointed Democrat

Hillary has done her work for Obama and the democrat party so lets see if the idiotic Obama supporters are still going to stab her in the back. Obama and his supporters know that Hillary should be the candidate but I suppose the DNC and superdelegates selected him so he should be the one to go out there and unite the party. Why get Hillary to do his dirty work...do it yourself along wih your choice of VP Joe Biden. Obama cannot win without Hillary support because he is too weak a candidate to win on his own. Her speech last night was a presidential one and that's what hurts because rightfully she is the candidate but it was stolen from her.

I will never vote for Obama because I do not like or trust him. I am still 100% behind Hillary and she will always be my president. I am sure the majority of Hillary's supporters are still there for her so we will either write her name on the ballot, vote for McCain or not vote at all but for sure we will not vote for Obama. I respect Hillary's speech in her asking us to unite to get Obama elected but I cannot do that since if I do not like someone, I cannot vote for them.

August 27, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  18. James From Chicago

All you Obama people say Hillary lost..But she did not..Now that Fla & Mich votes count she should be the nominee not Obama.
    Clinton's speech was great, but she is not going to put on the brother sister act
    between her and Obama.Everyone realizes Obama is not qualified to lead this country.

August 27, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  19. Lisa M

Bill open-mouth-insert-foot Clinton is going to speak. I hope to God that he watches his mouth. I still think he was part of Hillary's problem, making statements that kept re-opening closed issues.

August 27, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  20. jeanette

We are the United Democrats of America!
    8 years of the Bush Administration and the Republican White House has filled our country with bitterness (yes, bitterness!).
    Fear mongering – hate mongering – and war mongering has filled our country and our lives.
    We need to stand united and take our country back!

Now lets go kick some republican arse!!

God Bless Our Country!
    Obama-Biden '08!

August 27, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  21. mbrown

Davonne from atlanta;

Give it a rest, Hillary did what she was suppose to. Now ! and i do mean NOW! is the time for your candidate ( yes i did say your, instead of our )

I listened to my candidates speech last night and thought she was fantastic, however i still feel the sting of the fact she was not even considered for the vp nod !

So like the african american woman on cnn last night said while she held back tears, she is and was a hillary supporter and obama has two months to get her ( and the rest of us hillary supporters there ) !

We won't go for mcain, but we won't go for obama either if he does not come through on his own tomorrow night !

Deal with that !

August 27, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  22. Election Watcher

The Obama campaign did such a good job of villifying the Clintons, that now they have lost the ability to call upon either Clinton for a meaningful endorsement which will stick with voters. You reap what you sow.

August 27, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  23. Vet. 4 Obama

Bill will do great as always , as for John-well
    MY FRIENDS, I SUPPORTED THE IRAQ WAR AND HAVE THE MONEY TO PROVE IT.

MY FRIENDS, I SUPPORT OF SHORE OIL DRILLING SO I CAN DROP YOUR GAS AT THE PUMP PRICE BY .02 CENTS IN TEN YEARS AND I HAVE THE MONEY FROM BIG OIL TO PROVE IT.

MY FRIENDS, I SUPPORTED THE SURGE IN A COUTRY THAT WILL BE FIGHTING A THOUSAND YEARS FROM NOW AND I HAVE THE BODY BAGS AND MONEY TO PROVE IT.

MY FRIENDS, I HAVE NOT SUPPORTED OUR VETS. AND I HAVE THE VOTING RECORD TO PROVE IT.

MY FRIENDS, I HAVE NOT SUPPORTED WOMENS RIGHTS AND THE PUMA’S DON’T CARE AND I HAVE THE VOTING RECORD AND POLLS TO PROVE IT.

MY FRIENDS, I SUPPORT THE BUSH AGENDA 95% OF THE TIME AND WILL CONTINUE THE SAME BECAUSE YOU ARE IN A MENTIAL RECESSION AND I HAVE THE VOTING RECORD TO PROVE IT.

MY FRIENDS, AND FINALLY, I HAVE NO PLATFORM SO I WILL CONTINUE TO DIEFLECT YOUR ATTENTION TO OBAMA SO THAT YOU WON’T NOTICE AND I HAVE THE EMPTY CAMPAIN TO PROVE IT.

THANK YOU FOR GARUNTEEING THAT THE RICH GET RICHER (WHICH IS ME AND MY FRIENDS) AND THE POOR GET POORER FOR 4 MORE YEARS!
    AND THIS ELECTION WILL PROVE IT!!!!

August 27, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  24. East Tn girl. Go Vols

I am looking forward to hearing Bill tonight. I know he is still bitter about his wife LOSING. But Hey, thinks are looking brighter. I think he should not act like he is not mad, he should stand up there like a man and suck it up. It is Obamas Time to Shine.
    Obama '08.

August 27, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  25. Eric

It was clear yesterday that Hillary has been able to move on, keeping her eyes on the ball and now working to get Obama elected. I salute her and all the work she has done for years. Now, let's hope Bill will be able to just do the same and realize that the best way for him to restore his reputation with african americans and protect his legacy is to make sure Obama gets elected. I am pretty sure he will do a terrific job.

August 27, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |