August 27th, 2008

Castellanos: What Clinton didn't say

Clinton didn't say enough, Alex Castellanos said.
Clinton didn't say enough, Alex Castellanos said.

Hillary Clinton gave a workmanlike speech tonight. She checked the boxes. However, the message many will hear is that her sisterhood of the traveling pants didn't make it this time and was wronged. But keep going, Senator Clinton told her coalition of supporters, and we will make it someday.

At least one Democratic delegate interviewed by CNN after Senator Clinton spoke said Clinton's remarks proved she was denied the nomination because of her gender. That's the speech she heard in the convention hall. The sisterhood of the traveling pants may not be ready to embrace Obama just yet.

If had to title this speech, I would call it Clinton's "Lesser of Two Evils" speech.

She gave all the reasons she ran for president and then said if you believe in those, vote for the Democratic nominee.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Speaking of ringing, she said nothing about the questions she has raised about Obama's preparedness to be president.

It's 3 a.m. and that phone is still ringing.

1. Christine D

I think she did a great job but I will still vote for Nader/Gonzalez. I wish the women who are going to vote for Mccain would vote for Nader/Gonzalez.

August 27, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  2. Whitney

The "Hillary haters" (and Mr. Castellanos appears to be one of them) always seem to find imperfection in Clinton's doings. She delivered a beautiful and generous speech tonight, a speech that deserved no criticism. Perhaps Mr. Castellanos is, as many men are, intimidated by such a strong, eloquent woman. On the other end of the spectrum, I applaud her; I think she accomplished a feat tonight that few would be gracious enough to realize.

August 27, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  3. McFeign

The author of this article is really reaching for something negative to say about this speech to play up the past tension between the camps of the two candidates. She hit the nail right on the head as far as why it is in the interests of all Americans (besides energy executives and defense contractors) to vote for Obama over McCain.

August 27, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  4. Sherry, Atlanta

HILLARY DID HER BEST!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08-'12

August 27, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  5. nick

You clearly werent paying attention to 99.999% of the speech. Replithug.

No How
    No Way
    No McCain

August 27, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  6. Dave

Seriously Castellano, that's a little thin.

August 27, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  7. Dylan in CA

Castellanos??

What does CNN think it's viewers giving a flying fark what this GOP meathead has to say?

Hillary gave an amazing speech tonight. There is no doubt that she is a Democrat first. Anyone of her "supporters" who would even consider still voting McBush or staying home just show that they never supported her for the right reasons in the first place.

Obama/Biden/Hillary '08

August 27, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  8. Chase

What exactly would you have had her say?

"Oh no. I was lying when I was running. All along I thought that Obama's views, goals, and proposals were better than my own. All of you who believed in me were, well, wrong. You are all wrong. And I know much better than you do."

No sane human being can say that and expect a civil response. So she went with the only option left to her:

"If you like me, you should also like Obama, because (SURPRISE!) we agree on almost all of the issues. We are members of the same party, after all. But if you're voting for McCain now, I kinda wish you had never wanted to vote for me in the first place."

August 27, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  9. Alex Who?

Republican strategist Alex Castellanos grasps at straws. Film at 11.

August 27, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  10. Shanee Garner

As an Obama Supporter I commend Hillary–great job! Just made a donation to her campaign.

Let's get out there and win

Obama/Biden 08
    Hillary as secretary of defense

August 27, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  11. Todd

Does anyone else think this comment was a bit scary...."We need a president who understands that we can't solve the problems of global warming by giving windfall profits to the oil companies." Since when does the government "give" profits to private industry? Is it now the job of the U.S. government to determine the amount of acceptable profit a business is allowed to make? U.S. or U.S.S.R?

August 27, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  12. Phil

Haha! This is all a Republican strategist could come up with?

I thought Hillary gave the best speech of her life tonight and she made the message loud and clear for the party to unite. Tonight I am happy with the Democratic Party.

Obama/Biden '08

August 27, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  13. Easton PA

Mr. Catellanos, what planet were you on when you heard Hilliary's speech. As one of her supporters, she united the sisterhood in support of Obama. I think you stood go back to your day job cleaning toilets.

August 27, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  14. Jeb

Are you deaf, Alex? She endorsed Obama several times in PLAIN ENGLISH. You're reaching for something negative because you are paid to do so.
    Smearing to make a living. What a soul sucking occupation.

August 27, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  15. Beverly Tatum

It is no surprise a Republican would come out with negative comments. That is all Republicans do – speak negatively. That is because they have nothing to say for themselves or for all the disastrous policies of George Bush. Hillary said a lot. She made it clear with "No Way, No How, No McCain!" John McCain has no leadership experience. He has said nothing of substance on any issue important to to real Americans. He is out-of-touch and is prepared to extend failed Bush policies and create more disastrous policies like continued torture, reinstating the draft since he is a war monger, and destroying womens rights by working to reverse Roe v Wade. McCain has show a total lack of character and integrity with his baseless negative attacks ads. He supports the illegal Swift boat attacks on Barack because he is so desperate in knowing he is going to lose the election. He is in the gutter and I have no respect or trust of any person who supports such disgusting ads. He is not ready to lead. He cannot even campaign effectively or honorably. McCain is not worthy to be President and he proves it more and more every day. Republicans – hate and fear and elitism. Democrats = change of failled Republican policies, hope for the non-priviledged the Republicans ignore, and the return of decency and diplomacy and intelligence to the White House. McCain is a loserjust like Bush is a loser and a total failure. Barack will be elected and will be an outstanding President on all fronts. Face it, Republicans are fundamentally negative, unimaginative, and support criminals like Karl Rove, and Cheney and Bush who need to be impeached and sent ro prison for all the crimes they have commited against Americans and against innocent citizens of the world. Republicans can't govern. All they have shown they can do is lie, cheat and start wars to line their own pockets for personal gain. MCain is a very lame choice and if he is the best the Republicans have to offer – it just proves there is no leadership available in the Republican Party. Barack is intelligent, wise, worked for what he has, and truly cares about the average American. He is leagues ahead of McCain in character, integrity, and leadership qualities. Send McCain back to his wealthy universe where he can live in happy ignorance. Go Barack! You will be an outstanding President and world representative in restoring our nation at home and abroad.

August 27, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  16. B. DUN

This has to be one of the most inspiring speeches I have ever heard!!!.
    It would be interesting to knw how many of the "super delegates", to nite, widh that they would not have been so hasty in their support of BO.

As mentioned by one of the reporter, it was definitely a "PRESIDENTIAL SPEECH". It was a" FASTBALL GAME that made it into the HALL OF FAME
    HILLARY CLINTON in 2012

August 27, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  17. daleesp

McCain's campaign has turned from the "straight talk express" to "lie about Obama" gutter politics. McCain was a great man that voted against Bush's tax cuts and supported comprehensive immigration reform. Now he's just another Republican puppet playing the role of Bush III. I pity the fool!!

August 27, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  18. a.d.

When she brought up the Harriet Tubman quote ("keep going" etc., which is one of those disputable – albeit good – quotes from what I understand) I immediately saw it in reference to how she had run her campaign. I'm not saying I think she got a fair shake though. I've never seen someone pushed out of the primaries in such a vehement and nasty way (I actually read comments on here saying "get back in the kitchen" and "bake Bill some cookies") by the public, media (and yes I think CNN edits these comments in favor of Obama the majority of the time, unless they are replete with atrocious spelling and bad grammar – go on, prove me wrong, but don't change my spelling), political pundits, the DNC, and anybody else who couldn't stand the thought of someone with a vagina being the head of state. And come on people, we all know that's a lot of what it was. You can cry racism – or better yet "playing the race card" (you can throw that campaign cliche under the bus with "under the bus") – all you want but we all know that sexism crosses all racial boundaries. I know of women and men, young and old, who feel that females are simply "too emotional" and "too weak" to lead.

The sad part is, I don't think I'll ever see a female president of the U.S. in my lifetime. My daughter has even said to me "Maybe I could be president when I grow up!" and I say "Yeah, okay!" – but deep down, I know that the United States I've experienced is too misogynist to let that happen. It's up to my girl to figure it out on her own.

August 27, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  19. William B. Pederson

CNN really screwed up in many ways. First, you featured the pundits rather than the convention speakers. I am an American voter that wanted to hear the speakers to make an informed choice. I received nothing but your commentators. Second, the bias of the media manipulated this election just like the Republicans did in 2000. Shame on you for your bias and unethical reporting. You are sabotaging America.

August 27, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  20. Peter

She can never win, can she?

She supports Obama. Then they say she didn't do enough.
    She and her husband have fought for civil rights all their lives but are still called racists. Heck, even her supporters are called racists if they don't vote for Obama.
    If he wins, they'll say Obama overcame the Clinton attacks.
    If he loses, they'll blame her anyway.

No one wants to take responsibilities for winning or losing. But they will give a large dose of hatred and cynicism to both Clintons. This just shows the biased ugliness in America.

August 27, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  21. Jacqueline Banks

I totally agree with Alex Castellanos. Further, I felt Senator Clinton should have made some type of apologetic mention of the unfavorable comments she made about Senator Obama while she was campaigning against him in the primaries. Afterall, Senator McCain and the Republicans are having a field day using those comments in their ads. In addition, the introduction clip focused too much on HER candidacy, as opposed to Senator Obama. She could have used some of that time for more Obama endorsements. She does speak well and all in all, it was a fairly good speech.

August 27, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  22. Sebastian

If McCain wins, and this is very likely. It will have a lot to do with the Democrates not being able to UNITE! And if this happens, the Democrates deserve it. The Dems were given a chance with the sweep in the Congressional and Legislative elections, but, they blew it in the last couple of years – Nothing happened. If the Dems think differently, then why is McCain so close in the running?! The Dems are so busy bickering with one another, they don't care if it costs them the presidential election. The Republican party is quite united behind McCain, and if what happens is we get four more years of Bush through McCain, well Democrats, start pointing the fingers at each other as the Republicans will help you with the finger pointing.

August 27, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  23. elmo fan

Apparently with a deficiet at record highs, foreclosures also at a record, 401(k) blances getting blasted daily and the price of gas going up its no wonder that all you Republican have is this supposed and forced perception of divisions within the democratic party? Perhaps you should be minding your own store- what are the Huckabee and Romney people going to be feeling when the other is selected? I doubt it is going to be a love in.

August 27, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  24. April in Texas

Well for a man named McCain that has taken off most weekends and hasnt voted for anything in the us senate for months, one could ask that same question on is he ready? I truely believe Obama is ready and will take that 3 am call head on and with sound judgement. McCain on the other hand would probably sleep through it, be on vacation or taking a weekend off..

Hillary didnt address the experience or is he ready question because she knows he is ready..

Obama/Biden 08

August 27, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  25. Ian MacIsaac

Quit trying to divide our party.

August 27, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |