August 27th, 2008

Castellanos: What Clinton didn't say

Clinton didn't say enough, Alex Castellanos said.
Clinton didn't say enough, Alex Castellanos said.

Hillary Clinton gave a workmanlike speech tonight. She checked the boxes. However, the message many will hear is that her sisterhood of the traveling pants didn't make it this time and was wronged. But keep going, Senator Clinton told her coalition of supporters, and we will make it someday.

At least one Democratic delegate interviewed by CNN after Senator Clinton spoke said Clinton's remarks proved she was denied the nomination because of her gender. That's the speech she heard in the convention hall. The sisterhood of the traveling pants may not be ready to embrace Obama just yet.

If had to title this speech, I would call it Clinton's "Lesser of Two Evils" speech.

She gave all the reasons she ran for president and then said if you believe in those, vote for the Democratic nominee.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Speaking of ringing, she said nothing about the questions she has raised about Obama's preparedness to be president.

It's 3 a.m. and that phone is still ringing.

1. DOH!!!

Where do you dig up these 'reporters'? What an AWFUL evaluation of Senator CLinton's speech.

August 27, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  2. Dave C - NJ

I love how all the GOP pundits are saying "what a shame Hillary was not the VP on the ticket" ie, trying to twist the knife.

That, and that "Hillary was right, Obama is not experienced."

Is that all you got? Seriously?

August 27, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  3. Matto

Can we please stop with the "great Hilary / Obama divide"?? It is mostly a creation of media looking for a story to beat over people's heads. If she was a male would we be hearing all of this? Don't make her gender a double standard. She lost the nomination. Move on. Most democrats are smart enough to realize that the party's goals are bigger than either candidate, and will rally behind the nominee. That is Obama. Stop beating this dead horse!

August 27, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  4. little old lady from Ohio

Hillary is and will always be #1 with me I will never unite with Obama
    I will be writing Hillary's name on the ballot in Nov. Michelle is fake acting like she likes HIllary we all know she does. Hillary is my pres. bitter female

August 27, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  5. killa

Alex, Stop hating. You are a resnug. This is what we expect from you.

August 27, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  6. Arizonan for Obama

Hillary speech was great, I aplauded in my living room when she was done. This is just another ploy for the GOP to muddy the waters, nice try Castellanos.

August 27, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  7. ever

its time to let this go! the elections is not about her, so please lets move on and understand that its about america as a whole left in the dust that needs change not old school war mongers

August 27, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  8. London

What more can Hillary Clinton say: I SUPPORT BARACK OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES! Do we need it said in every language and later in sign language!!! What more can she do or say, that hasn't already been said! Give it a break! Hillary's policy was FAR more in line with Obama!

My vote goes to Obama & Biden 2008!

August 27, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  9. BMartin, Duluth, MN

For some people such as Castellanos, she probably couldn't make a perfect speech. But as a older woman, a devout Hillary supporter for the git-go, she did it for me and she said it just right. The message I heard was a recognition of her woman supporters, but also more of a recognition of us as Democrats – and we needed to be reminded of that. With Hillary, Biden, Kennedy and many others helping Barack to find his feet as president, I'm sure the country will do a lot better than this sad 8 years. I think that phone is ringing for you, Alex, – to wake up.

August 27, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  10. Robert

I thought the speech did a wonderful job of conveying Sen. Clinton's desire for a democratic victory for the White House, and her expectations of all who supported her to make that happen. I sincerely wish that for those who cannot reconcile themselves to vote for anyone else, to take a page from Sen. Clinton's speech and move forward toward making sure that all the important policies, energy, economic, healthcare, education, get the attention it deserves and not how unhappy some of the electorate might be. Let's face it, if you supported Hillary, because of her policies, the you should be support Barack. Any other reason is just the same polotics and you will waste your vote.

August 27, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  11. Vincent Spaulding

It's 3 AM and that phone is still ringing and McCain CAN'T wake up. Drop dead Alex the spick.

August 27, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  12. beverly marlow

"The sisterhood of the traveling pants" indeed. Are the male participants of either party to be referred to as the "brotherhood
    of the traveling pants". Demeaning remarks of this sort appear to
    be the medium that Republican commentatiors seem to immerse
    themselves in. Another Republican commentator was asked on Larry King Live if Sen.Clinton made an impression regarding her speech and the response was she certainly did, not the speech- but in her tangerine suit. Snide remarks do not make these people look clever or professional: just small.. These commentators should realize that there are many people that have not yet decided who they will vote for. To me they are the Republican media that represent the Republican Party and they are fast turning me into a Democrat.

August 27, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  13. Jason

See, here's what bugs me - and I said this to my girlfriend while watching Hillary's speech - all the pundits are going to hear is that Hillary felt she was wronged. But you have to remember something very important. Pundits are accustomed to these kinds of messages. In the very same way that negative campaign ads work, so too does Hillary's speech. While there were some spots where she clearly indicated she felt wronged, her first and her last points were that we must support Barack Obama - these are the things that will stick. And the more the media harps on her speech, nitpicks it, and pulls apart the nuance - the more they end up ignoring the overall point. The media wants controversy because it fills the airwaves, nobody pretends this to be false. But what the media must remember is the way people work, and how they can affect that. Hillary had a positive message. She gave a phenomenal speech, she supports Barack, and her supporters understand what's important. Hillary Clinton is amazing, and she did a phenomenal job. Kudos to her.

August 27, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  14. Rita

I have heard what Hillary said and once again she has proved what a nice and what a good woman she is. She has showed that she is the one more qualified, fit and ready to be the commander in chief, not Obama not McCain. Though McCain is more ready to be the president. Hillary has done her part but I am sorry I cannot vote for Obama. I survived Bush I think I will survive McCain; If the Democrats wanted us to vote for them they should have nominated a more qualified person. Obama and Michelle want to change the world, and help the poor but Obama's brother is in Kenya leaving in utterly poverty. I am sorry charity begins at home save your own first before saving the world. I will vote McCain.

August 27, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  15. Dave

Oh, wait, I thought they we're thin before but your comments are getting thicker with age. I see now that this is the conservative line, another talking point to be rolled out by the propaganda machine.

When does this reach the point where it is no longer journalism?

August 27, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  16. C

All you idiots who viewed this speech (emotional female hillary supporters) and cite the speech as evidence of why she should be the nominee, as is happening, never explain exactly how the nomination was allegedly "taken away" from her as you morons insist it was.

That's because the evidence, if any of you were paying attention three months ago, will never support that claim. Obama won 11 straight contests in febuary and built a delegate lead hillary could not catch up to and only then did the super delegates switch to barak. Do you idiots remeber that ?

August 27, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  17. Mike

I don't get the feeling that she meant anything she said. I also don't think she believes any of it herself. She talked only about herself and Bill. And this rich, privileged, born-into-a-fortune white lady actually had the audacity to compare herself to a real civil rights leader who was born into poverty and discriminated against her whole life, who refused to give up her seat on the bus. This is a new low, and shows how her mind really works. She needs mental help.

August 27, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  18. Dennis Willaert

Typical republican response...if you can't beat them, swift boat them!! Hillary with perfect with her address to the DNC Convention and it goes to show what the rnc is up against!

August 27, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  19. Why Lie?

Why would Clinton lie to appease Obama and his supporters; she said the best thing she could about him – that he is a member of a party that has the same ideals as her, as for him being experienced – he isn't. So, I ask – WHY SHOULD SHE LIE?

August 27, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  20. Jason in SJ

No way! Hillary said exactly what she needed to! That speech was amazing and then some. If Clinton a supporter, I myself being one, left that speech unwilling to move forward, then they're lost and nothing else can be done or said. I truly believe her speech will be enough to reunite the party and carry us to victory in November.

August 27, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  21. BobC

After more than 30 years as a registered Independent voter (I voted for Ronald Reagan, George Bush the father and sorry to say, George Bush the Idiot Son the first time, but I didn't make the same stupid mistake the second time). George Bush, the idiot son, made me register as a Democrat in 2004. Hillary's speech was awe-inspiring. Now I know I am on the right team. Nothing against John McCain, who I like. In fact if Obama loses and McCain wins, I won't be too disappointed. No one can be as bad a president as George Bush for at least another 232 years.

August 27, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  22. April Garlow

Remember when Obama's people said the convention is two months away the party will be united by then? Well now they are saying November is two months away we will be united by then! PUMA NOW– puma then-we are not voting for McCain we are voting against a corrupt DNC, and biased media,that took away our right to a free and fairelection–nothing in our country is more important to protect orpreserve than that.Hillary can make the case we should care about her issues–but they are nothing without free and fair elections.

August 27, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  23. EricTheRuler

The Phone rang three weeks ago in Georgia and McCain Screwed that up the Georgian President even said he didn't need John McCains empty rhetoric they needed help. Tonight I saw Hillary Clinton say everything she had to say about Barack Obama that she needed to say. She said it with grace and truth in her heart. She let the world know that she was united with Barack Obama and, the Democratic Party. We will not have 4 more years of the same out of date uncaring policies that are destroying the world. It's time to send our Men and Women in the armed services back to Afghanistan to find binladin and bring him to justice. And then we can stop pouring money into Iraq and fix our roads and bridges. I cannot believe the Republicans have the testicular fortitude to go to Minn after the policies they have put forth allowed that bridge to fall.... In 08 we vote for Change and Jan 20, 2009 America gets the White House back.. I am sure President Obama will let the american public visit the White House and, keep it secure........

August 27, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  24. john Gary

The argument that Hillary didn't get the nomination because she is a women may be true and it may not. But how loud and long have African Americans fought for the same recognition that women have fought for, or, that Black Males and Females are equal to White Males and Females .

I say women in America need to follow the example that Barack and the 95% + of Blacks in America that fully support him set and go to war on the true threat of discrimination Women face. The same sort of discrimination African Americans' face. Remember, if the script was flipped and HIllary won what would die hard Barack supporters do? I think all democrats would hope that they would throw their support behind Hillary. Who knows, if she and her supports don't ruin the election for Barack they may get their chance.

To Alex C. I think he is attacking a rhetorical style, which is baseless and was probably written in a back of an SUV on the way to his 5-Star hotel. He's an attack dog for the Republicans in a thousand dollar suit and will raise questions that the McCain camp tells him to. Did you notice how the McCain camp issued a statement after the Hillary speech, which was really just setting the talking points for the Republican critics and pundits after the convention.

Shame on CNN for publishing such garbage. A study should be done analyzing the amount of negative attacks from the McCain camp gets airtime/webtime compared to democrats. Is CNN getting paid by a Rove trust to make sure American knows how much the Republicans disapprove of a new message, a message that scares the heck out of them?

Finally, do we as Americans really need this commentary about "how they did" can't you make up your own mind and see the issues and facts that shape this election.

August 27, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  25. Ben

It's become apparent that CNN is no longer reporting the news, but attempting to create some kind of drama. So long, I'm off to MSNBC.

August 27, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |