August 27th, 2008

Castellanos: What Clinton didn't say

Clinton didn't say enough, Alex Castellanos said.
Clinton didn't say enough, Alex Castellanos said.

Hillary Clinton gave a workmanlike speech tonight. She checked the boxes. However, the message many will hear is that her sisterhood of the traveling pants didn't make it this time and was wronged. But keep going, Senator Clinton told her coalition of supporters, and we will make it someday.

At least one Democratic delegate interviewed by CNN after Senator Clinton spoke said Clinton's remarks proved she was denied the nomination because of her gender. That's the speech she heard in the convention hall. The sisterhood of the traveling pants may not be ready to embrace Obama just yet.

If had to title this speech, I would call it Clinton's "Lesser of Two Evils" speech.

She gave all the reasons she ran for president and then said if you believe in those, vote for the Democratic nominee.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Speaking of ringing, she said nothing about the questions she has raised about Obama's preparedness to be president.

It's 3 a.m. and that phone is still ringing.

1. Enough Is Enough!

Hillary said just enough to keep the PUMA's and the gals at McCain's "Hillary Happy Hour" from voting for Obama.

She still has her eyes on the prize that she let slip away. She didn't learn from her campaign that it was her short-sightedness that led to her defeat. She obviously still hasn't realized that if her teary eyed, emotional supporters vote for McCain and cost Obama the presidency, Obama supporters will never give their vote to her in 2012.

The Clinton's are on their way to becoming a pimple on the face of the DNC.

Does anyone have some ProActive??

August 27, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  2. Mark Smalling

What a completely stupid piece of Journalism
    The best person for the job spoke tonight.she gave her support to Obama and asked her delegates to do the same...She won, Obama won..Get a life....

mark....in houston

August 27, 2008 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  3. Upon Further Review

American politics are beyond repair, 8 yrs of nothing but the gutter.Now a choice of three totally uninspiring candidates.2 months of mudslinging to go.This is worse than a B movie.Who ever wrote this script deserves a giant razzie award.Somebody want APATHY OR ATROPHY to set in,Im convinced of it now.

August 27, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  4. Laura V

No, she didn't say enough. Really no positives about Obama. She only mentioned his name a handful of times. She knows that McCain is using her nasty primary attacks on Obama in his current attack ads, and she did not address this, let alone condemn it. She spent most of her time talking about herself, like she still doesn't understand the primary is over, and she lost.

August 27, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  5. Melissa, New York, NY

Spare us, Castellanos. Can we please just move on already.

August 27, 2008 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  6. jose

she was striaght forward and clear about the reality. she was full of grace and truth. i hope a little commen sense will work for American people to know whom to vote for. God bless America!

August 27, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  7. Ndalio

Democrats keep on uniting.... GOP is panicking.... and frustrated too!

McBush we need no more war!

August 27, 2008 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  8. Phil, CA

Your "sisterhood" comment is exactly the kind of sexism she was talking about. I'm proud to be a Democrat when I hear a Republican say this kind of 19th century bull. It shows which party is caught up with the times and which is stuck in an earlier one, just like their nominee John McCain.

August 27, 2008 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  9. Terry, NJ

Excellent speech Hillary! Except I still will NOT vote for Obama. As the days goes on it has become more and more clear he's an empty suit. After hearing you tonight I can only say it's SO obvious who the better candidate with experience, drive, committment, and intelligence is. Hillary Clinton. Not the empty suit who has the nomination for the party but will lose on November. I'm voting for McCain, Hillary. I trust him more than I trust Obama's rhetoric. You should have been the nominee Hillary. I would have voted for you now like I did in the primaries because YOU ARE THE BETTER CANDIDATE! NOBAMA!!

August 27, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  10. lynne burke

Well done Senator Clinton!

August 27, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  11. JL

Why put this whining first? It was a a terrific speech.

August 27, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  12. rey

Hilary for PRESIDENT...........................

August 27, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  13. John

NoBama Hussain! Clinton Hates him and so do I... He is a empty suite with no experience that will ruin this country if elected. Clinton or McCain would be much better. Even my dog would be better...

August 27, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  14. OBA-DEN 08

Hillary listed the number of reasons she ran to be president, and she said those same reasons is why she is voting for Barack. She could have gone down a list of his accomplishments but of course that would be boring and seem insincere. No one is pretending Barack has been in public office as long as McCain or Clinton for that matter. He's not running on experience so why does she have to convince anyone that he has enough?

What is enough anyway? What is the right experience or "preparedness"? We've had so many great experienced presidents before right? So, Why did it take so long to end slavery, or for blacks to get civil rights, or for women to get voting rights, or for schools to be desegregated? Why are we in Iraq? Why did we go to Vietnam? Why did Pearl Harbor or 9/11 happen? There is no right amount of experience to prepare someone to be President… The whole issue is a farce.

Hillary did a great job in her speech, and I'm not a supporter of hers. I was very proud that she took the I out of TEAM, now if only the remnant of her "supporters" could learn to spell (That's means you PUMA's).

August 27, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  15. California (former) Democrat

Mark this post: Obama will lose the election because he picked Biden over Clinton. This showed many Democrat fence sitters that he could not put his pride and ego on the shelf and pick the VP candidate who would have helped him to win a landslide victory against McCain. Poor judgment re: his first most important decision. I cannot vote for that. For all of you Obama supporters who rant and rave that Clinton supporters should "get over it," keep in mind that Obama could not get over himself. IF HE LOSES (AND HE WILL), IT WILL NOT BECAUSE I FAILED TO FALL IN LINE AS A GOOD DEMOCRAT, IT WILL BE BECAUSE HE MADE A VERY STUPID DECISION THAT ALIENATED 50% OF DEMOCRATS. Biden looks like McCain. The decision stinks and Obama will now sink. You should also know that I voted for Obama in the primaries and wish I could take that vote back (even though my state went to Clinton). I liked him before I saw the ugly side of his character–egotism, pride and shunning Hillary as if she were spoiling his party. Nader '08 Clinton '12.

August 27, 2008 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  16. troy

These maniacal Hillary supporters are blinded by their own bias. they sort of remind me of the retarded guy in Of Mice and Men who loved the little puppy because he "loved" it too much. He squeezed too hard. Let it go people. Let your anger and your bitterness go. This isn't about charity. If you can't follow Hillary's call then your supposed love of Hillary will be detrimental to her cause. If you can't let this go, then you love Hillary more than what she was trying to accomplish and that's sad and totally useless.

August 27, 2008 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  17. Yes Virgin, there is such a thing as being too old and mean to be president

Sorry Alex, I can see you weren't going to give the weight of the speech high marks regardless given your partisanship and that is too bad because you missed one hell of a good one tonight. Anyone who was listening that voted Clinton but was leaning toward McCain heard all they needed to to cast their vote for Obama. McCain isn't going to support any of her ideas and key issues and he isn't going to bring the kind of change this nation needs to get back on the right track. If you voted for Hillary, a vote for McCain is a vote against our children's future and the best interests of this country!!!

August 27, 2008 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  18. McCain and Bush are twins

Wow, Rita...so happy to hear you will survive McCain. My children thank you for the debt and destruction they will inherit as a result of 4 more years of Bush. I have two daughters, one three and one nine. I can't wait to explain to them someday that you picked that mygonistic pig becuase you were afraid the US would help end poverty in Kenya.

Do us all a favor and stay home in November. Rita, you are living proof that McCain truly has the uneducated vote.

August 27, 2008 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  19. Arc Rev One

This topic is most ridiculous. What Clinton didn't say? Give me a break. The republicans are really reaching now. If thats all the criticism they have then I'd say Clinton did a great job. Clinton said she is proud to support Obama for President. I believe she meant it.

August 27, 2008 02:09 am at 2:09 am |
  20. Slash Firestorm

You know what was beautiful? The commercial break after the speech, there was a McCain ad trying to use her as a wedge. After hearing her words and seeing how united the party is now, you could clearly see just how weak and mean-spirited that ad is. How paltry. And how ineffectual.

The politics of division have lost. They put up a tough fight-bad emotions are much easier to harbor than good ones, easier to cling to-but a new era of history is being born, and it started tonight. And we're living in.

I thought myself cursed to be born in the 9/11 generation (I was 15 when it happened), but now I feel blessed to be at this point of my life and at this point in history, when the worst of the worst is replaced by the best of the best.

It's a good time to be alive.

August 27, 2008 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  21. JM Saint

Even an idiot could see through that rhetoric.

August 27, 2008 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  22. dibbu

im not a US voter. but Hillary's speech made me proud of the woman, the candidate, the american that she is. while reading through the comments of obama supporters, i can only say that they have a tenth of grace that this woman has repeatedly showed; and if their attitude remains the same- that is, of hostile entitlement, they dont deserve any of the hillary supporters' votes. obama has to earn it. if he cant, he should not run. period.

August 27, 2008 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  23. Mike

I thought it was John McCain who was respectful toward Hillary Clinton. Now she is backstabbing him because of her little political agenda to run for president in 2012. Well she is a back stabber then, and maybe it's a good thing she did not win the nomination. I stand by John McCain now. Both Hillary and Obama showed their true colors and it's getting more clear to the American people who got more dignity.

August 27, 2008 02:11 am at 2:11 am |
  24. proud of Hillary in RI

She is an amazing person!! Her speech was perfect. She endorsed the Democratic party, and because Obama is the nominated candidate then vote for him was the message I got out of it. I was very upset how this whole situation has turned out. The runner up in the popular vote is the winner??? Unreal-we as a nation need to demand that the popular vote alone determines the winner of the primaries and final election. Look at the result of not having that- 8 years of Bush and now Obama. I personally don't care for him nor his wife, not that she matters in terms of voting. For the first time in my life I considered not even voting for President I am ashamed to say, but after hearing the speach from someone I admire, I heard her message loud and clear. I will vote for Obama, ONLY, AND ONLY BECAUSE HE IS THE DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE.
    2012 VOTE HILLARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

August 27, 2008 02:11 am at 2:11 am |
  25. Yolanda Storey

Hillary hit it out the ballpark. She certainly convinced my sister, a staunch Clintonista to vote Obama...My sister called me and said she had come to her senses. WOW, who knew Hillary could do that with one speech..

August 27, 2008 02:11 am at 2:11 am |