August 27th, 2008

Castellanos: What Clinton didn't say

Clinton didn't say enough, Alex Castellanos said.
Clinton didn't say enough, Alex Castellanos said.

Hillary Clinton gave a workmanlike speech tonight. She checked the boxes. However, the message many will hear is that her sisterhood of the traveling pants didn't make it this time and was wronged. But keep going, Senator Clinton told her coalition of supporters, and we will make it someday.

At least one Democratic delegate interviewed by CNN after Senator Clinton spoke said Clinton's remarks proved she was denied the nomination because of her gender. That's the speech she heard in the convention hall. The sisterhood of the traveling pants may not be ready to embrace Obama just yet.

If had to title this speech, I would call it Clinton's "Lesser of Two Evils" speech.

She gave all the reasons she ran for president and then said if you believe in those, vote for the Democratic nominee.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Speaking of ringing, she said nothing about the questions she has raised about Obama's preparedness to be president.

It's 3 a.m. and that phone is still ringing.

1. William, from Cali!

The bottom line is that "the Clintons" and others like them are exactly what wrong in Washington and American politics today. They show loyalty, only to themselves, friends, family, cohorts and towards issues that they embrace. To hell with everybody else and the Country. If they can't beat the system, they will reck the system. "Loyalty from the Clintons"? Don't get to close to a rattlesnake, you might get biten.....................

August 27, 2008 04:18 am at 4:18 am |
  2. Jamie Denver

If you vote for Obama you are voting for Bush on the other extreme. Think about it. We got Bush who is a far right conservative, stiff headed mind you, and we got Obama that is far left liberal, also stiff headed. For all of you out there that really think Obama is going to do anything for you vote for him. But when taxes and government spending sky rocket and you continue to see less return for you investment in our government you might think again. If you vote for him though think of it in this comparison. If you take someone in severe depression and replace them with someone with narcissism you are just going from one extreme to the other. The person in depression thinks they are nothing and the narcisist thinks they are better than anybody else. Wake up America, your representives in Washington cast out Clinton and gave Obama the nomination. The Clintons have a moderate record. Now you are stuck with Obama that has a Liberal agenda or McCain that at least has a more moderate record. In the end, if you vote for Obama you might as well kiss your pocket book goodbye.

August 27, 2008 04:18 am at 4:18 am |
  3. Janira

Obama '08
    Clinton '16

God Bless America!

August 27, 2008 04:20 am at 4:20 am |
  4. John

Unfortunately, so many are trying to downplay what was possibly her most sincere speech since she stepped down. News to the world: She is horrible at faking it, and this time, she was NOT. We saw her in the beginning saying that she was behind Obama but neither the public or Hillary herself believed that for a second. This was the first time I really felt her. She went negative and then i lost interest. To those Hillary Supporters who are willing to STILL vote McCain you've just proved your hidden bigotry. I'm tired of people hiding behind the cloak of "Well, he's inexperienced, well Hillary would have been better". If you are willing to go against what YOUR OWN BELIEFS you have proven what we all know is hiding underneath your everyday mask: You can't vote for a BLACK MAN. yes I pulled the race card because though i DO NOT believe that is MOST of America, i believe it is a large part. The people who say they can't vote for him because he didn't wear a flag lapel or because his name rhymes with Osama are looking for any reason to make it seem like they are not racist or bigots. Same goes for some of the black population. stop hiding guys. Just admit the REAL reason you can't vote for him. Just like some can't vote for Hillary because she's a woman. Again, though I THINK this is only a small fraction of America, i wonder how many have me fooled.

August 27, 2008 04:21 am at 4:21 am |
  5. S.Jack Aifano

It is 9:09pm here in American Samoa. I hve been following the election many times from the start last year until now.
    The thing that I keep wondering about is that alot of things have been said about Obama's inexperience and not ready to lead let alone or be the commander in chief. There is something that we must also remember, Obama was never an administrator like a long time in the senate or the congress. He was not a former governor of some state or a territory. This man if you put in this position and expect him to lead the country, and what if he makes a mistatke, or you going to tell the country that we made a mistake and lets do it over. No way. Biden tried twice and pulled out because he the democratic party didn't believe he can lead and not fit to be president. What makes you so sure he can do it now behind Obama as his ticket to the White House, not bad! Or may be Obama at 3 a.m. when the phone rings, he would say, call Joe, I am not good in foreign policy.
    When I was a politician once before, a good friend of mine said, politicians say things that are good for the ears but that does not mean it is also good for the country. Good Luck on your convention!

August 27, 2008 04:22 am at 4:22 am |
  6. Axl

Hillary, the experienced one, couldn't run an organization and Obama showed better strategy and executive skills when it mattered most.

Much of the experience Republicans are attacking Obama for lacking is nothing more than longevity. They are sorely irritated at his upstart, take-no prisoners rise to the top of US politics and feel he should wait his turn.

Hillary failed to display experience, not once but twice. Once with her health initiative as first lady and then again in the most important campaign of her life. That's why she's not the nominee. No hard feelings; I gave some money today to retire her debt. This is the most important election in a generation; it determines whether America moves into the 21st century or stays stuck in the past.

August 27, 2008 04:24 am at 4:24 am |
  7. Staghelm-Horde

It's funny how the Dems are SO concerned about what she says and how much of it she says.. they're more concerned about her comments than his it seems. Maybe the super delegates should've went with her instead of him in the first place. Either way, McCain will win in Nov., Obama's hypocritical comments and lack of experience will cost him the election, because Biden alone isn't enough.. and he's only the VP.

August 27, 2008 04:24 am at 4:24 am |
  8. Walter Saunders

I find all this talk of Hilary's sincerity at the convention a little bit troublesome. She accomplished an amazingly difficult feat with poise and diginity. The is the true mark of a leader. How could anyone have the courage to get up in front of millions and go against their gut and intuition to try and bring order to the bigger picture. I applaud her for this. I am a life long democrat who will "not" be voting for Obama this election year. His inexperience being a great factor in my decision along with his problematic past affiliations. I have seen many of caucasians make stupid ignorant choices when it comes to racially insensitve situations go under both politically and socially. Yet for some reason there is a double standard applied to this man of supposed higher learning. One who may not have been present at the now historic incident where his preacher preached hate, but nonetheless was involved very intimatly in this man's congregation for years. This type of acceptance of hatred no matter how small can not be ingrained into any individual's character within my life, especially one that would want me to call him "Mr. President".
    This is just one of many reasons why I will vote for McCain..... Not that I believe McCain is the ideal choice. He is far from it. But I believe that when he becomes President. America will see more of the same. And just maybe the next time around. My party will get it right. Hey you may think my message makes not sense. But I will give you one stark cold piece of truth. There is a large number of voters who agree with my thoughs. Those are the ones that McCain is counting on. Those are the ones that will tip the scale. And only then will the failures both in the primaries and in America's zeal to put forth total inexperience as a candiate be revealed as a "disaster". I seem to remember from my history book a certain individual who had no experience yet desired change. He became President and it took almost 2 decades before another Democrat sat in the White House. How much damage are we willing to incur over a bunch of incoherent dreaming? How sad is it that even our fellow Republicans have been saying " The Presidency could very well be up for the Democrats this time around", yet we decided to give it all away?

August 27, 2008 04:26 am at 4:26 am |
  9. Steve25 in Colorado

Ahahahahaha...Republicans are stunned.

August 27, 2008 04:28 am at 4:28 am |
  10. Staghelm-Horde

@ those who use that same tired "failed policies" slogan...

has there been another 9/11? have there been attempts against us? yes. whose been leading Congress for the past 2 years?

August 27, 2008 04:29 am at 4:29 am |
  11. Ken in Irvine

"Typical republican response…if you can't beat them, swift boat them!!"

I must have missed something. What in this post has anything to do with the Swift Boat campaign of '04?

Do you actually know or is that just a prefabricated response?

August 27, 2008 04:29 am at 4:29 am |
  12. Maureen Umatum

I am a women who just turned 60, unemployed, talented and I cannot find a job in this economy created by the corrupt Bush administration. I feel hopeful after Hillary's speech and I am confident that the people that were committed to Hillary will vote for Obama. I am hearing positive buz from former republicans discusted with the economy and corruption of Bush – who will be voting as democrats even here in Nebraska!

August 27, 2008 04:30 am at 4:30 am |
  13. ravenfrost

The dems r always whining about d underhanded republican tactics.....rules r same for both parties r'nt dey?

August 27, 2008 04:31 am at 4:31 am |
  14. AdamW

She still sounded bitter. How come all of her supporters haven't helped retire her debt? Where are they? Don't they have two bucks each to give?

Obama is ready to lead.

August 27, 2008 04:40 am at 4:40 am |
  15. velmeezee

And for the people still not understanding why Obama did not choose HRC as the VP, BECAUSE SHE PLANS TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT IN 2012, just as you want her to, and neither of them want to be running against each other in the same political party, and trying to run the country together at the same time. They both care too much about this country for that.

August 27, 2008 04:56 am at 4:56 am |
  16. Christian

I can't believe some of these comments?! First of all women have fought for gender equality through out the history of humanity and black people just for few hundreds years. However, that is an irrelevant issue! In order to acquire a better American society we need to focus on the issues of "today" with out color or gender, because that is only vanity and it creates division. It is not about where we come from, but where are we going? I think Hillary has done everything she should, based on her position. It is clear the if Obama had chosen her as his VP, he would have united the party. By not doing so, I can only think that either he has everything under control or his ego gets on the way.

August 27, 2008 05:23 am at 5:23 am |
  17. Glen -TX

I think no matter what Hillary said, somebody would find fault. That’s the job of the Journalists and the Republicans. I may not be the perfect Democratic but I was moved by her speech and what she said, they way she said it and the timing of it. I probably would have voted for Barrack anyway, but I for sure am now. Hillary did a great job of endorsing Barrack. She stated that within the first few sentences of her speech. The part about the sisters of the traveling pantsuit, I think that was perfect.

August 27, 2008 08:01 am at 8:01 am |