August 27th, 2008

Castellanos: What Clinton didn't say

Clinton didn't say enough, Alex Castellanos said.
Clinton didn't say enough, Alex Castellanos said.

Hillary Clinton gave a workmanlike speech tonight. She checked the boxes. However, the message many will hear is that her sisterhood of the traveling pants didn't make it this time and was wronged. But keep going, Senator Clinton told her coalition of supporters, and we will make it someday.

At least one Democratic delegate interviewed by CNN after Senator Clinton spoke said Clinton's remarks proved she was denied the nomination because of her gender. That's the speech she heard in the convention hall. The sisterhood of the traveling pants may not be ready to embrace Obama just yet.

If had to title this speech, I would call it Clinton's "Lesser of Two Evils" speech.

She gave all the reasons she ran for president and then said if you believe in those, vote for the Democratic nominee.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Speaking of ringing, she said nothing about the questions she has raised about Obama's preparedness to be president.

It's 3 a.m. and that phone is still ringing.

1. Kate Fergus

Are you trying to be divisive on purpose to create controversy? Or are you just thick?!

She did exactly what she needed to do to unify the party. You must be a McCain supporter because it appears you weren't actively or rationally listening to anything she had to say.

August 27, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  2. Mike O'Brien

She made me think. What exactly is this all about ? Leadership, economy, health care, social security, homeland security, environment, energy.., etc. ? High gas prices, cost of food, home mortgages.., makes one think. Like I said.., she made me think. Mike O'Brien Montana

August 27, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  3. Bob

Remember Castellanos is a REPUBLICAN SUPPORTER.

Hilary said a number of times "BARACK OBAMA IS THE PERSON TO TAKE US THERE"

She also noted that McCain is a total failure and would wreck the country.

I think its pretty clear to anyone with a brain what her message was.

August 27, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  4. Sandy

Leave it to a Republican to hear what was not said. I heard a wonderful speech by a woman who came this close to winning the primaries. She spoke well for herself and she roused cheers when over and over again she endorsed Obama.
    She didn't lose in the primaries because she is a woman, she lost because at the beginning her message wasn't as hard driven as it became toward the end of the process.
    I voted for Barack, because I thought he measured up best to what I want to see happen the next four years. Castellanos did not hear what Hillary said, only what he as a Republican could twist and turn to suit the Republican smear machine.
    Unfortunately, this election process has sunken to new lows. I hoped for better from John McCain, but he has become another Rove message monger, and has chosen to muddy his own message.

s

August 27, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  5. RJ

Castellanos,

I see you've gotten the Republican talking points for the night.

It was a ringing endorsement according everyone else who's seen it. Come 3 am next February, Barack Obama will be answering that phone.

This was a BAD night for Republicans including yourself everywhere.

August 27, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  6. Deanna Woodham

This was an outstanding speech in support of Obama. You Republicans just regret that the Democratic party will be unified against Bush/Cheney/McCain.

August 27, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  7. Robert from CT

If CNN leaves this as its last word for the night, they are morons. CNN needs to delineate which commenters are partisan hacks (right or left) in their material.

How could the endorsement be any more ringing?

She convinced my PUMA family members in Texas, according to my phone call home.

She UNAMBIGUOUSLY and EMOTIONALLY endorsed Obama.

August 27, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  8. Nana

so what? can you just let us enjoy her positive message for at least the next 24 hours CNN? You all are really begining to sicken us all!!!!!!!!!!

August 27, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  9. Michelle

Typical Republican rhetoric. I find nothing accurate in this commentary, Mr. Castellanos. Senator Clinton expressed eloquence and conviction in her speech. Whether Republican or Democrat- or other party member, for that matter- we Americans can be proud that such a strong and inspiring woman is one of our nation's political leaders and a force for necessary change–now.

August 27, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  10. Suzanne Madison

Hillary did an amazing job uniting the democrats. Her words were so compelling and profound that I believe if there was more time for parties to heal, she have made a great VP. I guess if she hadn't of slammed Obama so hard during the primary election maybe she would have had a shot at VP. Oh well.

Pasadena, Ca

August 27, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  11. BRYAN

You get paid to write things like this, right?

Be honest. She could have come out in an Obama t-shirt, chanting "O-BA-MA!" and then begged her supporters to vote for him and you would have still said, "Not exactly a ringing endorsement"

Pathetic.

August 27, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  12. JFK

Considering she got 500k more votes. I think she was more than nice. She handed Obama a silver platter. If he cant win this than thats on him.

August 27, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  13. haas

That was the best speech I have ever heard her give. What more could she have said? It was perfect and all I know is, Obama better top that. I have been an Obama supporter from the start, but I will always have a place in my heart for Hillary.
    I would appreciate it if CNN wouldn't allow Republican strategist Castallanos to post blog questions on Democrats. Where's Cafferty? Again, this is why I prefer msnbc.com

August 27, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  14. Linda

Let's see what she says when some journalist asks the question along the campaign trail...

August 27, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  15. Jason Roberts

I disagree with the tone of the article. Hillary's speech was right on target and right on message. It is time to put aside the hopes of her being president and now the Democrats must come together to stop McCain – no way, no how, no McCain!

August 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  16. REG in Az

I just watched Hillary Clinton’s speech at the Democratic convention and, as you would expect, was impressed. In my own mind I am still sincerely convinced that Barack Obama will be the best for the country yet I am swayed that there probably is little doubt that Hillary Clinton could have had an easier time winning. Which is saying that Hillary is really better at campaigning yet Barack does sincerely offer better focus on the issues and governing skills; obviously neither would have ever make a bad president. In contrast, I am strongly impacted with the feeling that the Republicans basically are currently just literally a real fraud. I’m not saying that every Republican is a fraud but I am saying that I am struck with the feeling that as a party they only represent a few Americans, that they are grossly dishonest and that they arrogantly have no hesitation to just take care of only their own personal interests. This country’s history is built on the achievements of both parties but there have been times when one party was needed to take control and literally stop the other from hurting this country … I think that is where we are at now. I was a registered Republican for many years and believed that the best government was the least government and that government should only do for the people that which they can’t do for themselves … but today those principals have been used to hide a concentration on neglecting government’s responsibilities and on focusing on benefiting only a select few. The Republican Party has aggressively and arrogantly undertaken to try to control and manipulate public opinion for their own purposes, not with fact and honest presentation of their positions but rather with subterfuge and dishonest attacks against anyone who confronts them. If they continue to be successful, the country is, the people are the real and significant losers.

August 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  17. francis

Hillary did an excellent job in endorsing Obama and tied her causes to the same causes that Barack is running and fighting for so I do not understand why the republicans are acting like children wanting her to say things the way they want her to say it when the very essence of her endorsement and support has already said it all.

Obama 08

August 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  18. Richard, FL

"NO WAY! . . . NO HOW!. . . NO MCCAIN!"

– – Hillary Clinton, 8/26/08

August 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  19. George Albany NY

Typical Republican spin....where does CNN find these clowns anyway!!! bottom line she didn"t just knock it out of the park.. ..it was a walk off...and it looks like its game over...for McCain and the reps!!!

August 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  20. Andy_4_Hillary_Only

Let's be very clear here. Hillary Clintion is the one that we need as our President. This is my cry out for all you ardent Hillary supporters. If you want Hillary to be your President in 2012, vote for John Mccain. Obama must lose if you want Hillary as our next president sooner rather than later.

Ask yourself this question: Do you want to wait 4 years or 8 for Hillary to be our inspirational leader? If your answer is 8, it may not even happen then. We can get Hillary elected in 2012 provided we get Mccain elected now.

August 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  21. thumper

What do the Obama people want from her, after stealing the nomination from her.

August 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  22. Evando

Hillary gave excellent reasons to support Obama and she is right McCain is the twin pack for eight years of failed Bush Republican policies. McCain is the anti-Clinton with his anti-women's rights, no equal pay, and his lack of understanding of the plight of average American. As he jokingly said on Leno, he is not sure which table to sit around. Like Michelle Obama, Hillary underscored the fact that women would be crazy if not stupid to throw their vote behind what I am beginning to feel is an unstable if not slightly crazy Senator from Arizona with great barbs and no ideas.

August 27, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  23. Rob in Montana

This isn't analysis. This is republican propaganda. Let's look for a single voice of dissention in the DNC and intepret it as a majority of the party.

I remember when it meant something to be an analyst. I even remember when it meant something to be a republican. it's a sad state of the media and the republican party.

August 27, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  24. Gran for Change

I DID NOT CARE FOR HER SPEECH..! SPEAKING OF PANTSUITS, SHE LOOKED LIKE A ORANGE! HILLARY AND HER BAND OF TRAVELING PANTSUITS CAN NOW TRAVEL THE ROAD TO OBLIVION, OR TO ANOTHER PLANET, GOOD RIDDANCE ONCE AND FOR ALL.. HER HEART WAS NOT IN IT, AND SHAME ON HER, FOR PLAYING THE GENDER CARD ! THE AMERICAN VOTER HAS SEEN THROUGH HER, TIME FOR HER TO GO "POOF!! BYE BYE BYE .. YOU LOST THE ELECTION BECAUSE OF YOUR BLIND AMBITION, GREED, AND SELF SERVING ATTITUDE! THIS ELECTION IS NOT ABOUT YOU OR BILL.... YOUR TIME HAS COME AND GONE! WITH OR WITHOUT YOUR HELP. SEN OBAMA WILL WIN THE ELECTION...... OBAMA/BIDEN 08

August 27, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  25. Amy

wow, CNN, way to put a GOP strategist's opinion out there on your ticker as fact.

As if they would know anything about uniting democrats.

Why don't you ask....oh I don't know, democrats?

August 27, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |