August 27th, 2008

Examining body language: What did Clinton's say?

CNN

Watch a body language expert examine Clinton's speech.

(CNN) - What did Hillary Clinton's body language give away at the Democratic National Convention?

Dan Hill, a body language expert and author of "Face Time," told CNN that even while the words Clinton delivered offered an unequivocal endorsement of Barack Obama, her body language was much less affirmative.

"When she spoke about Obama, she really did not emote very much," Hill said. "The only thing she showed was a very weak smile, the cheeks didn't tend to lift very much, it was really almost what I would call a 'crocodile smile' where even the slight corners of the lips sometimes raise into a little bit of a smirk."

"I don't think that helped move the 30 percent of her supporters who say they won't vote for Obama," Hill added. "What she did do was appeal to voters at large, that she did more emotionally."

1. minh

LOVE YOU HILLARY CLINTON

2. Paul Dobro

I am a psychic and I know exactly what Hillary was thinking during the speech. She was thinking it was a mistake to wear organge, I wish Bill would stop hitting on that woman next to him, and she thinks Barak is sexy and will be a great president.

Hey CNN, why not publish my valued insight on the speech just like the othre fine reporting you are doing!

Way to go CNN!

3. Karen

I agree with Mike in NY, By gosh, Michele O looked like she had hate in her eyes. She looked like she has not care for Hillary at all. In fact, didn't she say at one time, if Hillary was the candidate, she would have to think really hard on voting for her?

4. Hayden

"I don't think that helped move the 30 percent of her supporters who say they won't vote for Obama"

Right on, I'm never supporting Obama!

5. DisgustedByMedia

CNN has hit a new low. Trying to manufacture drama just to have something with which to fill a web page. I'm ready to vote Democratic just as a response to McCain's trivial TV campaign and the cable/web media's incessant noise (don't call it coverage!).
    I used to have so much more respect for McCain before he turned over his principles to the Bush team in 2004 in order to get their support to run this year.

6. mel from Ohio

I thought her body language was positive and affirming along with her words. She did a great job and the "experts" who are picking it a part should get a life!!!

7. Richard Heinlein

Her message was primarily one of multiple first person referrals, in much the same style of George W. Bush oratory. In selling herself and attacking McCain brilliantly, she is discouraging her advocates from supporting Obama and encouraging them to wait for the real deal. The speech will prove immensely beneficial for McCain, and it won't hurt her four years hence since she was able to con so many TV commentators into thinking she was being magnanimous. What a bunch of dummies!

8. Humberto

The DNC should scrap Obamas nomination now! before it's too late to win the whiteHouse. No one can change Obama's history and inexperience, no one will vote for him on that premise.

Democrat for McCain if Clinton is not the nominee

9. Beverly, NYC

Please what's next, analyzing her pant suit color. She gave a good speech, it is what it is. Move on CNN, it's about Obama/Biden. Remember when Hillary went on vacation after the primary and you didn't have a daily post about her, those were the days.

10. karen-phoenix

PS: One of the best things you could have covered was the speech by the Governor of Montana!!! He was great and had the whole convention up and out of their seats. He's what America is!!

11. Nelson Colorado Springs Co

I'm very surprise that CNN or America would pay any attention to what a Dan Hill a so call body language expert say. what about the face expert or the eye expert or the dress or hair expert ,boy talk about being out to lunch. CNN can find anybody to talk about anything much to do about nothing. I hope CNN didn't pay for this interview, it's drilling for oil in the wind And I can sell you some wind. Sen Clinton give a a outstanding unity speach at the Democratic National Convention. Dan Hill is trying to find something wrong with Sen Clinton speach. I didn't know or what college he got his degree from. Don't forget the Republican expert. GO OBAMA

12. Scott Robinson-Woodinville

Hey, hey! All this dumping on CNN is unfair!

It treats them way too nicely!

What the heck-ramsey is the matter with you, CNN?? I look to you to be the neutral medium between MSNBC and Fox News! But your pandering to the right and manufacturing controversies are sickening. You're going to have democratic responders lined up to rag on every republican presentation in their convention, RIGHT? You are going to air democratic attack ads during their convention, RIGHT? You are going to analyze whether Mitt Romney looked like a smarmy used car salesman or not, RIGHT?

God save us; this is the "info" the majority of Americans have to base votes on these days.

13. Kelby from Houston, TX

CNN YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF! Somebody bought this load of crap. and that somebody is MT, Texas.
    He swallowed this garbage. are you happy now. you influenced somebody with your so called news.

14. Joe Cheesehead, WI

Enough CNN. You have killed the horse, bitten it to a pulp, revived it, and now it doesn’t look like a horse anymore. I think who ever breathed life back into it made it into a cat that now has nine lives.

15. Agnes

and what about Michelle, or it's not politically correct to analyze her?

give me a break!

where are the news about uniting the party, or the country...
    bunch of bickering news while the rest of the country struggles

August 27, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  16. HILLARY SUPPORTER

STOP IT ALL READY. NOW THEY ARE PICKING ON HER BODY LANGUAGE WHAT IF THIS WAS RADIO. THE ONLY ADDITIONAL THING SHE COULD POSABLY DO IS PICK UP HER SUPPORTER CARRY THEM TO THE POLLS AND WORK THE LEVER FOR THEM.I THINK THAT THE MEDIA DID ENOUGH TO CLINTON AND THAT'S WHY SHE HAD TO GIVE LAST NIGHTS SPEECH. LOOK FOR ANOTHER SCAPEGOAT. IF OBAMA LOSES THIS ELECTION AND HE WILL HE IS THE ONLY ONE TO BLAME.

August 27, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  17. Seriously?

Hi my name is CNN... im a 24 hr tv show that dispite numerous issues around the world of more relevent importance to the american public i've decide to go the route of reading body language on a candidate who clearly supports Barack Obama.

I mean I "could" cover the conflict of the Georgian-Russian cease-fire where Russian troops are not withdrawing from the country.

I "could" try to do a side by side comparison of each candidates position on the issues.

I "could" try to help the consumer out with things such as advice to get out of crippling debt and savings plans. Ways to conserve energy and live a healthier cleaner life. Or even health tips to help one of the biggest problems in the country, obesity.

But no.... I'm going to push conflicts and drama anywhere i can in the hopes of filling an entire days worth of news.

August 27, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  18. Joe Regis

She did the best she could given the circumstances.

Her legacy will live on. She united a party that was fragmented.

Obama/Biden 08/12.

August 27, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  19. Now4Obama

Enough already with the ratings seeking CNN. I honestly used to wouldn't stoop to this level. Democrats come together and elect a man with vision.

Obama 08

August 27, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  20. Hollis

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??? Nothing at CNN is at face value anymore. You used to be the news network. Now you can only be called a Cabal of Nuance Nitpickers. I am sick to death of your talking heads and producers and editors who cannot abide allowing the viewers to watch a speech in its entirety, (witness countless interrupted speeches such as Leach, Pelosi, etc.) much less leave us to ponder without your overly critical analysis, including telling us what the speakers "had in their hearts" or "were really thinking and not saying" or now, what Hillary's body language really reveals. Then you have the audacity to criticize the Dem's convention because no one is delineating the differences between the Democrats and the GOP, when in fact, several of the speakers (we didn't get to hear if we listened to you) have done that very thing. I don't know if you have a staff that watches PBS or CSpan, but what we want, and what you USED to deliver, are the facts ... NOT your constant "making of news" with your amateur psychologists (also known as your panelists, experts, news anchors) analyzing every vowel's inflection and every nervous tick.

Are you trying to throw this election by your constant analysis, 90% of which is pointing out that what we see or hear is not really what we see and hear, as explained by Gergen, Borger, Blitzer, et al? While you people at CNN were analyzing something meaningless to the future of this country, and making statements bordering on falsehood, PBS's Judy Woodruff was actually speaking with Michelle Obama about the role Hillary had played so far. It was eye opening information coming from Michelle's own mouth, although you'd never know it based on your team's droning analysis. Why not stick to reporting facts? As for me, I'll no longer depend on you. I never watched FOX for the very reasons I will now stop watching CNN.

August 27, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  21. jen

Please watch the convention on C-Span rather than CNN or MSNBC. You'll get to see and hear all of the presentations, and you'll be able to decide for yourself how you feel about them. We need more thought in politics, and less of these shallow stories. Our media is falling apart.

August 27, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  22. ben

CNN- you're making far too much of this. What's next- having a wardrobe expert analyze what she was wearing and what that meant about her thoughts on Obama? Maybe we should start watching Fox News if CNN won't do real news stories.

August 27, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  23. Preet

I can’t believe I read this article. CNN is a trademark and a household name for covering news items that inspires viewers to get the latest and greatest news but I am very disturbed by this article. CNN, don’t get distracted, please stick to covering the news.

August 27, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  24. Virginia Voter

Supported Hillary.... AND NOW SUPPORT OBAMA! Hill did her job, now it's time to elect OBAMA! Let's get this party started!

August 27, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  25. ET

Whats this body language crap? If you noticed the expresion on Michelle Obama' face, looked as if she wanted to knock Hillary off the stage, or does she look that way all the time.

August 27, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |