August 27th, 2008

Examining body language: What did Clinton's say?

CNN

Watch a body language expert examine Clinton's speech.

(CNN) - What did Hillary Clinton's body language give away at the Democratic National Convention?

Dan Hill, a body language expert and author of "Face Time," told CNN that even while the words Clinton delivered offered an unequivocal endorsement of Barack Obama, her body language was much less affirmative.

"When she spoke about Obama, she really did not emote very much," Hill said. "The only thing she showed was a very weak smile, the cheeks didn't tend to lift very much, it was really almost what I would call a 'crocodile smile' where even the slight corners of the lips sometimes raise into a little bit of a smirk."

"I don't think that helped move the 30 percent of her supporters who say they won't vote for Obama," Hill added. "What she did do was appeal to voters at large, that she did more emotionally."

1. MW in California

This is really taking it too far CNN! Why can't we just give Mrs. Clinton her due ONCE AND FOR ALL! She was brilliant last night – the best speech yet at the convention in my opinion. She did not have to do what she did – can she get some credit for standing tall, being graceful in defeat, giving a simply amazing speech, and for inspiring countless women, like me, who see a strong woman speaking for all of us? Who needs a body language expert? Enough!!!!!

August 27, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  2. Mikey

I am also a body language expert and based on John McCain's body language, I conclude he is unintelligent, uninspiring, unethical, and lacks the judgment or temperament required for the presidency.

How about a story on McCain's voting record over the past few years? ...or would that require effort and journalistic skills?

August 27, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  3. Yolanda

I want to send a shout out to all of you who've commented thus far...this is bloody entertaining! Why do a lot of you continute to trumpet the same trite comments over and over about how ridiculous CNN is for publishing Dan Hill's comments? "Disgusted Republican" is right on...let's focus on issues, and I say, help spread the word of our respective candidates, not continue to blog about CNN's ridiculousness.

August 27, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  4. zscott

you're kidding, right? you call this news? please, there are so many substantive topics to discuss... please stop trying to be like fox news.

August 27, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  5. Darrell

Is CNN owned and operated by the McCain family ??? There would be absolutley no other reason that this subject would be brought up.Your news coverage since the convention has been imature,destructive and irresponsible.All we seems to hear lately is how bad the convention is and pick the living crap out of anyones speech and now the lowest of low body language experts.Bye bye

August 27, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  6. Erika, KS

I swear, the Obama fan club is insane! There's just not pleasing you people! Know this: this election is Obama's to win or lose! Period. He can take responsibility on his own and stop blaming Clinton for everything he doesn't like or get what he wants! Enough of this crap.

August 27, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  7. wesley

honestly i think it is enough, you guys should focus more on the candidates and the economy. how can someone detect somebody's body language. this needs to stop seriously, leave the woman alone. she has been through a lot. i am for obama, pls once again focus on the issues and how united states can build its status as the number one country in the world. also end the war in iraq.

August 27, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  8. Steve the Soothsayer

Hillary delivered the requisite minimum for Barack and a substantial amount of praise for herself, her husband and her own followers. That said, it appears that the many who were brought to tears by Michelle's speech were prepared to buy anything offered to them. Hillary and Bill will both no doubt continue to go through the motions, but the bitterness they both feel as a result of their humiliating defeat will linger for years.

August 27, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  9. Tim

CNN has an obsession with the Clintons. They cannot let a story die. They have been pushing the Obama-Clinton storyline past what anyone would consider reasonable. Even if they don't like each other, they are publicly supporting each other. They don't have to like each other to support their party. This has happened before and will happen again between politicians. At this point, they are pretty much just making up stories and making news rather than reporting it. CNN is becoming another Fox News. I beg CNN to stop this terrible form of journalism.

August 27, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  10. Veron

As neutral as I am with the whole political scene right now, even I thought Clinton's endorsement of Obama lack sincerity...body language , facial experession and all.

August 27, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  11. good2know

The republicans didn't want McCain 8 years ago, 4 years ago, and We don't want him NOW!

August 27, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  12. juan bobo

I'm an expert on Hair Language, and her hair was saying something different.

Where do these crackpots come from, and why does anyone listen to them?

August 27, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  13. Lisa

Last nights speech by Senator Clinton just reminded me as to why she should be the nominee for the Democratic Party. I really don't see Obama defeating McCain... Hilary would be a definite win against McCain... I just hope she sticks around and would run again for 2012.

August 27, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  14. Weary

Tom Brokaw once said of CNN, "CNN used to be called the little network that could. It's no longer a little network."

I wonder what he and other decent journalists think of CNN nowadays.

Pathetic.

August 27, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  15. David

Hurray for CNN!

Please be sure to cover the all-important color analysis of Clinton's clothes. That's what I'll be basing my vote on.

Used to be a decent news network....

August 27, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  16. Fatima

OMG !! To this extent ? A Body language expert ?? This is unbelievable !! What do u guys want ? Blow it up ? What do you want ? What is the goal here? Are u meaning to hit Hillary or hit the Democtares as a whole? Let the Unity work. U r spoiling any good news .

August 27, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  17. Obama/Biden 08

Why is CNN doing everything it can to help Senator McCain? I mean, I would expect this crap from FOX News, but from CNN? I thought you guys were better journalists.

So much for that... CNN, you are losing my respect daily.

August 27, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  18. mike

What struck me was what she did say...she stated "that we must win" with about as much conviction and emotion as, well, I don't really know...it was not convincing.

August 27, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  19. kikirocks

It's unfortunate that CNN has lost the respect of so many. Stories like these just make the organization seem more and more like tabloid journalism. I used to be a big fan but not lately.

August 27, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  20. anonymous

Hillary has always had a "crocodile smile." What is new? It is interesting that it meant so much more last night because she was talking about Obama.

August 27, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  21. Give Me A Break!

CNN, cover something that matters!

August 27, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  22. Jayson

Body language? Oy vey. I thought this kind of stuff was relegated to daytime talk shows where people throw things at each other.

August 27, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  23. Howie Bless

This is an all-time low for CNN. I used to respect CNN for their news reporting but that is no longer the case. Now you are trying to make up news rather than report real the news. How sad!!

August 27, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  24. Dee, Tx

Really...CNN...a body language expert....from the "most trusted news source" what next you'll consult a psyhic

August 27, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  25. Cap

WHY ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT HILLARY CLINTON?!? She lost, please take her speech for what it was and go home. This is for the President of the United States, not dictator for life. For as much as I support Obama and his candidacy, I understand that best case scenario he can only be president for 8 years. What would these PUMAs do with themselves if she lost the general election? Bill Richardson was absolutely correct, the Clintons and their supporters live in this delusional state in which there is no existence beyond them and if you refute this postulation you are beyond salvation. I don't know what all these PUMAs and Clintonites are thinking but at this point I would not support ANYTHING in which the Clintons are involved because of the sheer lunacy and baggage that comes along with their presence. The DNC is supposed to be establishing a platform for Obama to galvanize support against McCain not be a tribute to the Clinton past. Obama was right not to pick her as his running mate. It would have been like marrying Dr. Frankenstein – totally brilliant but completely insane with mobs carrying torches and pitchforks everywhere you go.

August 27, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |