August 27th, 2008

Examining body language: What did Clinton's say?

CNN

Watch a body language expert examine Clinton's speech.

(CNN) - What did Hillary Clinton's body language give away at the Democratic National Convention?

Dan Hill, a body language expert and author of "Face Time," told CNN that even while the words Clinton delivered offered an unequivocal endorsement of Barack Obama, her body language was much less affirmative.

"When she spoke about Obama, she really did not emote very much," Hill said. "The only thing she showed was a very weak smile, the cheeks didn't tend to lift very much, it was really almost what I would call a 'crocodile smile' where even the slight corners of the lips sometimes raise into a little bit of a smirk."

"I don't think that helped move the 30 percent of her supporters who say they won't vote for Obama," Hill added. "What she did do was appeal to voters at large, that she did more emotionally."

1. Bryan

Thank you captain obvious. Of COURSE she had the crocodile smile. She doesn't like Obama at all, but admiting that now would be poltical suicide.
    To those of you that thing all is well in the democratic party, it's time for a serious reality check.

August 27, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  2. Leetie

My magic 8-ball tells me that CNN is being laughed at.

August 27, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  3. JB

Whether Hillary's body language said that she was sincere are not Hillary gave a great speech. It took a lot of courage to get up there and indorse your one time opponent. Now its up to Obama to do the rest.

August 27, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  4. Steve

Just imagine what it would be like now if you only had put this much effort and scrutiny into the push to go to war with Iraq over a trumped reason.

August 27, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  5. Halloran in Hoboken

It must be hard to know you are the better candidate, yet have to endorse a man running on a dream.

August 27, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  6. Slick

Wisen up people. Don't pay attention to the media garbage. If there wasn't discord between these two, what would they report?? issues??

August 27, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  7. TN, Madison

I wonder if CNN actually looks at these posts - I'm sure this is really naive, but I really think CNN should post an apology on this. This piece was low, tacky, and totally wrong.

August 27, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  8. objective perspective

This is NOT news worthy at all. I am disappointed in CNN as a network.

August 27, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  9. J-Syxx

This isn't news. This is a joke. Stop trying to stir the pot for ratings you corporate monsters.

August 27, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  10. spikeaus

Body language? Hillary's been stiff as a board all her life. How can you tell? This overanalysis is exhausting. Can't we just vote and get the whole thing overwith already? I won't have any energy left to watch the R's next week. People actually make money reporting this junk.

August 27, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  11. Kurt M.

This story is such trash CNN.

What/who is this Dan Hill person? What credentials does he have?

What is a "body language expert"?

Why are you, a news organization constantly posting opinion after opinion! The purpose of the news to report facts, not opinions. This is basic journalism 101. And where is you second source?? Again, journalism 101.

I'm actually a "body language expert" and to me it looked like she was motioning to one of her aids to bring her some skittles.

And that cnn, is a fact.

August 27, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  12. kelly landroche

A body language expert, give me a break!! It was a great speech.

13. Jasper

I'm hooking Hillary up to a truthitude machine tonight. I just invented the device, which uses a monkey, three sticks and a wad of chewing gum. It's incredibly accurate.

Amazingly ridiculous story, CNN.

14. Hillary Fan from NY

I could read one thing for sure from her body language:

"No Way, No How, No McShame"

Obama-Bidden 08/ Hillary Chief Justice 08

15. Joseph

and what did she have for dinner?

16. Rick

Enough with the analysis of every move made by Hillary Clinton. It just seems like the media wants there to be a controversy. She endorsed Obama and that's that.

17. Mary from Sarasota FL

You know, my husband & I have watched CNN for years but in recent days I am beginning to get really fed up with the spin the hype and downright foolishness your producers are expecting you people to indulge in. Come On now, get over it !! I went to PBS last night to watch the convention... totally tired of all your yammering over every little thing .... It was so refreshing to actually WATCH the convention.
    and btw, on Monday night I noticed you all walked all over the opening ceremony... Come on now... I agree with others commenting here.
    Enough is enough... Mary from Sarasota, FL

18. Huh? Are you joking

Oh yes Hilary blinked only twice when she mentioned Obama therefore meaning... uh absoultely nothing

this is such junk why don't you report some real news

go to digg.com for real news

19. sue

She's not going to forget or forgive. She's definitely NOt presidential material. I didn't watch her, as I just can't stand looking at her, but I could have told you that body language would not suggest she;s really supportive of Obama.

20. Berndt Seattle, WA

What a surprise (NOT!) that people still want to bash Hillary. Get over it. She did what she was asked to do by the pouty NObamas and you still want to give her grief?

Why is it her responsibility to go after the 'negative' ads from the GOP and reiterate the Pied Piper's qualifications? She isn't the nominee, so why isn't it Barry's job to go after those ads and take time to specifically state how he's gonna bring forth all that change and hope he continually rattles on about ? Oh, that's right, he says he runs a different kind of campaing – different in crying foul anytime anyone states a fact proving that he isn't worthy of the nomination, let alone the office of POTUS.

Hillary gave props to that entire sorry-arse camp and all Michelle could do is sit there looking angry and constipated. Why no go after her for body language?

21. Nia - AZ by way of MN

CNN and the rest of the media has stopped to an all time low... Hillaru gave her speech did what she was asked, which was present a speech on Unifying and McCain high negatives. Instead of focusing on the democratic Unity the want to digg for any sign of desent...even going to the levels of studying body language. What is next phycics, a crystal ball reading? The speech went over well leave it at tht...but then again if ther isn't a controversy...there go CNN ratings.

22. C. Aulwes

What a relief to finally see people openly responding to the total nonsense that CNN (as well as other "news" outlets) has portrayed as newsworthy. We are a very well-educated public, and we can see through the pathetic attempts to encite drama.
    Stick to the hard news and quit trying to make every single thing that someone says or does into a "Gossip Girls" episode.
    We have some serious issues facing the United States and diversions that fuel trivial topics are a waste of time.

23. Anne

One really can over-analyze things, you know.. It was a good speech, she really tried, let her be! What's she supposed to do, kiss Obama's feet?

24. Mary

Are you serious with this? Don't we have more important issues to discuss regarding the election then her body language? I think she gave the speech of her life. If her body language wasn't exuding exorbanent amounts of enthusiasm then maybe that's because she was vying for the same job. The women is still human the last time I checked. I am an Obama supporter and have been from the start but I gained additional respect for Senator Clinton as a person who can put aside her enormous loss and focus on what she believes is right. She made our country and the democratic party look good last night, next!

25. Burt

Yet another example of CNN "making" news.
    There isn't any drama, so you've got to create some.

Is there really nothing else to report on?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29