August 27th, 2008

Examining body language: What did Clinton's say?

CNN

Watch a body language expert examine Clinton's speech.

(CNN) - What did Hillary Clinton's body language give away at the Democratic National Convention?

Dan Hill, a body language expert and author of "Face Time," told CNN that even while the words Clinton delivered offered an unequivocal endorsement of Barack Obama, her body language was much less affirmative.

"When she spoke about Obama, she really did not emote very much," Hill said. "The only thing she showed was a very weak smile, the cheeks didn't tend to lift very much, it was really almost what I would call a 'crocodile smile' where even the slight corners of the lips sometimes raise into a little bit of a smirk."

"I don't think that helped move the 30 percent of her supporters who say they won't vote for Obama," Hill added. "What she did do was appeal to voters at large, that she did more emotionally."

1. Jim Ma

hahahah body language expert, wow, pay me ill be one of these so called experts, these news people have an "expert" for every occasion, does America really need someone to tell them in general what to think or feel? because this is getting just plain dumb. Get off the tube people, pick up a real life book, no not a magazine....nobody is saying it because they are scared, but honestly, all this bs lately is making me really ashamed of some of my own people. Think for yourself and stop being led on by morons.

August 27, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  2. jeff

US and Russian warships line up in dispute over Georgia, a possible hurricane about to enter the Gulf of Mexico and all
    CNN can discuss is Hillary's body language! I've had it with the
    democratic convention.

August 27, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  3. LAJimm

Enough is enough. She endorsed him. Of course she wishes it was her. So do many of us but Obama will be the next president and she is behind him. Do you really think that her secret ambition is for McCain to win so she can run in 2012? There won't be a country left to run in 2012 if McCain is elected. We are barely holding on now – 4 more years of McBush will finish us.

August 27, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  4. babs-toronto

CNN must have better things to analyze than HRC body language. CNN adverises the best political team(wolfe blitzer, john king, bill schneider, david gergen gloria borger etc.) well why not talk about the issues at hand. All I hear is will Hillary and Bill truly unite the party are they still upset and so on. CNNs' best political team needs to talk politics not junk it's an insult to their credentials. Who calls the shots and sets the agenda each night, I hope the best political team on tv isn't making news but reporting the news. This has been going on since Obama sealed the deal and won fair and square. If CNN keeps this up they will loose viewership in the long run. CNN wake up, you are supposed to give us an unbiased view of the 2008 elections not talk about Hillarys body language that would be news in the entertainment department not politics.It's an insult to THE BEST POLITICAL TEAM. Don't let me go to BBC and get my news!!

August 27, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  5. Ricardo

Another "Fox Lite" attempt to undercut the Democrats. You'll be beating that dead horse until the election. Why not look at McSame's new ad which LIES about a statement Sen. Obama made about the danger posed by Iran? Time's Joe Klein, the Atlantic's Andrew Sullivan, and ABC's Jake Tapper have seen it, and have called it a LIE. "Fox Lite" apparently is OK with having a liar elected president. Wish I could show you my "body language" toward your network.

August 27, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  6. vote no to McBush & McWar

CNN go search for another republican see how many you can round up with more of the same B.S. and that isnt bean soup.
    Pathetic Pathetic .
    Can't wait till Biden unlashes on them today and from now on.
    Rommney trying to cover up all his truthfull remarks about McBush McSame what a looser pathetic go back to Utah

August 27, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  7. Mauri

Enough already!!! I'm one of those who thinks Hillary need not have had a special speech in which to endorse Obama. What did he do for her? Oh yeah, I know. He did her a big favor by "letting" her speak in prime time so she could tell the world how wonderful he is, and getting trashed for it yet again. Excuse me, but if he wanted her
    supporters' votes, why didn't he put himself out and win them over with his magnetic, celebrity personality. Instead, this woman did her duty to the Democratic party, and what does she get in return. I thought her speech was out of the ballpark. Body language? Doesn't bother me. Haven't you people ever seen jury specialists who can look at a person and tell how she or he will judge a criminal? Same thing. There are just some things you can't hide!

August 27, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  8. Val from MA

Precious... Bill Clinton is voting for McCain in November. Nice!

Go McCain!!!

August 27, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  9. Gary Glenn Combs

It is one thing to be upset that your candidate didn't win the nomination. But for some Hillary Clinton's supporters to say that they're not going to vote at all or even commit political suicide and vote for the other side sounds like a spoiled brat speaking. These people don't sound like they are concerned with the issues that should be making us together fighting mad and uniting us as Democrats more than ever. If the Democrat lose this November, it will be because of Hillary Clinton's supporters walking away in the heat of battle.

August 27, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  10. Nick

I don't understand the anguish that everyone is showing. CNN REPORTS the news and doesn't make it. If you don't agree, switch to another channel and get a life. I tend to agree with CNN on that one.

11. Jon

Whoever said this was her best speech ever doesn't have much confidence in her speaking ability. That was about as mechanical as a speech of this magnitude would allow. Hillary is clearly hoping Obama loses this election, so that she can make a run in '12.

12. steven schwab

i hope this guy does not make a living with his misinterpretations. Hillary only gains from the Democrats being in the White House.

13. Give Me A Break!

I guess we'll have to read his comments on Bill's tomorrow....Who cares!

14. TomInSanFrancisco

CNN, give me a flippin' break!! This is exactly the kind of substance-free story that 24-hour cable news gives us instead of meaningful news about candidates and issues.

Enough already.

15. id&eye

You should see my body language as I read this article!

Are you kidding me . . .

16. anon

Even if the "body language" expertise was solid, shouldn't that person do so without using prior knowledge of Hillary's attitudes, so as not to "read" her signals without bias? Hill's statements after affirming a supposed 'crocodile smile' reveal that hebrought his own preconceived ideas into his reading.

17. Ben

I have decided to boycott CNN. They used to be a respectable news network. Now it is all trash. More like FAUX everyday. MSNBC is where I will tune in from now on. Shame on you CNN. By the way, MSNBC is the fastest growing cable news network now.

18. RT

CNN, Get a life. You are beating a dead horse to death. Stop trying to influence public opinion and keep making issues out of nothing. I couldn't stand Hillary during the primaries but I was very proud of her last night and have regained some respect for her. The party is uniting. Keep trying. Isn't McCain running an attack ad that you should be covering right now?

19. Stacy from Loudoun VA

Come on guys. What's next? Astrologers? Witch doctors? Fortune tellers? No wonder I cannot find Lou Dobbs, he must be hiding in shame for this stuff. You guys have done a solid job for the most part, and you are now a broken vacuum that sucks and blows at the same time.

20. Sherry Curtis

If we could bring back all those who were lost in the war in Iraq; knowing what we know now, who do you think they would support the democrat's or republican's???

21. RM, Columbia, MD

Actually, I'm pretty sure I detected that Hillary broke wind every time she mentioned Obama's name. Does CNN have a fart expert to explain that? Note to CNN: There are wars raging, world hunger, global warming, a new hurricane, and on and on. Can you spare a reporter to write about one of those trivial matters? Where's Walter Cronkite when you need him?

22. Aaron Gannon

This is absurd "analysis." CNN, you lost some respect from me for even considering this stuff relevant.

August 27, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  23. Matt

Wow CNN is just pushing things too far. Is this really something that needs drawn attention to? Why not just let people decide for themselves.

August 27, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  24. Steve

Hey I read this article already - only it was in US Weekly and it was about how Angelina really feels about Brad.

August 27, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  25. OhioMOM

Look, Hillary said she was very depressed throughout the summer after the primary loss. This speech had to be very difficult for her. I give her kudos for her efforts on behalf of all Obama supporters.

Time will heal all, and hopefully he will be smart enough to offer her a position in the Administration.

August 27, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |