August 27th, 2008

Examining body language: What did Clinton's say?

CNN

Watch a body language expert examine Clinton's speech.

(CNN) - What did Hillary Clinton's body language give away at the Democratic National Convention?

Dan Hill, a body language expert and author of "Face Time," told CNN that even while the words Clinton delivered offered an unequivocal endorsement of Barack Obama, her body language was much less affirmative.

"When she spoke about Obama, she really did not emote very much," Hill said. "The only thing she showed was a very weak smile, the cheeks didn't tend to lift very much, it was really almost what I would call a 'crocodile smile' where even the slight corners of the lips sometimes raise into a little bit of a smirk."

"I don't think that helped move the 30 percent of her supporters who say they won't vote for Obama," Hill added. "What she did do was appeal to voters at large, that she did more emotionally."

1. Ex-mod-GOP for Obama

A non-issue. I think she did marvelously in what had to have been difficult circumstances. She earned a lot of respect from me.

August 27, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  2. shame on CNN

I'm very disappointed in CNN, this is ridiculous! a body language expert? what's next? A psychic? Stop fueling the fire and talk about what matters! shame shame shame shame on you CNN!

August 27, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  3. janis - Missouri

Media needs to back off!

August 27, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  4. lol

can't wait till president mccain wins in november. hillary 2012! nobama!

August 27, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  5. Let's talk issues!

I totally agree with "Disgusted republican" who stated above "Let's talk about the many serious issues that are facing our country today, and how McCain and Obama views differ."

When are we going to just focus on the facts and what the candidates plan for our future! Then decide which future we want?
    4-8 more Republican years?

August 27, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  6. S. Shay

CNN is just dying to be totally eclipsed by MSNBC as more of us move there for a non-Obama bashing time. McCain has Fox and Obama has MSNBC and CNN is trying like hell to make itself more and more irrelevant. If it wasn’t for Anderson Cooper I’d probably never tune in and now it looks like I need to divorce Anderson and leave CNN alone.

August 27, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  7. UNDECIDED

I truely believe that america got it wrong.
    This woman is amazing,,,
    She should have bee the nominee for Pres or VP
    She was terrific ...
    God Bless America

August 27, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  8. Dee, North Carolina

Bologna!!!!!! You can get a so-called expert to say whatever you want. She did a wonderful job and I have renewed respect for her. Yes it was difficult but she did what was best for this country and the Democratic Party. Get over yourself....expert my foot. I hope you dissect the RNC the way you do the DNC.

August 27, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  9. Joshua College Station Texas

I agree completely. Her ulterior motives were signaled by weak body language in support of Obama.

But it does not matter. People who want to vote for Obama will. For those on the line, I say, set aside concerns about race and experience and listen to how he measures issues–he is thoughtful, intelligent, chooses good advisors, and listens to good advice. He also does not accept bad advice. He will make a good president. And his wife will be a wonderful spouse! Please don't trust McCain. He is falling in line with the NeoConservative decision makers of his party and his policies are now evidently those of the Bush administration. McCain won't be exactly like Bush, but he is not going to be very much better, because he can't be–the Republican power players in the background won't let him.

August 27, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  10. Mark Smalling

What a pile of junk that is........of course look who it's coming from ,CNN.

You people need to grow up or go find a real job somewhere.

August 27, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  11. Mark D

Hey CNN,....I got an idea. Why don't you just hire Sylvia Browne too and get her to tell us what's going to happen to Obama and McCain in the future. Perhaps you might might consider bringing Jerry Springer on to do some moderating too. Might as well make the full transition to junk TV.

August 27, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  12. JOE KILOZ

G ET -M E-- O U T--O F-H E R E ! ! !

August 27, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  13. Anonymous

Will you and your other talking heads please shut up and let the voters make up their own minds. I do not need you to tell me what was said or how it was said.

August 27, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  14. Used to be McCain

I used to support McCain, but I am sick and tired of his negative ads. Like Hillary Clinton wants to be in them!!! I'm now supporting Obama, like HIllary said, with pride.

August 27, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  15. Yongester

As a Canadian watching Hillary's late speech (yawn), I'd say Michelle Obama's facial expression spoke volumes in itself!!

August 27, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  16. Shaun B, Washington DC

So what? I don't care if she doesn't believe everything she said about him. What matters is that she did what she had to do to ensure that her party is stronger this November.
    If we had these "lie detector" guys watch politicians all the time, they'd probably find a pretty high rate of people not saying what they think. Like it or not, doing that is an important part of the political profession, even for non-sleazy officials.
    But at least talking to this guy allows lazy media outlets and out-for-blood citizens to more easily play "gotcha" - after all, the most important thing is trying to interest people with the lowest attention spans, in order to make money.

August 27, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  17. jd

why wasn't michelle smiling during Hillary's speech?????

August 27, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  18. JF

What happened to you people at CNN ?

August 27, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  19. judy

Aren"t we overdoing this just a bit... The media has way too much time to fill...or TO KILL. The major message from the media covering the DNC is the party split and Hilary making it right.

This is not what I SEE ;but what I HEAR from the best political team.

Let's move on. Media look at the red meat.

August 27, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  20. Elizabeth

PATHETIC! PATHETIC! PATHETIC! PATHETIC! PATHETIC! PATHETIC!

Is this the BEST you got??? Body Language analysis??

I heard all the media is going on about basically nothing. Creating news!!

Andrea Mitchelle trying to insist Bill Clinton just isnt on board with Obama, though he already has said he is!!

They have nothing to work with that is negative, so they create it.

Just like s-e-x cells, so does negative media commentating!

August 27, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  21. Karen - Missouri

No wonder C-Span has become THE station to be in our homes. You guys are soooo desperate for a story. Body language???? Good Lord, Cnn is NOT the best political ANYTHING!

August 27, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  22. Kool-Aid-Drinking

<<<Telling the expert he is number one in my book...with one finger...can you guess it?

August 27, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  23. Julianna

Are you serious? Can this woman do ANYTHING to get yor approval? Why must the media pick her apart to this degree. This is why we are stuck with Dud-bama.

August 27, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  24. weeza

Maybe she just had a botox injection. Can analysis pickup on that?

August 27, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  25. GP

This is what 21st century journalism has come to?

What a absolute disgrace and insult to your readers. Please, just report the facts as clearly and concisely as possible and allow us to provide our own analysis.

August 27, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |